Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
forpest Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Had a situation today that hopefully you will never need to use, but it would be good to have it in your bag of tricks.

Was ice fishing, and had a huge perch ignore my minnow, and as i was working on the fish house, I only had one line down. I grabbed a rod with a lure on it - turned out to be a darter (lindy) and thought that would get down there fast enough to tempt it. I struggle with how to keep lures from tangling - will post on that next - and had this one wrapped in a Bass Pro Shops lure wrap. Unfortunately both trebles were caught in the cloth liner. . I unhooked one, and was working on the other when the rear treble slipped out of the hook keeper, and into my index finger. two barbs were in; I managed to get one out, but couldn't see the other well enough to assess it. Had to get rid of the rod to see better. Went out to the snowmobile and grabbed my tackle bag to get the scissors out to cut the line. A leatherman tool on your belt under a Frabill suit on the side opposite a shoulder waiting for rotator cuff surgery is useless! I cut the line and removed the rod. The hook was in beyond the bend. Options. get on a snow machine and drive 1/4 mile home, get in the truck and drive 40 minutes to the hospital, sit for 1.5 hrs until some pimple-faced intern cuts the thing out of your finger, and then get floored 6 days later with a bill for >$500 an hour in the emergency room. Not a good first choice. Didn't think I could push it through and cut it off - hook was too small and in too deep to get the point out the skin. And it would have hurt. More. Then I remembered the trick where you loop mono around the bend of the hook, press down on the hook, and give it a yank. Why not? I also had 2 pairs of forceps, and a leatherman tool in my tackle bag, and since I had just wired computer fans into the house, I had a side cutters and needle nosed pliers. I arranged all of them on a chair. I went over to the neighbor's house and asked him if he would do the honors. He was hesitant, as he didn't know anything about this method, and he figgered it was a trip to the ER. I told him I would coach him, and that I had nothing to lose.

The line on that reel was old and curly, probably 8# line. Since neither of us could see (think over 60!) we weren't sure if we had the flourocarbon leader or the main line, so we quadrupled the line - why do it more than once if it might hurt? Got it looped around the bend of the hook that was left, I pressed down and told him to give it a jerk. The hook was out! No pain, 1 drop of blood. I had read about this, but never knew anyone who did it or had seen it done. It works! I tried to google how to remove a fish hook with mono, but I can't get to google now

As I said before, I hope you never need to use it, but it worked for me and it might save you some pain/$.

GB2

forpest Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Google finally let me in. . I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh9x8Lzaskc which is essentially what we did. We didn't use a loop knot - just wrapped the mono over itself. I also pressed down on the shank of the hook, not the eye. In the video you will see a small piece of clay come flying out. That could have been my flesh - press down on the shank - it forces the barb into tissue that has already been damaged by the hook, and the bard doesn't work. And I watched - I wanted to see it work. And I didn't flinch!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Glad it worked out well!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup, it works like a charm. I had a tiny (#20) nymph impaled right below my left eye once. (My buddy's backcast + high wind = stuck Rocky. At least he didn't make the forward cast!)

The guide simply used the line already tied to the fly, pulled it back in a loop through the bend of the fly, pushed in on the hook shank and tugged. <bink> There was a tiny bit of "meat" on the barb, which I urged my buddy to leave there as bait, dontcha know?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My son burried a clouser minnow in his for arm practicing his fly casting. I had read about this in Outdoor Life or Field and Stream. The hook came right out, didn't tell him I'd never done it until after the fact.

IC B2

forpest Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I told a friend of mine the story. He said he had to remove a streamer from a woman's neck more than 30 yrs ago. After it was out, he was rooting around in his day bag for some ointment; she was still grimaced waiting for it to get out - he had to tell her it was done!

And last summer at a nearby resort a fellow downed half a bottle of tequila and had a friend yank it out with a pliers. Should have had stitches, but was too drunk. So some still don't know about this. Spread the word!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I popped a #2 treble hook out of a friends back 3 years ago while striper fishing. His buddy was casting a super spook and nabbed him in the back. By the time I got there Jamey was pale and sweating cause Lonnie had been trying to dig it out with pliers. One loop of 20# mono and a quick snap and it was out. Theres no way I would let someone dig in my back with pliers!

