Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Where is your zero set? Normally zero my rifles @ 250 yards. Now that I have a turret to turn I was thinking about 100 yard zero. What's your opinion? My maximum self imposed range limit is 600 yards.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
IF your 250 yard sight that you normally use works for you why not stay with it?

Last edited by bcraig; 02/27/15.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wherever I have my turret set is my "zero" all depends on the terrain and what I'm hunting.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Reloader, I use a 200+ yd zero because its what I've always done. There are reasons and benefits to why its a good idea.

My thinking is why take the benefit of point and shoot at 300 yds or less away.

The turret is still there for the long shots where most likely 10% of your game will be killed.

Its a free 300 yd benefit that in no way hinders the latter. Win Win

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Where is your zero set?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by deflave
Where is your zero set?

Travis

Yep...that is why the scope has twisty thingies on it!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use very high velocity cartridges and sight in at 300 yards. This means max height mid range is no more than 3". I can hold on to 350. After that I can twist.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

100m zero.

I carry the rifle set at .7 mils, which is the 250m zero.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
With my turret scopes I will zero at 100 yards. Now that I know my rifle is dead on at 100, I'll adjust my turret for 250 yards, then reset my turret. I like 250 yard zero for hunting cause from 100 to 300 yards no real adjustment is needed for those quick shots.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
On hunting rifles with a duplex and no turrets, I like a 175 yard zero, because it feels natural (to me) to hold over a little more at longer distance, and I prefer not to hit too high at mid-range.

I zero my turrets at 100yd though.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hellsfire....if you can whack a white 5 gal. bucket from 50 yards....you're good to go!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
200 yard zero works for me and where I hunt. If I had a turret style scope then I would use 100 yard as zero.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
200 if using a CDS dial. MPBR (3"@100)with no dial.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
200 here.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
100 yds on mine....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
200 yard zero

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by RMulhern
Hellsfire....if you can whack a white 5 gal. bucket from 50 yards....you're good to go!!

Seen that at a public range once, three outta 5 shots hit a paper plate at 50 yds and heard a 'were ready' declared. shocked grin

OP, 100 yards via Nightforce zero stop.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here's a question for the original poster. I see 100 yards showing up the most. Are those who don't agree with the majority wrong?

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Where is your zero set? Normally zero my rifles @ 250 yards. Now that I have a turret to turn I was thinking about 100 yard zero. What's your opinion? My maximum self imposed range limit is 600 yards.

My zero is set in the bulls eye. Where's yours set???? whistle

[Linked Image]

Even the big guns get dialed in that way... whistle

Honestly though, it really depends on the capabilities of your rifle, scope, turrets, range you plan on shooting, reticle etc... Is this for your 300 wsm??? When I was shooting my 300 wsm (FN PBR XP), I ran 165's at around 3000 fps, dialed a Nikon Monarch X-tactical 4-16x50 and zeroed at 100 yards. I kept a dope sheet in my pocket for proven drops with that combo. Easily made 1 shot kills past 600 yards.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For a lighter weight walking around hunting rifle, I've ordered custom dials with a zero set near MPBR, so I can take full advantage of the cartridge and range. Providing the said rifle is accurate enough to make clean kills at that distance:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This fairly lightweight hunting rifle (30-06 EW in Mcmillan edge stock) topped out at 660 yards as set up with scope/mounts, CDS, bullet used etc....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
200 for 1" scopes (w/CDS). 100 for 30mm tubes and M1 or CDS.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
225-275 depending on the round. The zero stops are set below the zero at 100.

Don't think there's really a wrong answer as long as the shooter understands his/her set up.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
bsa1917, that 9.3 group is impressive.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks, it's likely it will never happen again laugh. I love the accuracy of the rifle and it puts elk size critters down very well too:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
She was trotting through the scrub oak at 85 yards away. Rifle has a ballistic plex reticle, so I keep it dialed in at 100 yards. That works great for elk hunting, since most of my shots have been less than 100 yards in the timber. Got lucky and found this one in the scrub oak. Kind of a narrow shooting lane though. I'd say it's just as important to stay practiced up in the off season as it is worrying about your zero. Keep things as simple as you can on a pure hunting rifle. Make sure it functions without failure, is accurate and you'll be doing great. Truth be told, for most hunting situations the use of MPBR will be the best place to set your zero. This is if you don't dial and don't use a ballistic plex reticle. MPBR is the most efficient and easy to use method for zeroing a hunting rifle, but it's not talked about too much here. Maybe things have gotten too modern and guys forget about it. Who knows???

