Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
The lines started blurring a long time ago when a certain American military unit started (re) realizing that they weren't the top shooters, nor close. The only difference between paper, steel, and flesh is the emotion we put into it- the guns don't know the differance.

There's about 30,000 words here for those with an inkling......

[Linked Image]

From the first Carbon fiber freefloat handguards to the MK12, to the KAC MRE, to the MK12 Hollands, to the present Block II M4's, there's been a steady progression..... Irons, Aimpoints, EoTech's, magnifiers, 1-4x's, 1-6x's, etc....

Even the Marine Corps is coming on board- looking at 16 or 18in barreled M16's with collapsible stocks, extended freefloats rails, Giessele triggers, and muzzle brakes. Yes- muzzle brakes.

As for barrel length make mine 14.5in please. I can do 16's, but all considered the 14.5in is the sweet spot...

An extended freefloat rail is the biggest upgrade that can be done to an AR/M4.

[Linked Image]

And is the first thing I would do to one. Yes- before a trigger, or even an optic.

That is really interesting!
No shaved gas block or skinny gas block, just the extended free float rail to keep hand guard pressure off the barrel. Quite a difference.

And, assembly must have been interesting.

Retired cat herder.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Still trying to wrap my head around it I have both with float and without float. I don't see such a huge difference. Here is what I am thinking. Hand loads make a shooter out of any gun if you work at. Maybe I need to mess with Some 855 and see what it does float vs no float

More than likely the huge difference is not using the bench rest correct or running sling tension on a non floated gun.

855 is what it is, IMHO you don't make it better simply by floating the gun. The projectile is the problem, its mass produced for speed, not for accuracy.

BUT I have been wrong before.

I simply have not seen a huge amount of difference until you put slings on the guns. But I can count the times I've shot a gun without a good barrel on it, and with FMJ ammo on both hands and feet and have digits left over. Played the load ball bullets with care thing for a bit till I realized the bullets were the problem.. not the rest of the "load" hence the use of mexican match so common for years.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RMulhern
It's easy to tell who the 'kiddies' are; first thing they do is mount a friggin scope! I'm 'old school' and I still see the irons quite well. In original configuration the AR sights are set up for the vision of an 18 year old because of the short sight radius. It was obviously clear to old heads when this rifle was first adopted by the military that the designer thereto didn't know jack schitt about what makes for accurate shooting!! frown IMO having the front sight attached atop the gas block is akin to sitting on the commode to take a dump and then realizing that you're out of crap paper! shocked If the front sight had been attached out farther on the barrel accurate shooting would be much easier!!

Amazing what could have been done with the sight out front. In the meantime with the sight in the wrong place the AR has eclipsed almost every M14/M1 Garand record out there in service rifle. Including 1000 yards. Firing the first ever perfect 1000 yard score that had never been done before.

And then we learned to play with aperture size and front post size on the AR and bingo, it works easy for even older eyes.

As to mounting scopes first, thats the first thing I do... test ammo with the least variables... then zero the irons.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Rost,

What would've happened to his groups had he released all sling tension for some of those rounds? How about if he rested the mag on the ground, or shoot off a hood of a vehicle, or around a barricade?

Originally Posted by deflave
Hey Form, which Go-Pro is that on your helmet.

Thanks.

Travis

The see in the dark model. grin.

Still trying to wrap my head around it I have both with float and without float. I don't see such a huge difference. Here is what I am thinking. Hand loads make a shooter out of any gun if you work at. Maybe I need to mess with Some 855 and see what it does float vs no float

Ammo has nothing to do with it. MK262 was used for the tests.

The guns were zeroed by each shooter off of a bench. Then 2x10 round groups were fired at 100 and 200 off the bench as the control. Then 10 round were fired from 10 different alternate positions. Ie- 1 shot mag mono podded, 1 shot off a hood, 1 off a barricade, 1 with a vertical fore grip, 1 with a flashlight added, 1 with a Peq15 mounted, 1 with a tight sling, etc. Then the forends were swapped, guns were rezeroed and the whole thing was repeated.

The differance in group size between floated and non float off the bench ranged between .5 MOA and 2 MOA. The newer shooters had the most deviation presumably due to inconsistencies in hold. The best shooters showed little difference. Again off the bench. Once the alternate positions were shot the differences were huge.

That specific test was about more than just handguards, but for a field gun, a FF handguard is probably the best investment one can make.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You did not take my bait.

I hereby deduct 10 points. Or somethin'...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Dang it. Throw the rope out again. I can do it!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rost495
It's easy to tell who the 'kiddies' are; first thing they do is mount a friggin scope! I'm 'old school' and I still see the irons quite well. In original configuration the AR sights are set up for the vision of an 18 year old because of the short sight radius. It was obviously clear to old heads when this rifle was first adopted by the military that the designer thereto didn't know jack schitt about what makes for accurate shooting!! frown IMO having the front sight attached atop the gas block is akin to sitting on the commode to take a dump and then realizing that you're out of crap paper! shocked If the front sight had been attached out farther on the barrel accurate shooting would be much easier!!

