Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I fixed the Flop at the Fulcrum but won't be able to shoot until next weekend. I'll post an update then.

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
I called Ruger today and asked about the availability of left hand stocks. It was an older lady I talked to. I told her I was interested in ordering a standard left hand stock to use on a compact left hand 243. She said "we don't make a compact left hand". I explained Davidsons has 60+ in stock, as an exclusive. Anyhow, she said I could order a standard left hand stock for "around $30". I should have ordered right then but probably will call back this week. I decided on a 243 compact and will order the spare stock for proper LOP.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
IDMilton or 4th point, have you guys worked any more with your Rugers?

I haven't done a lot of shooting with mine (American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor) and don't even have a decent scope for it yet, but had some surprisingly good results with the 123 Amax this weekend.

The only modification I've made to the rifle was opening up the barrel channel, it's got about 1/16" gap around the barrel now, so no chance of contact at all.

This was only the second load I tried, using RL-17 in reformed 7.62 military brass, and the 123 Amax set out to max mag length (~2.845"). I'll be doing more fine tuning when I pick up another scope, but it looks promising.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your rifle is shooting great!

I haven't shot mine again, because I sold it. A buddy was in town visiting. He liked mine, so we went into Missoula looking for one and couldn't find one in stock anywhere. Since I think I'll try a stainless one next time, I sold him the rifle and all my stuff for it.

I liked the rifle and the ones I've seem to be shooters once they get figured out.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since I have an FFL, I very seldom buy current production guns at retail, but none of the wholesalers that I regularly buy from have had any RAR Predators, so I ended up paying about $60 over wholesale to buy the Creed for $380 on Cabela's recent sale. The Cabela's sale ran for 11 days, Feb 5 thru 16, but they kept running out of inventory and replenishing inventory, but wouldn't give me a "rain check" for the 204 and 223 RAR Predators that I wanted to buy. Kind of annoyed at Cabela's, but even if they knew, they wouldn't care.

The way mine is set up, Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 in Warne Maxima rings, it weighs in at exactly 8 lbs. and balances nicely. Due to cold weather and snow drifts, I haven't taken it to the range yet, but am looking forward to doing so.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
My lefty all weather compact has the new criss cross pattern of spacers. Does have a little flex but seems decent. Have ordered a standard length lefty stock which Ruger said would ship right away. Probably will Ebay the compact stock or save it for when the kids are old enough. I'm assuming the standard lefty stocks are also the current version. I thought of using silicone rubber for filler

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yondering, your RAR looks to be shooting well. I ordered a plywood Boyds for mine and put the rifle aside for a bit.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Im grabbing one soon, are you guys bedding the stock also or just messing with the forends? It looks like their version of bedding is working but I am always looking to tinker and improve performance.

Also regarding gaps on spaghetti noodle forends, a quick check is to put a little ball of modeling clay between the forend and the barrel. If you set up on your rest (bipod, pack, sling pressure etc) or shot and the ball is compressed you know you need to open it up some more. I tend to run at least a full 1/8" on an injection molded stock.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The weather is going to be nice today, sunny and no wind, so if I can get away from my daily rounds, I'm going to take the RAR Predators in 204 and 6.5 Creed to the range.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KenMi
My lefty all weather compact has the new criss cross pattern of spacers. Does have a little flex but seems decent. Have ordered a standard length lefty stock which Ruger said would ship right away. Probably will Ebay the compact stock or save it for when the kids are old enough. I'm assuming the standard lefty stocks are also the current version. I thought of using silicone rubber for filler
If/when you decide to sell that compact stock, please let me know! My 7yo will probably end up with a Standard American this year and I was planning on buying a Compact stock for it. I may trim the 22" back a bit, but think the 18" might be a bit too loud for him.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Im grabbing one soon, are you guys bedding the stock also or just messing with the forends?

On mine (6.5 Creed Predator) I only opened the forend channel, and deburred the stock, no other modifications to the rifle at all. Seems to be shooting well so far, see my target posted above.

I usually bed most of my rifles, but not sure I'll bother with this one. I'll have to use it more before I decide that though.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
I got my stock today from Ruger. LH SA standard stock. The gun dropped right in perfectly. The stock seems stiffer in the front than the compact one that came on it. Both are the improved criss cross style. Barrel is perfectly centered. Considering foaming the butt and possibly filling the forend with either epoxy putty or black silicone.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Im grabbing one soon, are you guys bedding the stock also or just messing with the forends?

Also regarding gaps on spaghetti noodle forends, a quick check is to put a little ball of modeling clay between the forend and the barrel.

The clay ball is a good idea. I sanded and rasped a fairly large gap between barrel and stock, more than 1/8", and it still rubbed.

I used epoxy in the fore-end but it allows the fore-arm to flex near the action. I hate plywood but ordered a Boyd's last week. They are way behind on filling orders.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 36 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,038
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.