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I personally prefer 200yds - turrets or not - on pretty much anything that is scoped over 22lr. On Leupold's CDS scopes, this gets me 700-800 depending on caliber/load on a zero stop MOA dial (which is the most limiting turret set-up I have).

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
.. Is this for your 300 wsm???

Yes sir. I'm just getting started with a turret scope. So, I have a lot to learn.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Shodd

The turret is still there for the long shots where most likely 10% of your game will be killed.

Shod

Very much agree.

Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
Here's a question for the original poster. I see 100 yards showing up the most. Are those who don't agree with the majority wrong?

I think not. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Reloader, I use a 200+ yd zero because its what I've always done. There are reasons and benefits to why its a good idea.

Shod

Lie the man posted. There is no down side.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
With most calibers in the 30/06, 270, 308 Win, 300 Win Mag class if you zero at 200 yards....just hold about 3" low at 100 yards and if you get a shot at 300 yards...just hold the horizontal wire a couple inches down from top of the back and you're in the kill zone! Don't even have to worry about the knobs!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
R
I zero for 200. That way I don't really have to make allowances from 100 - 300 because a zero hold easily puts me inside an 8 inch circle. Anything over 300 I dial in.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No offense to anyone here, but some of the statements seem a little optimistic. I would suggest at a minimum using your info(bullet, velocity, etc) and plugging in to JBM Ballistics (and set range increment to 25yds) to get a good idea of your actual trajectory. This doesn't eliminate the need for verifying in the field, but will give you a very good idea.

Again, I like 200yds as out to about 250 I'm within 2" of my aim point - I personally don't like to start off knowing I'm more than 2" off.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
TXRam,

I personally don't like to start off knowing I'm more than 2" off.

I picked 3". What bullet and velocity are you running?

Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Several, but the load I'm working on right now is a 150gr LRAB at ~3150fps via a 7WSM Montana.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RetPD
I zero for 200. That way I don't really is have to make allowances from 100 - 300 because a zero hold easily puts me inside an 8 inch circle. Anything over 300 I dial in.

Smart man.

Zero at 200. Extending your pointblank range, from 100 yards zero is much better for me.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On my last hunting lease, I would sight in at 2.75" high. This gave me a MPBR of 325 yards with the load I was shooting. I knew that a 400 and even 500 yard shot was possible given wind judgement.
I lived in the midwest for a dozen years and most of my shots were either with a shotgun or short ranged (under 100 yards) with a rifle.
Since moving back to Texas and finding a new place to hunt, 90% of my shots are <100 yards. There are a few places on the ranch to shoot out to 500-600 and I'm working some loads, rifles and scope combinations back up to be able to take those shots. Haven't settled on a 'new' sight in range just yet.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
All my rifles are sighted in for 100 yards dead on. If need be I can dial it in with my tarets.

Tom
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
so it sounds like several guys use a zero at "X" yards and then have a drop "cheat sheet" and dial according to that. am I understanding that right?

Why not have a turret made with the yardage on it and eliminate that step? just a question, not looking to flame anyone. just wondering why more folks aren't doing that.

I like having it right there in front of me, so I range, click and shoot. I know where my rifle is going to hit at anytime simply by looking at what range it is set at.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
so it sounds like several guys use a zero at "X" yards and then have a drop "cheat sheet" and dial according to that. am I understanding that right?

Why not have a turret made with the yardage on it and eliminate that step? just a question, not looking to flame anyone. just wondering why more folks aren't doing that.

I like having it right there in front of me, so I range, click and shoot. I know where my rifle is going to hit at anytime simply by looking at what range it is set at.

