-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This isn't the smallest, but this thing will heat, heat fast and has plenty of control for warm to hot settings on the dial. It is about as bulletproof as you can get and comes with spare parts built in. I made the container out of stove pipe to keep and carry it in...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is the next one I'd like. Dunno why...

Soto Muka

[Linked Image]

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
shrapnel:

Neat stove. It's not a Coleman model 520 because it seems to be made of steel, not aluminum. Is that a model 530 or an early Peak One?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16bore
This is the next one I'd like. Dunno why...

Soto Muka

[Linked Image]

Looks like a good one. Might weigh less than a Whisperlite.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Talking about a "Jetboil" is like talking about a "Ford"... there's a lot of models that vary (particularly past models) quite a bit... an F350 and a Focus are both Fords but not exactly the same.

I suppose I like to boil water as quickly as possible, with the least amount of fuel, so dicking around with other stoves isn't my bag anymore. BTDT. The only "cooking" I do is to wrap trout in foil and drop them in the fire. I don't fret a couple ounces with the Sol Ti +/-. I like its simplicity and speed, and its miserly ways appeal to my inner Norwegian/Yankee.

I've used mine in the single digits, but in real cold I prefer a WG stove.

As to the Svea 123, I've hundred's of nights with mine, and have used it well below zero. Never, ever had a problem lighting it, but mine is a pre-regulator model. It's a veritable blowtorch no matter the temps, and I've even used leaded gasoline in it in a pinch.

Yeah, that was a while ago.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
11.8oz w/ the pump and fits in a Ti 450 mug. My Dragon Fly is 14oz and will barely fit in a Ti 1400. Biggest hiccup with the DF is the monkeying with the burner to fit. Don't think it's a $150 problem though. Still a neat little stove.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MSR's and its ilk still really need the wind screen... that ain't gonna fit in the pot!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

There is a modified jetboil I cut down with a SOTO stove inside and 100 gram fuel canister. Sub one pound.

I find that the extra speed in which you get to a boil let alone the weight savings, if going for a week or more which is pretty often as I do 5-7 week long trips a year usually so it makes sense. If you only do 3-5 day trips usually especially solo then it doesn't really pay off as you can usually get atleast that long on a 100 grams no matter what you are doing.

That said however, I now use a Jetboil Sumo with a Soto and find that to be even faster to get meals cooking for 2 people and such. You can boil 3 meals at once. To me its more about the time savings to get things cooking and the having to fill and relight the stove as little as possible more so than the weight savings and such.

But I hate cooking anything at home or in the field so the less time I take to do it the better. smile

KC,

Your comment about only being able to boil 2 cups at a time is certainly something to think about so if that is a concern step up to the SUMO. The SUMO with the SOTO is the ticket for me though and will use that anytime I am not just going solo. Yes it weighs more but to be able to boil 6 cups at a time is so freaking nice with more than just yourself along.

Bottom line if you mainly do shorter trips and looking as a jetboil to improve efficiency to save weight then you'll be disapointed. But if you are looking to improve boil times and such then it might be worth it. In the end the weight of your stove is such a teeny tiny part of your overall pack weight just use what you prefer wink

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I am turning into a stove slut myself:

MSR Dragonfly

Bushbuddy Ultra (wood)

Jetboil Sol Ti

Jetboil Flash

Trangia Alky (my favorite)

Gram Weenie Pro Alky

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
David walter. Thanks for the heads up at amazon. Just picked one up. This will be my first compressed fuel stove. Been an alcohol stove guy.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Jetboil sol is way better than standard jet boil with adjustable heat making cooking possible. There are undoubtably lighter options like the snow peak plus titanium pot. But the jetboil is so efficient and convenient. I mean you can light the set up and then set it outside or pick it up while heating, etc. If 15 ounces is too heavy you are packing ultralight and worrying about that last ounce so congrats!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by eyeguy
David walter. Thanks for the heads up at amazon. Just picked one up. This will be my first compressed fuel stove. Been an alcohol stove guy.

You can kiss the alcohol stove good-bye...

Unless you just really love gadgetry.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eyeguy

Da nada

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
TDL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for the heads up, eyeguy. This is my second Sol TI...I like my first one enough to want to have a second/ spare around.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've used a Trangia alcohol stove for 30 years and have yet to break anything on it. It is hard to get technical grade methanol which runs it best. I starting using a jetboil last year to save weight on my older knees.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My alcohol stove is an old antigravity gear stove that doesnt need a pot stand. Just put an ounce or so in the bottom dribble a little down the side light wait 20 sec set the pot on and done. Stove, pot grabber, alcohol all fit in my small pot. I am not sure the jet boil will take its place but from what i hear it probably will.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I like the Jetboil/Soto system like Luke uses, but more times than not since I am mainly cooking on a wood stove, my Soto and the smallest canister come along for coffee making. Pot varries depending on the trip.

As far as old white gas stoves, my all time favorite is the Optimus 111B. Too heavy for anything other than boat, pulk or car camping trips, it sure made some fine meals and baked goods. Mine eventually ended up on EBay, selling for waaay more than I paid for it new.

Ed T

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.