Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
forpest Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've had issues with trying to protect rods - 3 broken tips so far this year ;-(. I want to keep the lures on them so I can start fishing right away, and can quit at the last second. The cases I have seen so far have cloth linings, and the hooks catch. I've tried brass pro shops lure wraps, but they are lined with cloth. the best I have come up with so far is using a squeeze plastic container that holds ear plugs (was a range officer in a previous life). How do you keep the hooks from tangling and hooking everything in sight?

GB2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I change all my hooks to singles, good sharp Gamakatsu Octopus singles. And use the wire hook loop on the rod, I won't buy a rod that doesn't have a hook loop. All my rods stand reel down in my fishing bucket that fits in the basket on my snowmachine. Haven't broken one or had a tangle in a long time using this method and single hooks are easier to remove from fish as well as harder to hook yourself with. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I made what amounts to a rod size tool rollup out of fairly dense material I found in a drawer. The inside end has a probably half-inch wood dowel for rigidity. Rods alternate left-right so the bulk of the reels balance out. Velcroed web strap closures and web handle. I generally wrap U-shaped wire keepers at the handle but hooking on an eye works about as well. No snags.

Probably got inspired by a commercial product, don't remember.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I take a different approach. I pre-tie all my terminal rigs - usually two jigs or a jig and spoon - with a foot of mono and a swivel at the end. I keep each rig in a ziploc baggie. My main lines all end in a duoloc snap. It takes only seconds to add, change, or remove a terminal rig. For transit, I hook the snap to the keeper ring or a line guide. No loose hooks at all.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

forpest Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Rocky:

That's a great idea! In addition to the hook issue, us old guys can tie things in a well lighted place where we can SEE what we are doing - maybe even use magnification!

Thanks!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's half of the reason I started doing it. Numb fingers and two-pound test were the other half.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
789 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 83 invisible), 3,165 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.