Turrets with designated ranges, for designated loads, at designated speeds, in designated conditions, are a one-trick pony.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Ringman
I use very high velocity cartridges and sight in at 300 yards. This means max height mid range is no more than 3". I can hold on to 350. After that I can twist.

So you actually hang targets at 300 yards and make point of impact and point of aim be the same? And every high velocity cartridge that you shoot with a 300 yard "zero" has a max ord of no more than 3 inches? Also what is the group size of your rifles and target size that you find acceptable?

Originally Posted by JGRaider

Just trying to be sure- MPBR is +3 inches at 100 yards? What size MPBR?

Originally Posted by Fotis
200 yard zero

Do you zero POA/POI at 200? Or do you zero high at 100 for a 200 zero?

Originally Posted by Bbear
On my last hunting lease, I would sight in at 2.75" high. This gave me a MPBR of 325 yards with the load I was shooting. I knew that a 400 and even 500 yard shot was possible given wind judgement.
I lived in the midwest for a dozen years and most of my shots were either with a shotgun or short ranged (under 100 yards) with a rifle.
Since moving back to Texas and finding a new place to hunt, 90% of my shots are <100 yards. There are a few places on the ranch to shoot out to 500-600 and I'm working some loads, rifles and scope combinations back up to be able to take those shots. Haven't settled on a 'new' sight in range just yet.

2.75in high at 100 presumably? And that resulted in what zero? What size MPBR? And what size target are you comfortable with? What does your rifle group on average?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Sorry for the drive by's....

How did you arrive at a self imposed 600 yard range limit?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Travis

Same here for centerfire. Rimfires are 50.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Sorry for the drive by's....

How did you arrive at a self imposed 600 yard range limit?

Formid, I often wonder how many of these guys really know what MPBR is and how it works????? Sorry, I'm not directing my coments toward Reloader as he is a very good guy and asking an honest question. I know he's been shooting the 300 WSM for a long time now and is wanting to switch things up a little and start using a turret. I'd suggest a good ballistic calculator/program, coupled with a good chrono and LRF. Practice at intended hunting ranges and confirm drops. Make sure the scope dials as it should.. We may also need a little more info about the rifle/scope combo and the loads he uses as well.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I site in all my big game rifles dead on at 200. I then plug in my data to JBM for shooting long ranged obvious shoot to confirm. I go with 200 because I believe I can point and shoot during a hunting situation from 0-300 without dicking with my scope. 300+ requires adjusting the turret.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
POA/POI 200 yards. I just checked this weekend as I was at a range with benches, a rarity for me. I usually shoot from prone or sitting at random distances. New lot of powder and change of primers had POI about 3/4" low. I made the correction. If you want to be zeroed at a certain yardage, you have to shoot at that yardage. Calculations don't cut it for your zero.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
rvp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We shoot on my 300 yard range at my camp year round. Most of you know thst the zero you set for the hunting season will change all year long with temparature and humidity. Some powders are a lot more temp. tolerant than others.I use a 3" high at 100 dead on at 300 and 8 inches low at 400 type zero. I don't have many shots at 400 maybe 1 every 3 years,most are between 150 and 300. I've taught myself to use a low hold on the close up deer and a high near the top of back hold on those at 400. My 264 win mag does the rest. However a 250 yard zero would work 90% of the time. Depends on caliber and preference of the shooter. My crosshair is always on the deers body.

SHOOT STRAIGHT AND OFTEN. Hunt with your kids. Teach them not to shoot anything that they are not going to eat. Have respect for all ANIMALS.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I zero at 100 and dial to 200 when I leave the trailhead--dial further as needed.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[

Just trying to be sure- MPBR is +3 inches at 100 yards? What size MPBR?

The same size I'be been using since 1978 with my 7RMags/160's. wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tom1947
All my rifles are sighted in for 100 yards dead on. If need be I can dial it in with my tarets.

