Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I agree with both of you that the Edges are great stocks and I've bought several of them. But when a really good deal isn't currently in the classifieds and you don't feel like, waiting 6 mos this newer design or whatever it is , is a good option. Unless Win has done an actual redesign on the B&C that they have been offering in the EW's this is not the same stock that's on the EW's that's all I'm trying to relay to you guys. This rifle weighs 6lbs 8 oz and 6lbs 10 oz on the two scales I checked it on and that's with a EGW 20 MOA rail mounted. according to Win this rifle in this caliber should weigh 7 lbs empty.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
For those of you that don't like the clubby B&C stock that comes on the M70 Extreme Weathers, there's another option without spending McMillan type money. I recently ordered a B&C Stock from Redhawk rifles for a newly acquired M70 and this stock I recieved is not the same B&C that's on the extreme weathers, the grip is much thinner as is the fore end. It actually feels like a first gen Ti stock. I'll try to get a weight on it as it feels pretty light, well under 2lbs. If you already knew this then I'm late to the game but I am tickled pink with it and figured I'd pass it on. Here's the link to the stocks, I ordered the SA version.

http://www.redhawkrifles.com/products/stocks/bellcarlson/sporterstocks/winchesterarms

I think B&C redid the medalist stock and it is called the medalist classic with checkering ??????????? I have a brand new EW I picked up last week .264 and the stock feels a bit clubby but will live with it . They had 3 264;s come in at the same time and they all looked the same every last one of them. I think eventually I would get a replacement if I could find a edge stock that balances with a 26" barrel

stocky link

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 02/28/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
AlaskaCub, I'm wondering if they also changed the stocks on the new Winchester EW? You would think a Medalist is a medalist is a medalist. Yes or no? Were you handeling a SA stock, because the SA EW stocks are said to be a little more slender than the LA EW stocks. At least that's the word on the streets.. Weight has also never been a real concern with the EW stocks, but bulkiness has been.

I've noticed a difference between the LA and SA also with the SA feeling trimmer.....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree with both of you that the Edges are great stocks and I've bought several of them. But when a really good deal isn't currently in the classifieds and you don't feel like, waiting 6 mos this newer design or whatever it is , is a good option. Unless Win has done an actual redesign on the B&C that they have been offering in the EW's this is not the same stock that's on the EW's that's all I'm trying to relay to you guys. This rifle weighs 6lbs 8 oz and 6lbs 10 oz on the two scales I checked it on and that's with a EGW 20 MOA rail mounted. according to Win this rifle in this caliber should weigh 7 lbs empty.

That's good info right there. Do you have pics of the stock? Sounds lighter and trimmer to me. The medalist's are a strong stock with the aluminum bedding block, but we know some of the other offerings from that company come up short. The important thing here: Does it work well for you? If yes, keep using it!!!! I'm all for going less expensive every chance I get, trust me. I use the hell out of factory Winchester tupperwares too, but they are heavier than mcmillans, they are also not as strong, but when properly glass bedded the rifles shoot like a house afire and I don't have to invest in the Mcmillan to have a great all purpose rifle. You got to make you happy when it comes to your rifle choices, no one else!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This thread made me take the EW out of the safe and break it down grin

Rifle on a postal scale is 7 lbs 6 ounces

The Stock weighs 31.6 ounces

264 win mag with a 26" barrel

Can;t get the trigger below 3 lbs so I might or might not get a Ernie spring since the 3 lbs is very crisp

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
This thread made me take the EW out of the safe and break it down grin

Rifle on a postal scale is 7 lbs 6 ounces

The Stock weighs 31.6 ounces

264 win mag with a 26" barrel

Can;t get the trigger below 3 lbs so I might or might not get a Ernie spring since the 3 lbs is very crisp

That's pretty good with a factory MOA. The best I could ever do was 3.5 pounds. I replaced all of mine with the erniethegunsmith spring and got the majority down to a clean 2.5 and my favorite was one I recently sold (2008 limited edition). I was able to get that one down to 2 3/8 pounds. Very crisp clean trigger that broke like a glass rod.. As a matter of fact, I think the OP of this thread has that rifle now... He can probably comment on the trigger on that rifle..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
OP, if that's the 2008 limited edition with the EW tube you are having cerakoted, you are going to love that rifle!! It's a great shooting sombeesh. Can't wait to see the pictures of the rifle when you are done with it... I also have the original barrel from that rifle. It was shot to confirm it was damn accurate (only has 40 rounds fired through it) and then I pulled it off and had my smith put that EW tube on it. My smith is a class act and did an excellent job on that one. If you shoot the EW tube out, you know where the original tube is for your rifle... wink

