Print Thread
Hop To
J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
How difficult and expensive to find a really good one of these preferably in 32 rem in the US or Canada

Canada maybe easier these days for export. I would really like to locate one and bring it down here

Johno

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Do you mean a carbine 141 or a 14?

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Here's a useful link Johno:

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/journals/Model141

I see Model 14 carbines once in a while, but I don't recall ever seeing a legitimate 141 carbine. Guns shortened by Bubba do show up once in a while, but real carbine versions of the Remington pumps are scarce.

The 14 is in my opinion a better gun than the 141 in many ways. I've owned both in the past, but don't have any now.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Johno:

The model 141 carbine is a very highly sought after model and are quite rare.

When Remington switched the model 14 to the 141 somewhere around 1935 or 36 the decision was made to only use up the left over 18 1/2" model 14 carbine barrels on the 141. Remington's plan was to develop a model 141 with a 20" barrel and chamber it in the 300 Savage and 30-30 Win. But it never happened.

Model 14 carbine are more common that 141 carbines, but still very desirable if unmessed with and with condition. Looking at 1000 US and up if unmessed with and in reasonable condition.

Johno if you have your heart set on a carbine (model 14 or 141) in 32 Rem that is not going to be an easy trick. It hard to find one in any of the 4 Remington calibers that has any kind of condition, cause most of them were hunted pretty hard.

A nice model 14 in 32 Rem with a 22" barrel is probably a more reasonable goal. Still a very nice handy gun. I love em.

Good luck in your quest.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just clicked on Rod's link.

Guess I should have done that before I wrote the above dissertation. grin

Ken Blauch lives about 10 miles from me. I have met with him and purchased guns from him in the past. His depth of knowledge is incredible and he has an amazing collection.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm not that familiar with pump Remingtons. I have seen the rifles come up from time to time in decent shape. I know some were chambered in .35 Remington, which would be a much easier round to find. And a good round at that.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Gentleman, thanks so much for the advice, maybe I should go back to looking for that common old bird a 22 h.p. in a checkered straight stock F.

Rod thanks for the link, from what I read over here the 141 was surposed to be an improvement on the model 14, but I accept your greater knowledge and experience in handling them.

I feel that 32 rem cal might just be a fun cartridge and good game getter. If you trip over a nice 14 in that cal shoot me a pm if you are not interested yourself.

Johno

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Per Ken Blauch's book....the 141R's were made only as long as the left over Model 14 carbine barrels lasted. Ken uses 2 methods used to extrapolate Model 141 Carbine Production in all calibers....Method 1 indicates a total of 123 carbines produced and Method 2 which indicates that a total of 408 carbines were produced. Ken concludes that although there are other factors involved, it appears that the actual number of 141 carbines produced falls between 123 and 408.
I have seen a 141R in a display/collection at both the Harrisburg and Split Rock shows here in PA. There was also a high condition 141R offered for sale on the Remington Society forum a little over 2 years ago.
Records indicate that there was a total of 1,218 M14 carbines produced in all calibers between 1923 and 1934. I have seen two 14R's at the Allentown show within the last year....a 35 Rem with a few holes drilled in the barrel and a high condition 32 Rem with both the thumbnail safety and dummy x-bolt safety.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nothing wrong with wanting what you want. Good luck with the hunt!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Wonderful info, my thanks.
I don't recall seeing a carbine down here, a good few rifles but they are always well used

Johno

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Per Ken Blauch's book....the 141R's were made only as long as the left over Model 14 carbine barrels lasted. Ken uses 2 methods used to extrapolate Model 141 Carbine Production in all calibers....Method 1 indicates a total of 123 carbines produced and Method 2 which indicates that a total of 408 carbines were produced. Ken concludes that although there are other factors involved, it appears that the actual number of 141 carbines produced falls between 123 and 408.
I have seen a 141R in a display/collection at both the Harrisburg and Split Rock shows here in PA. There was also a high condition 141R offered for sale on the Remington Society forum a little over 2 years ago.
Records indicate that there was a total of 1,218 M14 carbines produced in all calibers between 1923 and 1934. I have seen two 14R's at the Allentown show within the last year....a 35 Rem with a few holes drilled in the barrel and a high condition 32 Rem with both the thumbnail safety and dummy x-bolt safety.

Any chance you can remember what they were asking for that 32?

Ryan

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
So there is an older gentleman who frequents Pa gun shows who has some very nice Remington high condition carbines. I've picked them up several times, (after asking for permission as per the instructions on his sign), unfortunately, they are not for sale, just for looking at.

I did however talk him out of a high condition 4 digit serial number model 14 30 Rem a few years back. wink

Might be them same gentleman, maybe not.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 99guy
So there is an older gentleman who frequents Pa gun shows who has some very nice Remington high condition carbines. I've picked them up several times, (after asking for permission as per the instructions on his sign), unfortunately, they are not for sale, just for looking at.

I did however talk him out of a high condition 4 digit serial number model 14 30 Rem a few years back. wink
Y
Might be them same gentleman, maybe not.

Same gentleman, his first name is Ed....

Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yep:

Sounds familiar, nice man.

Got some really cool guns.

Edit: For those of you who think you are hooked on 99's, I dare you to buy just one unmessed with high condition Remington model 14... wink

You think you got problems now?

Welcome to my world.

Last edited by 99guy; 03/02/15.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
If I promise to be really really good will you take to me that show

Johno

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Always had a thing for the carbines....

Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Even farther off topic, about thirty-five years ago I bought a 14 1/2 (Remington Fourteen and a half) in .44/40. It would not feed my reloads, only factory. I sold it to a local dealer, who was a gunsmith. He said it was about the least accurate rifle he had ever shot. The bore was for some reason oversize, and cast bullets large enough to fit the bore could not be chambered.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,832 guests, and 1,400 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,476
Posts18,451,832
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.