Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 23 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 22 23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
gerrygoat,

It is far better to actually stalk something and get as close as possible.

For whom? Maybe you're not aware there are fantastic shooters who also hunt. And this is the Long Range Hunting forum.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes it is best to get as close as possible. Sure practise so you can shoot a long ways but it isn't hard to get closer. You have to get to the animal any ways to recover it unless of course someone is like the guy who started this thread and you don't care about wounding animals with stupid shots choices.

Gerry.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd go along with it being better to get closer as far as increasing your chances of making a one-shot clean kill, at least for a guy like me. Depending on the distance though, some guys don't have to.

As a general statement I disagree. As far as "better" I think it all depends on why you're hunting. For something like a late season cow or doe permit when the game is skittish from being chased around and you just want to put meat in the freezer closer may not be better. Especially for something like antelope. It may be better to take a 500 yard shot than try to get closer.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could see in that scenario it might be a bit better to shoot farther out provided a guy has the skill through lots of practice. I will say though a lot of the time guys who shoot extreme distances are doing it just to get their ego stroked, they post up clips on youtube and post in places like here so they can be known as "the man"

Anyway I don't want to go round and round on this people can think otherwise but that is my opinion.

Also I do want to start target shooting at long range because it is fun and it would be great become a better shot.

Gerry.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
I will say though a lot of the time guys who shoot extreme distances are doing it just to get their ego stroked, they post up clips on youtube and post in places like here so they can be known as "the man"

Personally, I'm not enthralled with that sort of thing either.

I think it's "better" to be good at both, that is, stalking in close and being able to make long shots when needed.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
why does the video cut out immediately after the bullet impact?

I've never seen a video that didn't have the animal up close after and at least some talking.....

was it not recovered?
if so, why brag about something like this?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was not recovered..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

Because an elk running up the hill with one ear missing would take away from the general awesomeness.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
While being one who likes to shoot at long ranges proficiently, and have taken a couple of good mulies at distance because of necessity, I sum it up this way:I like the ability and option to shoot an animal at distance, all the while stalking as close as possible to make the shot. I much prefer the 150 to 200yd shot any day.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I practice at 500+ yds every time I'm out shooting. I've done it enouph that under 4" groups at 500 yds is nothing any day of the week and twice on Sunday. If I see an animal at 50 yds I shoot it then I eat it. If I see an animal at 500 yds I shoot it and eat it. If i see an animal at 700 yds I stalk to a point that is within 500 yds.I dont try to scare something off by dinking around just to prove my stalking ability if its in my effective range already.

Something else I do and its personal preference is I say a prayer and thank God for the food that has been provided after making a kill. I've never felt any form of excitement in the ending of a life of a critter but rather feel gratitude for the healthy nurishment it provides.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 03/01/15.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

"Bring ya knife."

Ahhhh, check that, bring ya flashlight........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The fact that the OP has not responded to any inquiries speaks more volume than the shot selection itself....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mr Woods has nothing more to say it seems. Doesn't like what we think.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I suspect he never actually cared what we think. If a youtube video gets a lot of hits, after a certain point the poster can get paid by sharing in the ad revenues. He was probably trying to promote the video to increase the number of views.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
He might by busy with unexpected consequences:

"We have received several complaints about this video and have opened an investigation."

"These long range shooting incidents are generating an increasing number of complaints. Normally this behavior, while unethical in a lot of hunter minds, is not illegal unless there is another violation of law. In this incident, shooting across a roadway."

He may need the money sooner than expected...

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by AH64guy

"We have received several complaints about this video and have opened an investigation."

"These long range shooting incidents are generating an increasing number of complaints. Normally this behavior, while unethical in a lot of hunter minds, is not illegal unless there is another violation of law. In this incident, shooting across a roadway."

Ruh roh!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Thanks for posting that piece of good news. Here's hoping the douchbag gets what he deserves.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Coupla nites in the klink with bubba would make Jeff and us happy. However a slap on the wrist is usual. One can hope.

Last edited by sidepass; 03/02/15.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by smokepole
OK Bob, then put your money where your mouth is.

Do you want to bet on whether they will charge him with any offenses that are strictly related to his poor shot selection?

Let me know. I have $100 that says they won't.

I didn't think so.

Hmmm...Where did you find these quotes?

Page 17 of 23 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (12344mag, 163bc, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 160user, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,195
Posts18,465,894
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.