Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#9640781 02/27/15
Kenlguy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Every knife with wooden handles or grips are always "stabilized." What exactly does it mean? Bear with me here cuz I have absolutely no idea what goes into making a quality knife.

So how do you stabilize a wooden grip?

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I belive they use high pressure to force liquid resins into the pores of the natural scale material and when the resin cures the natural scale material is more resistant to moisture, cracking, and shrinkage.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Danny pretty much nailed it. depends on the specific process, but typically some form of process whether via pressure or vacuum is used to draw a resin into the wood. I stabilize my own woods in a lot of cases. I have a vacuum chamber which I use along with a two part epoxy catalyzed resin.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dale, are there other woods you makers use besides Ironwood that don't require stabilization...?
I've heard that Ironwood doesn't require stabilization because it is so dense (and it has oils in it) that it actually resists stabilization...that the resins would only go so deep...basically just surface stabilization. And after y'all got done shaping and grinding, that the 'stabilized' surface section of the Ironwood would be gone anyway...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ebonies, blackwoods, rosewoods, cocobolo etc. do not need stabilization. Hard, dense, and oily do not benefit.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That's pretty accurate. There are a few sort of "fringe" tropicals and hardwoods like Bocote and some Rosewoods, Ebonies and other varieties that can still benefit from stabilization, but it's a sort of hit and miss situation depending on the specific situation. It's mostly about how oily and/or porous the wood is. I haven't found a situation where it hurts anything per se, but there are lots of cases where it just doesn't or wouldn't take if you tried to stabilize certain types of woods.

Dale

Check out my new website

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Danny pretty much nailed it. depends on the specific process, but typically some form of process whether via pressure or vacuum is used to draw a resin into the wood. I stabilize my own woods in a lot of cases. I have a vacuum chamber which I use along with a two part epoxy catalyzed resin.

Heat is also used in conjunction with the vacuum. More times than not, you are talking acrylic resins rather than "epoxy" resins...but the end results are fantastic. I have always used a man named "Nicholas", which is his business name as well. He's the absolute #1 man in the biz. I have used WSSI and have have had very poor results with their product for what they charge.

My last piece he stabilized for me was a chunk of cypress that was carbon dated at 48,750 years old +- 500 years...it turned out eye popping.

Last edited by Godogs57; 03/02/15.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
They don't catalyze the resin under vacuum, it's done as a separate step and the acrylic is typically a two part "epoxy" or acrylic epoxy.

Check out my new website

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Godogs57

My last piece he stabilized for me was a chunk of cypress that was carbon dated at 48,750 years old +- 500 years...it turned out eye popping.

Would love to see a pic or two of that.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
325 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 43 invisible), 2,196 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.