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
OP, if that's the 2008 limited edition with the EW tube you are having cerakoted, you are going to love that rifle!! It's a great shooting sombeesh. Can't wait to see the pictures of the rifle when you are done with it... I also have the original barrel from that rifle. It was shot to confirm it was damn accurate (only has 40 rounds fired through it) and then I pulled it off and had my smith put that EW tube on it. My smith is a class act and did an excellent job on that one. If you shoot the EW tube out, you know where the original tube is for your rifle... wink

Good infö will order one . I like 2.5-2.75 pull weight. What do you torque the stock down to? I went 45 inch lbs today.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
bas is correct this rifle has a very nice crisp trigger,

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

For those of you that don't like the clubby B&C stock that comes on the M70 Extreme Weathers, there's another option without spending McMillan type money. I recently ordered a B&C Stock from Redhawk rifles for a newly acquired M70 and this stock I recieved is not the same B&C that's on the extreme weathers, the grip is much thinner as is the fore end. It actually feels like a first gen Ti stock. I'll try to get a weight on it as it feels pretty light, well under 2lbs. If you already knew this then I'm late to the game but I am tickled pink with it and figured I'd pass it on. Here's the link to the stocks, I ordered the SA version.

http://www.redhawkrifles.com/products/stocks/bellcarlson/sporterstocks/winchesterarms

I think B&C redid the medalist stock and it is called the medalist classic with checkering ??????????? I have a brand new EW I picked up last week .264 and the stock feels a bit clubby but will live with it . They had 3 264;s come in at the same time and they all looked the same every last one of them. I think eventually I would get a replacement if I could find a edge stock that balances with a 26" barrel

stocky link

This appears to be correct looking at the stocky's link. These are checkered. I noticed that stocky's only lists a SA model for the Model 70. I have a standard medalist on a 700 LA. It is very clubby feeling in the grip, and fairly slick without checkering. I may sell it and get one of these to get a first hand opinion of just what's up with this B&C 'classic' checkered. Even if it is still clubby, with the checkering the I see no reason it wouldn't be an upgrade from both clubby and slick.

*edit* Scratch the idea of ordering a CDL style checkered one for any reason if the listed weight of 39 ounces is accurate.

Last edited by drano 25; 02/28/15.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just another tidbit,the grip area of this stock I got is exactly 5" in circumference, I believe that the BC on the EW's has a 5.5" circumference on the grip.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

What cartridge did you get? Can you post a picture? 6 lb. 8 oz. sounds very nice.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
300WSM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw an EW in .25-06 the other day and having never handled one asked to see it, seemed like the handgrip area was too short for me! Like a pocket auto that needs a pinky extender or something.

Loved the SS, trigger and fluted barrel.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
300WSM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That rifle looks great buddy!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
300WSM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dang, that looks really good. So, how long before we can see it in the classifieds? I know you will. grin

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Comparing this stock with my own, it seems that the fluting starts further up the barrel channel in your stock then it does on my factory EW. Forrend is either shorter or the fluting pattern is longer on the short actions.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bearstalker
[quote=AlaskaCub]

Dang, that looks really good. So, how long before we can see it in the classifieds? I know you will. grin

You must know me!.....grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Comparing this stock with my own, it seems that the fluting starts further up the barrel channel in your stock then it does on my factory EW. Forrend is either shorter or the fluting pattern is longer on the short actions.

Good catch, here's the same rifle when it was in the Mcmillan hunters compact and we all know the hunter compact has a pretty short forend...:

[Linked Image]

That stock has to be shorter than the std EW medalist...

Here's another EW in a hunters compact edge stock for comparison as well:
[Linked Image]

VS. original B&C medalist factory EW stock:
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yup that appears to be it. In addition to being shorter it's leaner too.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,695
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.