Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Any notions on keeping the carrier from getting all stoved up?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I despise them and refuse to use them. Put the spare in the bed, on the roof or mounted on the grill.

I'm not taking the time to mess with an under-body tire carrier, much less lying down in the wet muck I'll probably be in when a tire goes down. YMMV.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Main problem is they just collect crud till you need to use it and then it's too late. If it's already screwed cut the cable and replace it , Dorman makes replacements. Slather the new one with heavy grease and once a month crank the tire up and down a few times. If it still works but is crudded up you might be able to soak it and free it up then slather it and reinstall. As for carrying the spare in the bed , they're not just used on pickups so not always an option.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
exercise does wonders..........

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by StudDuck
I despise them and refuse to use them. Put the spare in the bed, on the roof or mounted on the grill.

I'm not taking the time to mess with an under-body tire carrier, much less lying down in the wet muck I'll probably be in when a tire goes down. YMMV.

BTDT. I carry a tarp behind the rear seat dedicated to that.

As good as tires are nowadays, flat tires seem to be pretty rare and Murphy requires it happen in a downpour on a dirt road.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I haven't changed a flat on a pickup in 20 years. 8 and 10 ply tires take a lot of poking to go flat.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

BTDT. I carry a tarp behind the rear seat dedicated to that.

As good as tires are nowadays, flat tires seem to be pretty rare and Murphy requires it happen in a downpour on a dirt road.

Tarps are also useful for putting on chains, or for getting down in the snow to hook a towstrap onto a sedan that's gone off the road, taking a load to the dump, or...

Speaking of which my tarp isn't currently in the truck. Not a bad idea to carry a pair of Grunden bibs for the same tasks.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by high_country_
exercise does wonders..........

Yep. I'm borderline neurotic about brake dust on the back of my wheels, so my spare is dropped pretty frequently (since I don't have a second jack, I need the spare when tires get rotated). I have not had an ounce of trouble with my carrier.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure how it is now, but 99-06 Chevy's had a 'secondary' latch on them that was supposed to engage if the cable snapped to keep the tire from falling. The trouble was when crud got in the secondary latch, it refused to let go.

That is all swell and good until you're on side of road, it is 15 degrees out, 5" of snow on the shoulder and more coming down. Luckily dad had same truck and could bring me his spare. Made him check that his would come down, it wouldn't. He ended up cutting the cable to release the tire.

Youtube has videos on what to cut off so this doesn't happen to you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess I'm lucky because when this happened

[Linked Image]

I had over 100k on the odo and had never had a flat or need to use the spare. Don't know if the shop had to do some magic to get the spare down, but when I put the replacement wheel back on, no problem getting the spare back.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Lubrication and run it down and up every so often.
Oil the lock too

Last edited by TBREW401; 02/25/15.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I keep a 12v compressor, tarp, and a really nice plug kit my uncle gave me for Christmas in my truck. I can plug it and air it up in 20 minutes or so usually. I haven't put a spare on one of my vehicles since I started this program. I'll have to look and see what brand the plug kit is, I know he uses his at work for tractor tires and other equipment. It's all machined SS and much sturdier and nicer than your average WallyWorld plug kit.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i had an aftermarket wind-up carrier on an old ranch truck. never once had a problem with it, but we used it often.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=TheKid]I keep a 12v compressor, tarp, and a really nice plug kit my uncle gave me for Christmas in my truck. I can plug it and air it up in 20 minutes or so usually. I haven't put a spare on one of my vehicles since I started this program. I'll have to look and see what brand the plug kit is, I know he uses his at work for tractor tires and other equipment. It's all machined SS and much sturdier and nicer than your average WallyWorld plug kit. [/quote

Sounds like you're well prepared, but plugs won't work on a blown side wall.

Deer season of 2013, I was coming home for lunch, hit a rough spot in the road and blew a six inch gash in the sidewall of a new tire.

It had to be a manufacturing defect, but nevertheless, it happens.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
[quote=TheKid]I keep a 12v compressor, tarp, and a really nice plug kit my uncle gave me for Christmas in my truck. I can plug it and air it up in 20 minutes or so usually. I haven't put a spare on one of my vehicles since I started this program. I'll have to look and see what brand the plug kit is, I know he uses his at work for tractor tires and other equipment. It's all machined SS and much sturdier and nicer than your average WallyWorld plug kit. [/quote

Sounds like you're well prepared, but plugs won't work on a blown side wall.

Deer season of 2013, I was coming home for lunch, hit a rough spot in the road and blew a six inch gash in the sidewall of a new tire.

It had to be a manufacturing defect, but nevertheless, it happens.

Very true sir and why I also keep a 24" breaker bar with the proper deep socket to fit my lugs. On long trips over roads of suspect quality, such as the Dalton highway, I pack at least 2 spares. I just toss one of my winter tires in the bed if I want an extra. Put 1800 hunting trip miles on both of my pickups at once last fall going caribou hunting, 600 some odd miles of gravel and thankfully we only had one flat. Tarp, plug, and compressor had us back in action in 20 minutes.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The recommended lug nut torque on my Dodge is 120 ft lb. My torque wrench only goes to 100 so I take it to the max and give it just a bit more. It takes a long breaker bar to get that much and my electric impact wrench won't even come close.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I got my ram 2500 I had to get a 150 ft/lb torque wrench and an IR impact wrench to bust the lug nuts loose.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.