Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Let me start by saying I don't know a ton about ARs. I never had a need for one until now. I've got 3 options available to me currently. Of the three, which is the best deal for the money? I don't necessarily want other "you can get this, it's better, this costs less", etc. suggestions.

1. Used colt LE6920 with a free float quad rail and 1 mag. $1050.00

2. Brand new M&P T with 1 mag for $790.00

3. Barely used Olympic Arms plinker plus flat top with a quad rail, 5 pmags, and 800 rounds of federal ammo for $800.00

The rifle isn't going to see thousands of rounds, maybe 300-500 a year, might be used for light hunting, and will be used for duty carry. All three will be topped with flip up sights, and an aimpoint when it's all said and done.
Out of the three listed above, which is the best option, and why?

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would go #2.

#1 overpriced
#3 meh..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first AR was an S&W M&P-15. Now it is 3 years later and I still think it was a very good choice.

Could have spent a lot more money and got little in return. The only change I would make is to add an after-market trigger, but I would make that change to most.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1) Depends on what make quad rail and how used it is. You can get a new Colt 6920 for $850 - $900.

2) Meh.....

3) Run like the wind blows. Avoid Olympic.

Last edited by wareagle700; 03/01/15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
have seen some decent Olympics.... I wont buy one, but at this rate for the ammo, buy the Oly, and see if it shoots, if not sell it for same price again, keep ammo and buy the M/P

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
#2.

#1 is probably overpriced--'used' can mean a lot of things, and the the quad rail may/will add some value but the newer keymods seem to be taking over.
See how well you like holding onto the quad rail.

Retired cat herder.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I was sort of leaning towards number 3, as stated above, for the ammo. If it doesn't shoot well, sell it, and buy one of the other two. I'be seen a lot of bad reviews on the oly, but those all seem to be about older guns. Still not sure what to do.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Number 3, lots of ammo. Then sell said rifle for 650. Then buy the colt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which barrel is on that M&P? Try to find out if it's carbine gas and chrome lined or mid-length and melonited. If the latter, that'd be my first pick for sure.

I know you don't want to hear it, but if it's a duty rifle (I take that to mean it'll be used to shoot at or around people) I think you really owe it to yourself and everyone else to do some research into what you need in an AR. If you're LEO I'd use their first responder program and get a Magpul version M&P. I think they're only about $800 after the rebate.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
DUTY RIFLE. Not play toy.

People that think it is ok to use an Olympic as a duty rifle should be flogged.

With the price that one gets Colts/BCM's/DD's/etc, buying a DPMS, OLY, Bushmaster, etc. is akin to a mortal fuggin sin.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wow. I keep forgetting that not all LEO are gun savy.

I'd have not come to the net looking for suggestions on a LEO duty gun.

Glad that was cleared up.

I'd be doing Colt or SW at that call of duty. The heck with anything else.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by borden811
Let me start by saying I don't know a ton about ARs. I never had a need for one until now. I've got 3 options available to me currently. Of the three, which is the best deal for the money? I don't necessarily want other "you can get this, it's better, this costs less", etc. suggestions.

1. Used colt LE6920 with a free float quad rail and 1 mag. $1050.00

2. Brand new M&P T with 1 mag for $790.00

3. Barely used Olympic Arms plinker plus flat top with a quad rail, 5 pmags, and 800 rounds of federal ammo for $800.00

The rifle isn't going to see thousands of rounds, maybe 300-500 a year, might be used for light hunting, and will be used for duty carry. All three will be topped with flip up sights, and an aimpoint when it's all said and done.
Out of the three listed above, which is the best option, and why?

I myself have always wanted to find the cheapest parachute available and jump out of a plane with it! smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I never saw that on the OP... I missed it totally.. my bad.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Which barrel is on that M&P? Try to find out if it's carbine gas and chrome lined or mid-length and melonited. If the latter, that'd be my first pick for sure.