Many times when I am shooting LR, first I use my tarots to suss out the dope, then after the shot I often excercise my tourettes. Occasionally I will use the turrets as well. YMMV

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rvp
We shoot on my 300 yard range at my camp year round. Most of you know thst the zero you set for the hunting season will change all year long with temparature and humidity.

There must be something wrong with my load/rifle combos.

Travis

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rvp
We shoot on my 300 yard range at my camp year round. Most of you know thst the zero you set for the hunting season will change all year long with temparature and humidity.

Travis

Me too........unless I do load workup in the Sonoran desert in August, and hunt Siberia in February.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rvp

Travis

No, it's Shrapnel's ammo

A wise man is frequently humbled.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by rvp
We shoot on my 300 yard range at my camp year round. Most of you know thst the zero you set for the hunting season will change all year long with temparature and humidity. Some powders are a lot more temp. tolerant than others..

At 300? Maybe. But that would be an extreme differances to see a noticeable shift in zero at 300 yards. Even still, all the more reason to zero at 100 and adjust for longer.

Why the side step?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Originally Posted by rvp

Can't say that I knew that in fact I have never experienced a zero shift all year long. I fact if may zero changes I know that I have a problem that needs addressing.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I zero at 100, to minimize environmental deviations.

It's no trick apply 200 yard correction to the turret while traipsing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Why the side step?

Why do you care? I'm a mere mortal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

Turrets with designated ranges, for designated loads, at designated speeds, in designated conditions, are a one-trick pony.

Travis

Of course, most of us have multiple rifles with multiple dials so we can perform several tricks in lots of conditions. grin

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

A waste of money for all those dial, since a mill or MOA turret works perfectly for any and all conditions/rifes or loads.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Because you gave an answer and I'm trying to understand your reasoning and method. Only someone who is unsure of why they are doing something or those who don't understand what it is that they are actually doing avoid such questions.

Notice- no one else has broached an answer to the same questions asked, save BSA apparently because he can read sign.

-

3,2,1 cue passive aggression.....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I zero hunting rifles with Plex reticles for MPBR, B&C for 200 or 300 as appropriate, some dial yardage systems are sighted for MPBR and others at a set even distance, and turret scopes are usually sighted for 100 and carried with the turret dialed for MPBR. More than occasionally I'll slip the scale on a turret or CDS scopes to make the chart match the conditions, and have sighted ballistic reticles in at 400 or 500 with the appropriate crosshair to move the errors back to where they don't matter as much.

A couple of my rifles have summer and winter loads, since its easier to bring the velocity back to the chart than the chart to the velocity.

I have my own 1/2 mile range, and have tried just about everything once. Shoot F-Class too.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Because you gave an answer and I'm trying to understand your reasoning and method. Only someone who is unsure of why they are doing something or those who don't understand what it is that they are actually doing avoid such questions.

Notice- no one else has broached an answer to the same questions asked, save BSA apparently because he can read sign.

-

3,2,1 cue passive aggression.....

Yeah, I'm very unsure of myslelf.......using MPBR/3"high @100 with 160gr/7Rmag is self explanatory. I don't like answering stupid questions when the answer is obvious.

Last edited by JGRaider; 03/10/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where is your zero set? What's your opinion?

Since this is asked on the LR forum......

I see no reason for a 100 yd zero, as I'm not interested in threading any f'ing needle, so I use 200.

Jack Schitt

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwp475

A waste of money for all those dial, since a mill or MOA turret works perfectly for any and all conditions/rifes or loads.

Agreed. It just took some of us longer than others to reach that conclusion. whistle

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Where is your zero set?

Travis

Yep...that is why the scope has twisty thingies on it!

Which assumes you'll always have time to use them twisties and in any sitchie-a-shun.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In the summer I go with 100 just because it's easier to get a precise zero and check it after you've dialed up and back down. Once hunting season gets close, 200.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Which assumes you'll always have time to use them twisties and in any sitchie-a-shun.

How much more time do you figure it takes to twist a dial than turn the power up and use the reticle?

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W

How much more time do you figure it takes to twist a dial than turn the power up and use the reticle?

