Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If a person stirs up some eggs, dumps them into a pan, cooks the egg in contact with the pan surface so that part is cooked, then dumps some cheese onto the uncooked egg on top, and folds it over (we're talking a sort of thick omelet here), will the uncooked part of the egg mixture ever actually cook?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
There must be some way, but at the risk of completely exposing myself as a culinary boob, I'd try a finish in the microwave?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yes, the heat in the "egg" itself will continue the cooking process whether left in the pan or placed on a plate. But left in the pan it will likely overcook, put on a warm plate, it will continue to cook enough for the egg to be completely set.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can totally relate.

If I attempt what you're speaking of I spatula stir the eggs for the first part of cooking letting the uncooked part flow to the cooking surface. Also, you can always finish off in the oven.

NOW OTOH those Sunday morning brunch chefs do magical things with eggs that I'm not always able to achieve.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
+1 ^^^

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just give the eggs about half the time, or a little less, than needed to cook before dumping the cheese in. I love eggs like this.

Sean
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 5sdad
If a person stirs up some eggs, dumps them into a pan, cooks the egg in contact with the pan surface so that part is cooked, then dumps some cheese onto the uncooked egg on top, and folds it over (we're talking a sort of thick omelet here), will the uncooked part of the egg mixture ever actually cook?

The retained heat of the eggs already cooked will cook the rest. It won't be nasty dried out hard through and through, but it will be cooked. The soft, slightly runny interior of a properly made omelette speaks for itself.

Sam......

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I do this all the time, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

To complete cooking the egg to desired doneness, after you fold over, drizzle a little water in the pan, cover, and turn down heat as much as possible to avoid browning the fluffy yellow goodness...if you can't turn the flame down low enough, leave it on for a bit, then just turn the heat off as it continues to cook.

You can do this with any number of eggs or any size pan, adjusting accordingly.

Last edited by sse; 03/03/15.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by sse
I do this all the time, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

To complete cooking the egg to desired doneness, after you fold over, drizzle a little water in the pan, cover, and turn down heat as much as possible to avoid browning the fluffy yellow goodness...if you can't turn the flame down low enough, leave it on for a bit, then just turn the heat off as it continues to cook.

You can do this with any number of eggs or any size pan, adjusting accordingly.

And here I thought that I invented that technique! wink

Also, add a small squirt of yellow mustard to the scrambled egg. It enhances the flavor of the cheese.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
scrambled egg salad!! grin

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
add a small squirt of yellow mustard to the scrambled egg

uh...no

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Miracle whip for you! Seriously, try it once.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had some luck trying to cook the egg at a lower temperature so as to get it cooked without browning. Kinda tricky though.

Last time family wanted omelets I used two pans. Got it mostly cooked in one, flipped over into another, quickly throw in cheese, fold over and slide it out on the plate.

I like to add a little sauteed' onion and mushrooms.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I find that using a quality gas range, and decent omelette pans goes a long way to making them properly.
The temp of the pan, the stirring of the liquid egg, the addition of a little water to the beaten eggs, beating the eggs until all of the albumin is incorporated..............so many things to do. smile

If you are doing omelets for several folks, make sure all your ingredients are at hand. They don't take long, and you won't have time to prep for each as you cook them.

Sam......

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My comments were not descriptive of making an omelette, just a method that I use all the time to make eggs.

Last edited by sse; 03/04/15.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well heck, if omelets isn't the goal, just well beaten,(I mean wall beaten with a whisk until color is totally uniform) Then immediately thrown into a smallish hot omelet pan or any other skillet, scramble up and throw on grated cheddar when just getting done. Dump out on plate and scarf it up!

That's what I do 90% of the time anyway.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't scramble them...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

609 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,306
Posts18,449,109
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.