Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Guns must be like cars with good and bad examples of the same model. My red label has been 100% dependable.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I bought a 12 gauge Red Label new in the mid '80's. For several years it was the only shotgun I used (except for where I had to use slugs for deer). I used it for turkeys, waterfowl, upland, trap, skeet and sporting clays. I was shooting several thousand rounds per year at the clay target games in those days. It never let me down. I never had one problem with that gun. I still use it a lot. Last fall I got invited to shoot pheasants with some folks I'd recently met at gun dog events and I took the Red Label rather than the 16 gauge Merkel I usually shoot upland with because 1. I didn't want my new friends to think I was one of those guys with the "$5000 gun and the $5 dog; and 2. I can hit better with it than I can with anything else. Fortunately, my dog was outstanding that day and, of the four other people we were with, three of them had Red Labels also. BTW, mine is not one of the newer versions that drop open. My wife's uncle has one of those and I just don't like that aspect of it.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pabucktail

Not likely something the grand kids will want.

pabucktail The G-kids may actually like(prefer?)them. Tastes, they are a changing. My kids positively drool over the synthetics like T/C Venture, Marlin XL, SPS, Tikka and Rugar American. Sure they still like wood but their young eyes pop at the site of that plastic. My younger son (26) thought the T/C Dimension was really cool looking. I thought it was butt ugly.

Technically these new rifles shoot very well right out of the box.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I always preferred my Red Label for Sporting Clays over my Browning, Win. 101 and 11-87 Sporting Clays model. I have never had a problem with recoil and it's a natural pointer for me. But everyone has their own shooting style and preferences. Mine has good wood and I like the rounded action. Never had a failure in over 10,000 rounds.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by oznog
Guns must be like cars with good and bad examples of the same model. My red label has been 100% dependable.

And women! OOPS, yeah they ain't all the same either.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have actually taken over 20 deer with mine using improved tubes. It was my only shotgun at that point in my life and it tossed a fairly accurate slugger out to about 75 yards. I was told that it would ruin the gun, but it survived.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Hearing from most of you. I guess I wasted my $250 when I bought the one I have. It was in a red velvet fitted case and in about 95%+ condition.

I am not much of a shot gun guy yet and I have not fired it yet.

Maybe some day soon I will have to take it out and shoot it.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
You got a great deal. I would not regret my purchase in the least. Like I said, mine has been great.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by funshooter
Hearing from most of you. I guess I wasted my $250 when I bought the one I have. It was in a red velvet fitted case and in about 95%+ condition.

If you can arrangement shipment to to my FFL guy, I will gladly buy it if is is in 95% condition and give you your investment plus shipping. Let me know. Thanks

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by oznog

If you can arrangement shipment to to my FFL guy, I will gladly buy it if is is in 95% condition and give you your investment plus shipping. Let me know. Thanks

When I give my self some time I am going to start playing around with shot guns. It looked at least to me to be a steel at what I paid for it.

IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Offer to buy is legit. Had a feeling that you would not part with it for what you have in it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It looked at least to me to be a steel at what I paid for it.

I don't know how much steel is in it.

You got a STEAL of a DEAL!

Last edited by jwall; 02/28/15.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Had 20ga English stock Red Label for years. No problem at all and my favorite shotgun.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bill Ruger probably didn't care all that much about what Wall Street thought about his products, otherwise such firearms as the No. 1 and Blackhawk might never have made it into production.

However, short-sighted bean counters are running the show now, not gun guys.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
do you know what is happening to the left hand hawkeye line?

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Bummer. I was glad to see that the Red Label had returned to production. Maybe they will come out with a Ruger American version? Yuck!!!

They did once. It must not have sold well...
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/10802498#

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Did he say anything about why they dropped the stainless hawkeyes?

My speculation is, as much as people complained about how shiny the MkII stainless was, they didn't care for the Hawkeye version at all. The MkII kept it's appearance quite easily where the Hawkeye appeared to rub off or smear in some fashion. It just wasn't as popular as the MkII and with sales down on the Hawkeye and up on the American, what is one to expect if you are in business to make money.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have owned a couple of 20 ga Red Labels and gave my last one to my son and he loves it. I still have my Beretta 686 20 ga and 28 ga, Winchester Sporting Clay 12 and my Remington 3200 12 ga which has been one of my favorite since its introduction. I won't miss the Red Label since i wouldn't pay what Ruger wanted for them these days, when you can buy a Beretta O&U for close to that figure

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Odd, that, bea, apparently great minds think alike. I still shoot my 3200 4-barrel skeet set. Can't think of a compelling reason to change. Beretta 686/687's are just the cat's meow for me. Every hunting O/U is compared to the Beretta's, and I can't break away from them. Just picked up a 687 Silver Pigeon IV 20 gauge a couple days ago. I practically get a woodie every time I bring that gun to my shoulder. Can't wait for spring, and shoot some skeets with it.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Had a 28 and a 12 , no longer own them but never had an issue with either one and both were purchased used. I had more issues with a NIB Beretta Silver Pigeon and a NIB Browning Citori Lightweight.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.