I have shot a couple elk that gave me about as much time as a flushing pheasant. No time to twist anything.
That's why I use a 250 yd zero.
But zeroing at 100 and carrying it set at 250 would work too.
And give you the ability to thread the needle better in heavy cover. May have to change my SOP.

Last edited by WYcoyote; 03/20/15.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by WYcoyote

I have shot a couple elk that gave me about as much time as a flushing pheasant. No time to twist anything.
That's why I use a 250 yd zero.
But zeroing at 100 and carrying it set at 250 would work too.
And give you the ability to thread the needle better in heavy cover. May have to change my SOP.

That's what I do with turrets.

Zero at 100, dial to 250 when it's time to start hunting.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
rvp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Model70Guy, I guess if you zero for (minute of deer) most folks would not notice temp and humidity variations. However when shooting at a 1" bulls eye at 300,it is noticeable.Took my 1000 yard rifle to the 600 yard range and noticed a change on the second day we shot with only a 30/40 degree change. Reloader 22 changes a lot more than Varget for me. Most of the time a 1 to 2 inch change of POI on the side of a deer won't make a lot of difference to the deer. I was not saying any ones gun was not zeroed to their satisfaction. I shoot a 160 Sierra game king in my 7mag, 7STW and the 7mm ultra when using them for hunting. I still like the old 264 mag for my area.What caliber F class rifle do you prefer ?

SHOOT STRAIGHT AND OFTEN. Hunt with your kids. Teach them not to shoot anything that they are not going to eat. Have respect for all ANIMALS.
B
B
In my 300WM i use a 300 yard. Its a good adjustment to 400. Its 3.50-4 inches till 300 and at 400 its 8 inches low so I adjust for it. After that I use BDC.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Depends on the rifle and scope. Mostly 200 yards but occasionally 300 as it gives me a little more distance in one revolution of the turret.

I don't see my POI shifting all year either.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by rvp
Model70Guy, I guess if you zero for (minute of deer) most folks would not notice temp and humidity variations. However when shooting at a 1" bulls eye at 300,it is noticeable.Took my 1000 yard rifle to the 600 yard range and noticed a change on the second day we shot with only a 30/40 degree change. Reloader 22 changes a lot more than Varget for me. Most of the time a 1 to 2 inch change of POI on the side of a deer won't make a lot of difference to the deer. I was not saying any ones gun was not zeroed to their satisfaction. I shoot a 160 Sierra game king in my 7mag, 7STW and the 7mm ultra when using them for hunting. I still like the old 264 mag for my area.What caliber F class rifle do you prefer ?

I missed this one, but better late than never.

I like the STW as well, have 4 of those now. Since I generally just use them as general purpose zero to 600 heavy sporter, none of those are even wearing a turret scope at the moment. One has a CDS, and two B&C reticles. The last one has a Zeiss plex reticle and I'll swap that out for a Mark 4 one of these days and think about VLDs. Since for the use I put them to a hunting bullet is well suited 3 out of the fourare using 160 grain Accu-bonds. I use the same bullet in my 7 Rem as well. I have a lot of fun with my .264 Win Mag too, even though logic does force me to admit that anything it can do a 7mm or .300 can do better.

For the most part I shoot F-Class with my long range hunting rifles, since I like my shooting to have a point. I use a .300 Win in Open, and a 1-8 twist .223 in F-TR. That one may not have a real point, come to think of it.

The last match I shot was a modified format, with distances of 600, 800 and 1000 yards. We used the 300 yard target at 600, and 500 yard target at 800 and 1000 to give a 1/4 MOA V-bull and a bit of extra challenge. We reasoned that since we invented F-Class the rules are whatever we wanted them to be, and allowed muzzle-brakes to let the big .338s play. I used my Defensive Edge Canyon Rifle in .338 Edge for that match.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On a hunting rifle I zero for a +-3" MPBR. That means a centre-of-shoulder hold on a pig, goat or deer out to near 300y for most rifles.

I'd hate to be stuffing around with turrets anywhere inside that range. Every second wasted is another chance for the game to bolt.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 68 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.