Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have shot a few inlines, and I never found them to be any easier nor faster to clean. It's just more "similar" to cleaning a centerfire.

I clean my long rifle with a work rod, patches, and a bucket of water. Works great, every time, doesn't take long, and nothing beats the smell of black powder fouling, lol. I truly do enjoy the smell of the fouling, as it's just a smell that reminds me that I got to have some fun that day shooting my rifle. My family is less than thrilled when I bucket clean the rifle in the house, but oh well. wink

BP-B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Break actions are much easier. As for looks, I have never cared what a gun looked like as long as it worked.

I grew up shooting traditional sidelock guns, with real BP...and while fun at the time, it was never anything I cared to do once grown. I am glad others do, but for me, BP Substitutes, 209 primers, and sabots make my life a much better place.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ha ha. As far as cleaning goes, when I clean my double barrel cap lock shotgun, I yank the barrels off and take them in the shower with me along with a rod and some patches. Clean the gun as I clean me. A whole different twist to "showering with a friend". grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The notion that traditional guns are hard to take care of IS nonsense.

Funny how difficult some folks make boiling water, dumping it in a bucket with a little dish soap is. Pump a couple patches up and down, let her dry (which does not take long with hot water) grease it back up with some Borebutter and put it in the safe.

FWIW: I do it in the garage because the rest of the household does not think it smells as nice as I do. haha

Last edited by centershot; 02/25/15.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Acquired taste.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
The older I get, the more my attitude changes. When I was a "young and comer" I had to have the latest and greatest deer killing machine, killed as many animals as I could get away with, and drove like a maniac to get there. Now I could really care less if I am successful after a day in the woods (in fact I'm often relieved I don't have to bust a gut dealing with a monster buck after it's down), I'm content to dawdle along on the drive there, and the rifle/shotgun I carry has to be aesthetically pleasing more so than super efficient. I see young guys taking to the woods as if they were on a Marine recon mission and can't help but wonder about that which they are missing out on.

As I sit in the woods on an Indian Summer day admiring the rifle I built many years ago, I reflect on the hundreds of hours I spent building it and feel a direct connection to my ancestor who roamed the woods of Pennsylvania with the family heirloom long rifle I copied it from. For me there is definitely a higher plane of experience regarding the whole muzzle loading deal than just "getting a few more days afield" and utilizing the the most up to date technology. But that's me.

(And yes, anyone who shies away from Holy Black and sidelock ignition due to the "mess" involved is either a wuss or never gave it a fair shake. That's my biased opinion and I'm sticking to it! grin )

Ahhhhhhhh, YES, Gnoahhh, smile

You've excellently expressed so very well the thoughts and deep feelings a great many of us older hunters eventually come to feel.

I doubt that younger hunters can comprehend that, some day, their thoughts & feelings may come to be the same. Only with experience and age comes such feelings and only "time" can cause that to happen.

I'm glad to read that others have those same feelings I've come to have. Being in the woods with a familiar and friendly rifle has a "goodness" all it's own... and shooting game becomes secondary or even not-of-great-importance once one reaches that point in life where it's the total experience rather than just the "kill" that makes for a pleasant day in the woods.

THANK YOU, my friend, for saying it so well. grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do all my gun hunting for deer, hogs and turkey with flintlocks I build. Just like knowing what it was like to hunt with these guns back in the 1700 and 1800's.

Only got two now a .58cal. for deer mostly (have killed hogs with it) and .20ga. for spring gobblers and a few squirrels...did kill one hog with my first .20ga. and no. 6's. Shot her behind the ear at about one long step. I built both the .58cal and .20ga I got now lightweight.

My .20ga.Gobbler Gun.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
.58cal. Rifle
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Beautiful!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hoyt, those are great. Hard to think of a more respectful way to take an animal.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To the original question by the OP, I firmly believe at least around here traditional is making a strong comeback as well as long bow vs compound which is quite welcomed IMO.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
here are a couple of my latest completed orders

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beautiful work sir absolutely immaculate in every detail.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Will second that! Beautiful work it is!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Holy crap those are nice. Love the sliding patch box.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Capt, can you provide a little info, such as caliber/bore etc?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
looks like a traditions kentucky

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bigblock455

You're either in need of a consult with an optometrist of just full of pasture pie...

laugh

I am..........disturbed.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The top rifle is based off a later Emmel , stocked in black walnut .
Its mounted in iron with a 40 cal , Rice , A weight target barrel . The lock is a Chambers Siler and the triggers are a set that I build .

The 2nd rifle is a spin off of an Issac Haines and stocked in Fiddle back , English walnut . All the Hardware and inlay work is German silver, all of which is engraved
The barrel is an early 54 cal Getz 39 inch A weight , banded with 14kt gold and engraved at the tang and breech areas
The lock is a Chambers and the pan I have lined with 18kt gold .
the toe plate on this rifle is a combination of Brass and German silver inlay as well as wire work.

here are a few more photos of the 2nd rifle . i have more on my facebook page

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great Zot! Beautiful work and thanks for the info. That inlay work looks like an exercise in patience. How long did it take to build that gun, start to finish?

I am..........disturbed.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bigblock455

are you serious?? that's an insult.

Hoyt and Captchee, those are some beautiful functional works of art!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
445 members (300jimmy, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 49 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.