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
forpest Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That must have really hurt. I considered it for a while, but just moving the hook slightly made me very aware of its presence! I might have tried yanking with a pliers, but that would have done lots of damage. . It is just so amazing at how little damage the mono trick does!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
My grandmother caught the back of my head casting with a plug years ago,
My father cut the plug off with a pair of Diamond plyers.

After a long boat ride back to the boathouse, and what seemed like a long ride to Dryden, after the doctor gave the Novocain, the pain stopped.

The doctor cut the hook smoother, and ran it out.

After well over sixty years, I remember it well.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have had a heavy mono loop, a commercial version that I came across, and a bolt cutter in my tackle box for years. Haven't used the loops, but got to use the bolt cutter on an in one side and out the other last summer.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did the same thing many years ago with a tiny little hook while ice fishing. Still cringe at how much that hurt.

Few years later literally the last fish of the day out of probably 50-70 large mouth I've got one double hooked on a crank bait.

Got one hook un-done and holding the fish and he starts flopping. Buried the hook between my thumb and index finger. Thank god we had a good wire snip so we could cut the fish off.

Ended up doing the emergency room thing and the bill was 260+ change. Expensive day of fishing

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rocky that's funny "= a hooked Rocky".

I keep a stout piece of thin chord tied into a circle, in my tackle box, for just this purpose. I have hooked myself three times that I can remember. Each time I removed the hook by myself.

One time it was a good sized treble that a thrashing brown got into me when I netted him in some big waves on Hebgen Lake MT. Andre was aghast when he saw the hook buried in my finger. He was amazed as I kept my sea legs in the rollers and removed the hook in front of him.

Now there must be a few that would ask how can you do it with only one hand as the other is hooked? I loop the chord around the bend in the hook then around a cleat on the boat. The free hand pushes the end of the hook hard against the skin. Yank rearwards and it is out!

forpest Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Az:

That's a great idea, although I don't intend to hook myself again! ;-) I will tie one for each boat in my fleet and one in each tackle box.

What amazes me is that I fished the 4-treble flatfish for years and never caught other than fish flesh. I thought those were crazy dangerous. And then to get snagged by a tiny ice darter!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The only time I ever got hooked was when a northern pike took a bad bounce and drove two stainless salt water hooks deep into my thumb and palm near my fore-finger. It took a few more jumps just to make sure. We were able to release the fish which was somewhat of an improvement. I knew about the rope trick but because of the double hooking opposing each other it didn't work. That left me with an 1 1/2 hour boat ride, a wait for the plane, and a med-evac to a small northern town. The pilot's girl-friend picked me up and it took quite some time for the doctor to cut the hook out of my tendon. The thumb still is a bit numb from nerve damage. After it was removed, I eventually got back to lake by reversing the above and actually got back out fishing that evening. I put the treble hook back on the lure and caught fish on it. 20 some hour days go a long way to making that possible.

Total cost? Zero. Conclusions? Not much except it was a lousy time to be quitting smoking.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was 11 or 12 years old, riding bicycle to the farm pond, knee caught one hook on a double hooked rapala, and the other hook ended up in the big fleshy part of your hand where thumb connects. I cut the line and rode back to the farm to show dad and grandpa my predicament.

Dad had read all the issues of Outdoor Life and the loop trick. Tied loop on and proceeded to drag me around grandpa's house. Must not have been doing it right......

Went to the ER. Doc wiped some alcohol on the entry point, then stuck a hypodermic needle in the same hole, covered up the barb, and pulled the whole mess out. Took longer to type than for him to do it. He said he had lots of practice.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
One, I will never fish without wearing sunglasses/glasses.

Two, I seldom fish with barbed hooks, when casting.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
112 members (405joe, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,368 guests, and 683 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.