Print Thread
Hop To
F
fjlee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I was recently given an almost new laptop computer. It does not have a CD drive. It does have USB ports.

I also have a PC, which does have a CD drive and USB ports.

I am the original owner of version 3.3 of QL. It is on a CD.

I am NOT NOT a computer person.

I'd like to install my QL on this new to me laptop. Is this possible, since the laptop does NOT have a CD drive?

I have a feeling that if this installation is possible, it's still beyond my skill level.

Comments or advice please.

Thanks folks.....

FjLee

BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm not Bill Gates, but I'd try putting the dish into the PC and copying everything on that disk to a flash drive. Then put the flash drive in the laptop and see if you can get the installation program to fire up (look for a .exe file).

Good luck!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
XL5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Download Daemon Tools Lite from here. It's free. Install it to both your desktop PC and to your laptop (you don't say, so I presume they're both some flavor of Windows).

Put the CD in the CD player on your desktop and use Daemon Tools Lite to create an ISO (disk image) file ("Make Disk Image"). Transfer the image file to your laptop by USB or over the network. Start Daemon Tools Lite on the laptop. If all goes as planned, it will display a list of all the disk images stored on that HDD, including your new QL ISO. Locate it on that list, right-click on it and select "Mount." This will mount the image as a "virtual CD drive." It also should autostart the QL installation program (depends how you're configured).

When you start Daemon Tools Lite on the laptop, if the CD disk image does not appear in the list offered, open Windows Explorer, drill down to the directory where you put the image file, right-click on it and select Open With> Daemon Tools Lite.

If QL setup does not autoplay, open Windows Explorer and look for the virtual CD drive. Windows doesn't know virtual from real so it will appear in Windows Explorer as if the laptop now has a physical CD player. Double-click on the drive letter. It either will open or autoplay QL setup (depends how you're configured). If it doesn't autoplay, look in the root directory for the setup file and double-click on it.

Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert
-- old German proverb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put the disk in your desktop, flash drive of appropriate size in USB. Explore the CD, copy all files on CD and paste to flash drive. Flash drive in laptop should load when clicking on the .exe file.

Swifty
C
C
Just purchase an external USB CD/DVD drive for your laptop - price range seems to run $15 to $25. If you'd desire a BluRay and or a rewritable drive external USB drive - then you're looking at the $35 to $50 range.

I just checked Amazon and there are pages full of them.

You might also want to update your QL disk; current version/update version is 3.8 - cost is $15 plus shipping (and tax if applicable).

Last edited by capoward; 05/13/15.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.