Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It also pisses me off when guys rip these things apart. WHY strip the bolt down to bare bones??? Keep the damn thing with the receiver for crying out loud!!! Then again, I am seeing your point about keeping the old ones running. I'm keeping the ones I have except for my Alaskan I promised to my buddy EricM.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
BSA, the why is easy . . . we just don't like the answer. It is a straight money deal with these guys.

I'm not condoning the practice. I hate to see an old rifle taken apart for any reason, even to build a custom. I'm just looking for a silver lining.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A guy in Tallahassee is trying to sell me a new with box std 30-govt 06 barrel from factory, I am puzzled as the extractor is cut and it has a WP stamp on it! I thought replacement barrels got a different stamp! My gunshop,FFL says the dam thing is NOS brand new! Can any of you old timers shed any lite on the subject? very best WinPoor

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You might want to check Rule's book, he talks about and has pics of barrels that were available from the factory and how they were proof stamped. They were stamped differently than barrels the factory had fitted to receivers.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It chaps my butt when they tear the bolt down to components, also the trigger group. Two buttplate screws for $12.00 is a bit much and two used buttplates for $199.00 is really over the top.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It seems high, however it reflects the value that many place on these old rifles.
If they were not held in high regard you would have to give parts away.

We can't have it both ways.

See much the same when it comes to old muscle car restorations. Nothing new or out of the ordinary.

Last edited by battue; 03/06/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
battue,

Much the same, I agree, but I don't believe I have ever heard of someone buying a road worthy classic car and reducing it to parts for sale.

gunswizard,

If someone would make a good reproduction cocking piece/firing pin for when Bubba tries to retime a safety and messes up, maybe the bolt teardowns would slow down a bit. I believe good aftermarket extractors are available?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
battue,

Much the same, I agree, but I don't believe I have ever heard of someone buying a road worthy classic car and reducing it to parts for sale.

You got me there. smile

I was mainly referring to the cost of an original part when one could be found.

Last edited by battue; 03/06/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Not to keep beating this poor horse, but it looks like our friend just took apart a 1937 Super Grade .30-06.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
You better stop whatchin these auctions or you'll get pissed off even more (it does me), because there's nothing we can do about it. Until people refuse to pay the money to make it profitable for these mofokers to tear nice old guns apart, it'll continue. Some people justify it as keeping other old guns functioning, I think in just as many or more cases it's to "upgrade" a functional rifle to get more money than what it's worth in it's original condition. In the case of the '37 Super Grade that shirhitch just parted out on ebay, it's just as likely whoever buys that stock will stick a standard grade barreled action in it and try to foist it off on some poor sap as a true Super Grade. Didn't we just have someone post a Super that proved to be pieced together?

FYI, that '37 Super Grade stock and floorplate together are already over $1100

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I'm not watching the auctions because I want to. I'm looking for a stock, and the easiest way is to use the search function. When I do, his stuff comes up.

I believe you are correct that there is a good chance the buyer of the Super Grade stock is trying to "build" a Super Grade, and possibly for dishonest purposes to boot. But maybe not. Maybe the eventual buyer owns a dinged up Super, or wants to "build" the one they always wanted. (Something to consider, if anyone wanted to go to the trouble but I don't, would be to compare shirhitch's pictures to what comes up for sale in the next few months. Grain patterns are unique. But I have better things to do.) If anyone tries to build a fake, they had better have a rare chambering, because at shirhitch's prices they are going to have trouble making much money building a fake .270 or .30-06 Super Grade!

I do think there are some parts where your "upgrade of a functional rifle" theory doesn't work. Extractors, firing pins, and trigger parts are some examples.

G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
OK, curiosity got the better of me concerning the '37 Super Grade .30-06.
The receiver is on Gunbroker. # 471373927
Serial number is 10380
The bridge has been D&T
The seller tells you the rest of the rifle is on the 'Bay and gives his seller name.
Right now, the stock and floorplate on the 'Bay are totaling about $1900

I'm sure glad I'm happy with the more pedestrian models in common chamberings!

G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
stealthgoat, sent you a PM.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 54 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,772
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.