Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Wanting to buy a good quality screwdriver set.Any suggestions.Looking at the magna-tip from Brownell's.Good bad or something better.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Far as I know, the Brownells magna-tip set is as good as it gets, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to claim that I am full of sheise.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have the Wheeler set from Midway. they work for me, but I have not used the Magna-tip drivers

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
As mudstud said, it's going to be hard to beat the Brownell's set. Just make sure whatever you choose, get the magnetized as it will save a lot of time looking for ring cap screws on the floor and is great for removing and placing screws in places fingers won't go.
John

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I'm sure the screwdrivers recommended are very good. But, I've done very well with a red handled set of electrians screwdrivers for a number of years now that I bought at a Harbor Freight store. Slot heads are ground flat and all are magnetized. Fairly inexpensive too.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to use the Wheeler set but recently got a Weaver set. The Weaver set has more tips (some that will never be used), and I found the Allen (hex socket) tips were rounding on the Wheeler set.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Chapman have worked well for me for years, you can buy new and different tips individually as needed. The small ratchet works on the tips or the screwdriver handle for extra leverage while keeping down pressure for those hard to remove screws. Whatever you get my suggestion would be to get a set with hollow ground tips. I'm sure the Brownell's would be good too.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
deleted

Last edited by Cabriolet; 03/04/15.

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Get the Brownells, break a bit and they will replace it, FREE. Service after the sale and you will break or twist them.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I recommend this particular Brownells Magnatip set to our Gunsmithing students. They can later add the thin bit set and whatever else they want, but this one takes care of 95% of their needs as is, and it only costs around $50.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...magna-tip-screwdriver-set-prod22300.aspx

Bill Jacobs

NRA Endowment Member
Bolt&Barrel Gunsmithing, Greenwood, SC
www.boltandbarrel.com
U. S. Army Veteran
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Strangely enough I use quality hardware store screwdrivers mostly. Heresy I know but most screws I've met aren't tight enough for buggering. wink For the rest the recommended set is excellent. I buy a couple extra bits of a common size for replacements but mostly to grind for that rarely met oddball screw that the usual suspects don't fit.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Strangely enough I use quality hardware store screwdrivers mostly. Heresy I know but most screws I've met aren't tight enough for buggering. wink For the rest the recommended set is excellent. I buy a couple extra bits of a common size for replacements but mostly to grind for that rarely met oddball screw that the usual suspects don't fit.

Heresy? Not really. Any quality screwdriver will work.

I purchased the Wheeler 89-piece set years ago, but I have an old American made B-Square set that I use 99% of the time.

I would've liked to have purchased the Brownells set, but my budget wouldn't allow it at the time. Looking back, I should have purchased the $50 Brownells set and just added to it as money allowed. When I do break a Wheeler bit, I replace it with one from Brownells.

Last edited by StudDuck; 03/05/15.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Chapman makes some very nice sets. They are made in the USA and very high quality. Amazon sells a few different sets depending how much you want to spend and which bits you are looking for. Worth checking out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,506
Posts18,452,586
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.