I know you don't want to hear it, but if it's a duty rifle (I take that to mean it'll be used to shoot at or around people) I think you really owe it to yourself and everyone else to do some research into what you need in an AR. If you're LEO I'd use their first responder program and get a Magpul version M&P. I think they're only about $800 after the rebate.

Yes, The Finest deserve the best.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't take long for Take_a_Pee to show up..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm plenty gun savvy about most anything, but AR's. Never owned one, never had a need for one. Hence my questions. Basically, what I wanted to know was, was number 3 worth it for the ammo, and sell the gun, or would I be better off just going with one of the other two, and buying ammo outright.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Don't take this wrong, but with only a few posts, you don't know the posters here that replied...

Blue I'd trust..he is your fellow leo and well versed. Others, including me, at least not for duty, I'd not... we don't have the experience.

My intuition would be to say fall back to the colt, though personally I'd build what I wanted and make sure its reliable and then carry it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're not gonna make any money on the Olympic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Don't take this wrong, but with only a few posts, you don't know the posters here that replied...

Blue I'd trust..he is your fellow leo and well versed. Others, including me, at least not for duty, I'd not... we don't have the experience.

My intuition would be to say fall back to the colt, though personally I'd build what I wanted and make sure its reliable and then carry it.

Yes. As the pictures show, LE are weapons experts.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're not gonna make any money on the Olympic.

^^^This^^^ Used AR imitations are a dime a dozen right now. Stay away from the Olympic.

Buy a new Colt or a new S&W. Of those two, I'd take which ever I could get the most bang for the Buck.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Some jurisdictions say what brand you can use. If you don't have that then new Colt or S&W.
But, why is the used Colt 6920 being sold? That would be my first choice of the three but used can mean a lot of things-- from "I shot a mag through it and it works" to "Yeah, it's been good for 19,000 rounds".

Retired cat herder.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
that one in the green helmet looks a bit out of shape.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
that one in the green helmet looks a bit out of shape.

"Round" is a shape... smile

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would be like "you go first" whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The rifle isn't going to see thousands of rounds, maybe 300-500 a year, might be used for light hunting, and will be used for duty carry.

What kind of department requires an ossifer to supply his own AR type duty weapon???????????

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of them say that if you want to carry one, you've gotta buy it yourself.

I'd prefer it that way.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

The rifle isn't going to see thousands of rounds, maybe 300-500 a year, might be used for light hunting, and will be used for duty carry.

What kind of department requires an ossifer to supply his own AR type duty weapon???????????

MM

A good portion of them in this area.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of them say that if you want to carry one, you've gotta buy it yourself.

I'd prefer it that way.

What about liability?

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As long as what you buy is within their policy, they shoulder the liability. You're just doing what they told you to. As long as I do what they tell me to, with what they tell me I can use, it's on them.

Generally speaking anyway. Of course you're gonna get sued at some point, but you can't stop that without switching careers to librarian-ing or something.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As long as what you buy is within their policy, they shoulder the liability. You're just doing what they told you to. As long as I do what they tell me to, with what they tell me I can use, it's on them.

Generally speaking anyway. Of course you're gonna get sued at some point, but you can't stop that without switching careers to librarian-ing or something.

Yep, just obeying orders.

When has an officer ever been on the hook for money after doing something on duty?

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sherp

When has an officer ever been on the hook for money after doing something on duty?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RWE

[Linked Image]

I take it an officer has never been financially responsible for something they did in the line of duty? That is a good thing you and I both support so why flip me off for paying tribute to that?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Colts are now about $900.00 new

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Should just get his department to get a real one from the military assistance program. Might even get the M203 with it.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I take it an officer has never been financially responsible for something they did in the line of duty? That is a good thing you and I both support so why flip me off for paying tribute to that?

nothing reflecting your content.

I just feel like flipping you off.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RWE

nothing reflecting your content.

I just feel like flipping you off.

[Linked Image]

Somehow I doubt that. And it makes no sense because you support police just like I do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

720 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 71 invisible), 3,099 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,200
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.