Hop To
C
crsides Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Hi All

The really nice 358F I picked up a couple weeks ago is going on the block. I am getting paranoid just getting it in and out of the safe. I hunt in Mt Rogers area of SW Va and have taken several falls on my arse that I would not want to subject this beauty to. And if I were to keep it, I would be adding a sling, a pad and scoping it. Sooooo....

I will again be looking for a 358 shooter grade 99. A pre mil 99R would be ideal, or a pre mil F. I could warm up to a later 358 E or a brush gun. If you have something like this, and want to up grade to a collector condition gun in pre mil 358F, send me a PM. The seller I got it from was asking $2500, but I was able to trade a couple items and a fist full of $100 bills to get my cost down to $2200. I would also be open to selling this one out right.

here is a link to the original posting with pics. If you need other pics, just let me know. I will have limited computer access next Mon - thurs , Mar 2nd - 5th.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9592577

Charlie

Last edited by crsides; 02/27/15.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Ouch, .358s come dearly and extract a high toll on the wallet. Best of luck!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
You're not going to want to shoot that w/o a pad, and you're not going to want to put a pad on it.

You're screwed. grin

That's what I'm thinking.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck with the sale.

I can't figure this logic, though. My wife is the sexiest most beautiful woman I've ever seen in person. I don't not sleep with her because of it. I've had great cars before, and I drove the crap out of them even if they were beautiful. They were MADE to do those things. The Savage was MADE to hunt. Can't see not using it for what it was made for, but to each their own, and good luck with the sale.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If he can sell for twice the price of a shooter grade of the same rifle, he can pocket $1100 and have a clean .358 to hunt. I think his challenge may be getting the $2200 he wants for the rifle.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
The 99 has a high collector value placed on it because of its great condition. Did your great cars sell for more than what you paid for them after you drove the crap out of them? I'll refrain from putting your sexy beautiful wife in that analogy. It's really not a hard concept, but as Fireball2 said the real challenge will be getting a full bore price.

Last edited by S99VG; 02/27/15.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

C
crsides Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I am a S&W collector. In the safe are 60+ yr old guns that are NIB. Along side those are my shooting/hunting guns. I never confuse the two. But you can be a collector and a shooter/hunter. I'm 68 in a few weeks, and too old to buy and wait on something to appreciate in value. Been doing that for the last 40 yrs. I know a lot of you guys have done the same with your 99's.

So I will be a S&W collector and a Savage 99 shooter.

Appreciate the comments, and in particular, the sexy beautiful women ones.

Charlie

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't hunt with a gun you pay 2200 for.

One accident and it's worth half or less.

You want a 358 to hunt with pay half that for it and don't be afraid to drop it.

I took a tumble walking down a mountain 25 years ago with my gun over my shoulder. Picked myself up and proceeded to look about 5 minutes for my gun. When I found it, wasn't in the same shape as when it left my shoulder, but was still operational. I cringe to think that would have been one of my high condition 99's

To get to Roy's point: Good luck getting ur money back on it.

Sincerely.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Why not? Thousands of hunters pay more than that for custom rifles that they hunt with. It's a question of preference. You may or may not want to hunt with a rifle that you've paid that much for but to say "can't" is BS. It's up to the owner as to what he or she prefers to do or prefers not to do. The OP has chosen not to hunt with it. Others in this same thread have said that they would. It's not up to you, it's up to the owner of the rifle.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by crsides
I am a S&W collector. In the safe are 60+ yr old guns that are NIB. Along side those are my shooting/hunting guns. I never confuse the two. But you can be a collector and a shooter/hunter. I'm 68 in a few weeks, and too old to buy and wait on something to appreciate in value. Been doing that for the last 40 yrs. I know a lot of you guys have done the same with your 99's.

So I will be a S&W collector and a Savage 99 shooter.

Appreciate the comments, and in particular, the sexy beautiful women ones.

Charlie

Have you thought about getting another safe?

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In 20 years somebody else will pick up that rifle from somebody else and have a very sort after Minter. Because by then all the others will have been hunted with
I myself Have made the same choice with a rifle before and felt comfortable with the decision
Good for you Charlie

One in the hand is better than two in the bush

Graham
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Obviously "can't" represents a subjective threshold for use. As for me, based on my humble income, I would say that I choose not to use such a firearm for hunting if it were mine. And that decision would be based solely on my personal wealth, which is relative to everyone else on this forum. As for the wealthy guys, go ahead and hunt with the rifle, that certainly is your perogative. Be glad that your decisions are not burdened by financial constraints. It is just a different call for us working stiffs. And that's just a fact of life.

Last edited by S99VG; 02/28/15.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only Mules and Horses get more valuable the more "BROKE" they get. Even riding a woman hard does not up the anty.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only Mules and Horses get more valuable the more "BROKE" they get. Even riding a woman hard does not up the anty. If you got a collector piece and you are gonna shoot/hunt with it......it will no longer be a collector piece.

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/28/15.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I fell and put a bunch of big scratches on my prior to that lightly used 99DL 284 while elk hunting. I figure that knocked at least $500-600 off the value and I really regret it. There is now one less lightly used 99DL in 284 in the world.
There are a lot more well used 99's than there are pristine 99's. From my standpoint as a collector the pristine guns should be kept pristine and use the heck out of the others. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Skidrow

Why not? Thousands of hunters pay more than that for custom rifles that they hunt with. It's a question of preference. You may or may not want to hunt with a rifle that you've paid that much for but to say "can't" is BS. It's up to the owner as to what he or she prefers to do or prefers not to do. The OP has chosen not to hunt with it. Others in this same thread have said that they would. It's not up to you, it's up to the owner of the rifle.

You want to take a prisitine 60 year 99 out and drop it on a pile of rocks, go for it.

I'm not going to try and stop you.

Everytime that happens makes the ones that are left worth that much more. wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Strangely enough I agree with you and have sent several "collectable" firearms down the road because of that. Still, whether to use or not to use a particular rifle just because of its relative value is the owner's decision, not yours or mine. Just trying to point out that fact.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
B ump

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,692
Posts18,456,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.