-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
225-275 depending on the round. The zero stops are set below the zero at 100.

Don't think there's really a wrong answer as long as the shooter understands his/her set up.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
bsa1917, that 9.3 group is impressive.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks, it's likely it will never happen again laugh. I love the accuracy of the rifle and it puts elk size critters down very well too:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
She was trotting through the scrub oak at 85 yards away. Rifle has a ballistic plex reticle, so I keep it dialed in at 100 yards. That works great for elk hunting, since most of my shots have been less than 100 yards in the timber. Got lucky and found this one in the scrub oak. Kind of a narrow shooting lane though. I'd say it's just as important to stay practiced up in the off season as it is worrying about your zero. Keep things as simple as you can on a pure hunting rifle. Make sure it functions without failure, is accurate and you'll be doing great. Truth be told, for most hunting situations the use of MPBR will be the best place to set your zero. This is if you don't dial and don't use a ballistic plex reticle. MPBR is the most efficient and easy to use method for zeroing a hunting rifle, but it's not talked about too much here. Maybe things have gotten too modern and guys forget about it. Who knows???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I personally prefer 200yds - turrets or not - on pretty much anything that is scoped over 22lr. On Leupold's CDS scopes, this gets me 700-800 depending on caliber/load on a zero stop MOA dial (which is the most limiting turret set-up I have).

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
.. Is this for your 300 wsm???

Yes sir. I'm just getting started with a turret scope. So, I have a lot to learn.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Shodd
My thinking is why take the benefit of point and shoot at 300 yds or less away.

The turret is still there for the long shots where most likely 10% of your game will be killed.

Its a free 300 yd benefit that in no way hinders the latter. Win Win

Shod

Very much agree.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
Here's a question for the original poster. I see 100 yards showing up the most. Are those who don't agree with the majority wrong?

I think not. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reloader, I use a 200+ yd zero because its what I've always done. There are reasons and benefits to why its a good idea.

My thinking is why take the benefit of point and shoot at 300 yds or less away.

The turret is still there for the long shots where most likely 10% of your game will be killed.

Its a free 300 yd benefit that in no way hinders the latter. Win Win

Shod

Lie the man posted. There is no down side.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
With most calibers in the 30/06, 270, 308 Win, 300 Win Mag class if you zero at 200 yards....just hold about 3" low at 100 yards and if you get a shot at 300 yards...just hold the horizontal wire a couple inches down from top of the back and you're in the kill zone! Don't even have to worry about the knobs!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
R
I zero for 200. That way I don't really have to make allowances from 100 - 300 because a zero hold easily puts me inside an 8 inch circle. Anything over 300 I dial in.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No offense to anyone here, but some of the statements seem a little optimistic. I would suggest at a minimum using your info(bullet, velocity, etc) and plugging in to JBM Ballistics (and set range increment to 25yds) to get a good idea of your actual trajectory. This doesn't eliminate the need for verifying in the field, but will give you a very good idea.

Again, I like 200yds as out to about 250 I'm within 2" of my aim point - I personally don't like to start off knowing I'm more than 2" off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TXRam,

I personally don't like to start off knowing I'm more than 2" off.

I picked 3". What bullet and velocity are you running?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Several, but the load I'm working on right now is a 150gr LRAB at ~3150fps via a 7WSM Montana.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RetPD
I zero for 200. That way I don't really is have to make allowances from 100 - 300 because a zero hold easily puts me inside an 8 inch circle. Anything over 300 I dial in.

Smart man.

Zero at 200. Extending your pointblank range, from 100 yards zero is much better for me.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On my last hunting lease, I would sight in at 2.75" high. This gave me a MPBR of 325 yards with the load I was shooting. I knew that a 400 and even 500 yard shot was possible given wind judgement.
I lived in the midwest for a dozen years and most of my shots were either with a shotgun or short ranged (under 100 yards) with a rifle.
Since moving back to Texas and finding a new place to hunt, 90% of my shots are <100 yards. There are a few places on the ranch to shoot out to 500-600 and I'm working some loads, rifles and scope combinations back up to be able to take those shots. Haven't settled on a 'new' sight in range just yet.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
All my rifles are sighted in for 100 yards dead on. If need be I can dial it in with my tarets.

Tom
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
so it sounds like several guys use a zero at "X" yards and then have a drop "cheat sheet" and dial according to that. am I understanding that right?

Why not have a turret made with the yardage on it and eliminate that step? just a question, not looking to flame anyone. just wondering why more folks aren't doing that.

I like having it right there in front of me, so I range, click and shoot. I know where my rifle is going to hit at anytime simply by looking at what range it is set at.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
so it sounds like several guys use a zero at "X" yards and then have a drop "cheat sheet" and dial according to that. am I understanding that right?

Why not have a turret made with the yardage on it and eliminate that step? just a question, not looking to flame anyone. just wondering why more folks aren't doing that.

I like having it right there in front of me, so I range, click and shoot. I know where my rifle is going to hit at anytime simply by looking at what range it is set at.

Turrets with designated ranges, for designated loads, at designated speeds, in designated conditions, are a one-trick pony.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Ringman
I use very high velocity cartridges and sight in at 300 yards. This means max height mid range is no more than 3". I can hold on to 350. After that I can twist.

So you actually hang targets at 300 yards and make point of impact and point of aim be the same? And every high velocity cartridge that you shoot with a 300 yard "zero" has a max ord of no more than 3 inches? Also what is the group size of your rifles and target size that you find acceptable?

Originally Posted by JGRaider
200 if using a CDS dial. MPBR (3"@100)with no dial.

Just trying to be sure- MPBR is +3 inches at 100 yards? What size MPBR?

Originally Posted by Fotis
200 yard zero

Do you zero POA/POI at 200? Or do you zero high at 100 for a 200 zero?

Originally Posted by Bbear
On my last hunting lease, I would sight in at 2.75" high. This gave me a MPBR of 325 yards with the load I was shooting. I knew that a 400 and even 500 yard shot was possible given wind judgement.
I lived in the midwest for a dozen years and most of my shots were either with a shotgun or short ranged (under 100 yards) with a rifle.
Since moving back to Texas and finding a new place to hunt, 90% of my shots are <100 yards. There are a few places on the ranch to shoot out to 500-600 and I'm working some loads, rifles and scope combinations back up to be able to take those shots. Haven't settled on a 'new' sight in range just yet.

2.75in high at 100 presumably? And that resulted in what zero? What size MPBR? And what size target are you comfortable with? What does your rifle group on average?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Sorry for the drive by's....

Originally Posted by Reloder28
Where is your zero set? Normally zero my rifles @ 250 yards. Now that I have a turret to turn I was thinking about 100 yard zero. What's your opinion? My maximum self imposed range limit is 600 yards.

How did you arrive at a self imposed 600 yard range limit?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,483 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,438
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.