Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Who's going hunting this year?

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
We'll see when the leftover list comes out. Scratched out on the draw today.

RLTW
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Coming your way in Sept. SRM.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Holy crap! My son and I applied for a general license with zero pref points and got drawn. We weren't planning for this, but we'll take it. I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions? We're experienced hunters, but we've never hunted WY. The WGFD website could not be any less helpful.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Do you plan to do a hunt on your own, or do you plan to hire an outfitter? Are you an archery hunter or a gun hunter? How old are you, and what kind of shape are you in? How much time can you devote to the hunt? How much money can you afford to spend? Have you hunted elk before? How important is it to you to actually kill an elk? How important is it to you to kill a big bull elk? Do you have any experience with horses? How well do you like grizzly bears?

Answering some of those questions might help you get started.

WyoM70

IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Blaino
Holy crap! My son and I applied for a general license with zero pref points and got drawn. We weren't planning for this, but we'll take it. I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions? We're experienced hunters, but we've never hunted WY. The WGFD website could not be any less helpful.

As a non-resident, you are generally required to hire an outfitter to hunt in designated wilderness areas. There are plenty of elk outside of those areas however.

WyoM70

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

I can see area 36 (General Area)from my living room window and I hope the heck I do not have to hunt there this year...... It's a little crowded!
JMHO

Last edited by wyoming260; 02/26/15.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Blaino--Initially, I felt the same way you do about the WGF website. But, after I learned how to navigate thru it, there is a wealth of information there. Keep trying and be patient. There is of course even better info on this site,so you are in the right place.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My buddy and I got skunked. Hoping for a leftover!

Want to hunt with my in-laws, but guess I can always do ID.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Struck out on the bull tag.

I will be stalking a reduced price cow! (which I've found as tasty as the full price model)

The upside of carrying a cow tag is the guarantee I will again have close encounters with big bulls.

IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by WyoM70
Do you plan to do a hunt on your own, or do you plan to hire an outfitter? Are you an archery hunter or a gun hunter? How old are you, and what kind of shape are you in? How much time can you devote to the hunt? How much money can you afford to spend? Have you hunted elk before? How important is it to you to actually kill an elk? How important is it to you to kill a big bull elk? Do you have any experience with horses? How well do you like grizzly bears?

WyoM70

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I think I'll do some serious homework, then start my own thread. All good questions. Thanks.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
No elk tag in Wyoming, I hope it won't take seven more years to draw again.

Good luck to all that drew a tag.

Golden............
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I struck out this year but hard to complain when I got a 6X6 elk last year.

Congrats to those who got a license for this year.

Steve

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by WyoM70

WyoM70

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I think I'll do some serious homework, then start my own thread. All good questions. Thanks.

Blaino -

Starting a separate thread would be a good idea. There is so much ground to cover that the discussion needs its own space elsewhere.

There are a lot of resources to help point you in the right direction on 24hourcampfire. Once you have some ideas of what you might want to do, post up some questions and you'll get plenty of advice, opinions, and maybe even some worthwhile ideas!

Remember that drawing a WY elk tag is a high class kind of problem to have.

Good Luck this fall!

WyoM70

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I drew a tag for Unit 24!!!

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by WITUfan
I drew a tag for Unit 24!!!

If you are a non-resident and managed to draw one of the very few Any Elk tags, then you have beaten some tremendous odds!

Regardless, congratulations!!

WyoM70

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by wyoming260

I can see area 36 (General Area)from my living room window and I hope the heck I do not have to hunt there this year...... It's a little crowded!
JMHO

Come on over to 98.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Should be fewer Griz to worry about in 98 than in some areas.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by Jaguar

One thing he's definitely not seeing out his window in 36 is grizz!!!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by mikeylikes
Originally Posted by Jaguar

One thing he's definitely not seeing out his window in 36 is grizz!!!

Yep , no Grizz concerns , just the endless supply of trucks with 4 atvs each headed passed to clutter up the woods on area 36 and 34 and 35 and 45 and well you get the Idea..........

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

605 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,039 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,269
Posts18,448,309
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.