Print Thread
Hop To
T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
So, picked up a couple of Rem 700 308 Tacticals (one for me, one for my brother). Mounted bases, rings, scope, etc. on mine a couple of weeks ago - all good. Since then, picked up a Weaver 20 MOA picatinny rail off the classified, and was gonna mount it on my brother's rifle - the screws get tight fast in two of the base holes (noticed it was tough to remove a couple of the filler screws too).

I see there are 3 types of taps listed at Midway, etc. for 6-48 - bottom, plug and taper. Which one do I need? Taper? Also, any brand that you guys recommend? I've never tapped anything on a rifle, but have done it on vehicles (for boost gauges, thermocouples, etc.). Anything to watch out for, etc.? Other than take it slow and check frequently to see how the screws fit?

I figure it should be easier/faster for me to do this than shipping back to Remington.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless it's the front hole, just get the plug or taper to chase the threads. Easier to get started.

If it's the front hole, get a bottom tap. But if it's that one, it's hard to thread more than a few turns in.

Not hard to do......but just make sure you get started straight. I hit all of my new and second-hand Remmy's with a tap before I screw on the bases.

Any brand will do.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Ah yes, should have mentioned that it is NOT the front hole, so don't have to worry about the threaded barrel shank. It is the rear hole on the front bridge and the front hole on the rear bridge.

Thanks for the reply/info!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Taper Taps have 7 to 10 thread chamfers to distribute cutting action over many teeth and the taper also acts as a guide in starting.

Plug Taps, with a chamfer over four threads, is most widely used in through holes and where there is sufficient room at the bottom in blind holes.

Bottoming Taps are made with just enough chamfer for starting in the hole, only 1 to 2 half threads. As the name implies, it is designed to thread blind holes to the bottom.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Those taps are cheap get all 3. use a tapping fluid and take your time, go easy. I actually have a couple I have ground flat no lead to use on very shallow scope holes.

IC B2

T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Not worried about the cost, was more asking which one is the "proper" one for the application. But good point, get 'em all to have on hand rather than need the other one(s) later and have to wait on shipping again.

So is the Taper or the Plug tap the proper one to finish up the scope base holes?

T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, finding these taps in stock and getting 'em shipped promptly is the next challenge...

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Carbon taps are the best to use in case you break one off. You can break out a carbon tap if need be, I have special acid the eats carbon taps up, high speed steel needs to be drilled out and best done on a mill. Brownells has taps in stock

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...aps/wire-gauge-carbon-taps-prod6876.aspx

T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Several places show them in stock, but then won't ship for a week...

Long story, but it's my bro's new rifle. I'm gonna see him next Tues/Wed (lives 500 miles away), so was hoping to have one by then to fix it when I see him. Otherwise, he'll have to take it to a 'smith or return it to Remington - was trying to same him the trouble.

Midway had 'em too but show it wouldn't ship 'til next week with no option to speed that up. I'll call Brownell's today to see if they can get one to me asap.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I googled "machine tool supply houston" and Rex Supply should have any tap you want.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by TXRam
Several places show them in stock, but then won't ship for a week...

Long story, but it's my bro's new rifle. I'm gonna see him next Tues/Wed (lives 500 miles away), so was hoping to have one by then to fix it when I see him. Otherwise, he'll have to take it to a 'smith or return it to Remington - was trying to same him the trouble.

Midway had 'em too but show it wouldn't ship 'til next week with no option to speed that up. I'll call Brownell's today to see if they can get one to me asap.

TXRam I could and would ship you one, but I'm in PA and your in TX so don't know how long it would take to get to you. Let me know what you think Greg

T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I ended up ordering some from Brownell's and shipped to my bro, but Brownell's "tries to ship within 24-48hrs". I paid for expedited shipping, so hope they get there in time.

Rex supply only showed high speed steel taps...

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
When I order from Brownells I use standard shipping and I get it in 3 days. They are good people to deal with and will help and take care of you. If your a dealer, LEO, of military let them know and they will sell non FFL items at dealer rates. Did you happen to get one of there catalog? If so your be broke all the time, its like a Sears catalog of gun parts. High speed steel would of been ok if you take it easy but don't break one off then you will need to drill it out, carbon taps can be chipped out with a punch. I got a special acid that will turn carbon taps to paste, then use air to clean out the hole.

T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the tips!

I am a veteran - they asked about military, etc., so told them that but not sure they do anything for veterans (only about half of places do).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You already took care of ordering....but surely there's a harbor freight or similar close to you in Houston??

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Got the taps from Brownell's on 3/10 - so 6 days for Priority shipping, but there was some weather stuff so...

Anyway, used the plug tap to clean up the threads, barely felt any resistance honestly. But it was enough that the base screws threaded in just as I would have expected.

Thanks for the tips guys!

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by 257heaven
You already took care of ordering....but surely there's a harbor freight or similar close to you in Houston??

You won't find a 6-48 tap at Harbor Freight or similar stores as 6-48 and 8-40 are used in the gun industry, not a normal industrial size.

T
TXRam Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
yeah, I couldn't find them anywhere locally in stock

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 68 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.