Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have used Devcon steel putty when I have bedded steel scope bases in the past. I have an aluminum base to bed and I am wondering if the Devcon steel putty should be used, or perhaps the Devcon Aluminum putty, JB, or some other material? Any thoughts or opinions on the subject?

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I used JB. I think the thinner consistency is easier to work with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why would you want to bed scope bases if they fit the receiver profile reasonably well?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It'a all epoxy. Most any will accomplish what you want. I've used whatever is handy and there is no difference in the final result. You'll get your 100% contact and they'll stay.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I used JB. I think the thinner consistency is easier to work with.

Thanks.

IC B2

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Why would you want to bed scope bases if they fit the receiver profile reasonably well?

It's a one piece base and it does flex when tightened.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bob338
It'a all epoxy. Most any will accomplish what you want. I've used whatever is handy and there is no difference in the final result. You'll get your 100% contact and they'll stay.

I have plenty of the Devcon and I will use it. Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
100% contact

Guess that's my question. Since the bases are held place and in tension by the mounting screws, is there a meaningful difference between 100% contact and 80% or even 60%?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by barm

Oops, missed your reply. Reasonable fix so long as the result is parallel to the bore, any filled epoxy should work. Personally I guess I'd mill on the base.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
100% contact

Guess that's my question. Since the bases are held place and in tension by the mounting screws, is there a meaningful difference between 100% contact and 80% or even 60%?

If you're shooting a light rifle (around 7#,) and lots of powder, as in large capacity cartridges, YES! Less contact enables flexing when shooting, and the bases loosen rapidly. Even for the lighter cartridges it can make a difference in the long term. It's just one less thing you have to worry about.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
IC B3

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by barm

Oops, missed your reply. Reasonable fix so long as the result is parallel to the bore, any filled epoxy should work. Personally I guess I'd mill on the base.

I don't have a mill. I am limited to hand tools for my projects.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So am I. Good set of files etc. and the dreaded Dremel. laugh Takes more time and skill with hand tools but since I'm doing it for fun I like that sort of thing.

Then there was this time I had a rifle with the holes in the receiver drilled so you ran out of windage adjustment and I got the welder out... whistle

Actually, added metal to one side if a base and recut bases so the scope was parallel to the bore. Took A LOT of filing and an extra set of bases. But I file better now.

Which explains a lot.
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So am I. Good set of files etc. and the dreaded Dremel. laugh Takes more time and skill with hand tools but since I'm doing it for fun I like that sort of thing.

Then there was this time I had a rifle with the holes in the receiver drilled so you ran out of windage adjustment and I got the welder out... whistle

Actually, added metal to one side if a base and recut bases so the scope was parallel to the bore. Took A LOT of filing and an extra set of bases. But I file better now.

You are better man than me. I know Mule Deer has said he uses a file to fix bases which don't fit too, but I didn't get the gift to see it. I have used epoxy on Farrel bases and it worked out fine. I guess it comes down to more than one way to skin a cat type of work. For me it relates to time and ease and I can do this faster and better.

Last edited by barm; 03/01/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always more than one way to skin a cat. Comes down to personal preference (and prejudice) a lot of times. I favor the old school ways, wood and blued steel, but absolutely nothing wrong with synthetic and Ceracoat if you like it. Modern adhesives are fantastic materials if you understand them and use them in the application they were engineered for.. Particularly if you're in business and time counts.

Precision filing is a learned skill and I'm a long, long way from a die maker.

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,549
Posts18,453,561
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.