Amazing what could have been done with the sight out front. In the meantime with the sight in the wrong place the AR has eclipsed almost every M14/M1 Garand record out there in service rifle. Including 1000 yards. Firing the first ever perfect 1000 yard score that had never been done before.

And then we learned to play with aperture size and front post size on the AR and bingo, it works easy for even older eyes.

As to mounting scopes first, thats the first thing I do... test ammo with the least variables... then zero the irons.

I KNEW I could poke a stick in your eye with that one!

There's a helluva big difference betwixt shooting competition and combat! And we don't need to discuss the overall impact force delivered by the old '06 round or even the 7.62 NATO at 1000 yards. That's a moot point.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's easy to tell who the 'kiddies' are; first thing they do is mount a friggin scope! I'm 'old school' and I still see the irons quite well.

Why do you have a scope on top of that beloved .308 of yours?

Travis

Pretty simple really! It's NOT a combat type rifle!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
very interesting thread on upgrades. the only thing i've done to this gun is slap a can and light on it. can't even remember the last time i cleaned it, yet somehow it manages to kill stuff.

i like the golf club analogy. reminds me of buying my last truck. salesman invited me to look under the hood. i told him i didn't care what the engine looked like and hoped i never had to look at it. i just want to drive it.

i'm too dumb to offer anything informative here, so i’ll just contribute a kill pic.

[Linked Image]

and just in case this turns into a dpms thread...

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
OK, now I understand. Off the bench it may not matter that much, from various field positions the FF can make a difference, again regards how you torque the fore arm, or what its rested on or against.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
DJones, what does that hog weight in the last picture?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What Jeff does not want to mention is that the little bullets actually stuck in the targets at 1000 yards and did not penetrate... whistle

https://m.youtube.com/verify_age?next=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dtku8YI68-JA%26feature%3Dyoutu.be&client=mv-google

Last edited by jimmyp; 03/01/15.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What Jeff does not want to mention is that the little bullets actually stuck in the targets at 1000 yards and did not penetrate... whistle

https://m.youtube.com/verify_age?next=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dtku8YI68-JA%26feature%3Dyoutu.be&client=mv-google

Thats why it took so long to mark the target after each shot. They had to pull the bullet and make a hole for the spotter spindle. LOL.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Rost,

What would've happened to his groups had he released all sling tension for some of those rounds? How about if he rested the mag on the ground, or shoot off a hood of a vehicle, or around a barricade?

Hey Form, which Go-Pro is that on your helmet.

Thanks.

Travis

The see in the dark model. grin.

Ammo has nothing to do with it. MK262 was used for the tests.

The guns were zeroed by each shooter off of a bench. Then 2x10 round groups were fired at 100 and 200 off the bench as the control. Then 10 round were fired from 10 different alternate positions. Ie- 1 shot mag mono podded, 1 shot off a hood, 1 off a barricade, 1 with a vertical fore grip, 1 with a flashlight added, 1 with a Peq15 mounted, 1 with a tight sling, etc. Then the forends were swapped, guns were rezeroed and the whole thing was repeated.

The differance in group size between floated and non float off the bench ranged between .5 MOA and 2 MOA. The newer shooters had the most deviation presumably due to inconsistencies in hold. The best shooters showed little difference. Again off the bench. Once the alternate positions were shot the differences were huge.

That specific test was about more than just handguards, but for a field gun, a FF handguard is probably the best investment one can make.

Actually nothing with my buddy. His sling without a float tube was tied off to the barrel nut in front of the mag well basically.... easy enough to rig that way with a web sling. And the other varying positions, no difference because he is a shooter and knows how to deal with things, other than neither of us would ever rest on a mag... would rather use the sling if we had to do a mag rest...
Though a BIL used the mag rest a few times trying to cheat at a couple of matches and I asked.... said his impact never varied. Hard to believe for me, but I never did see him touch his rear sight.

I'd think that most of the variation would be shooter error, BUT shooter error won't go away from floated to not, so the error would be there but evidently the consistency gets better.

Its like my arguing that bedded rifles shoot better than non in the AR. They do. I shot enough groups to prove it. Not much better. But some. And much more round groups then once bedded...

Not enough to worry until you get good though.

But as noted, bottom line, float tubes are cheap, I'm betting you can find an ebay one for 50-75 bucks.... why not....

I'd take a good barrel ANY day over a float tube though. Trigger doesn't really matter, you can shoot just about as good with a crappy one as a great one, that is mostly in the head... but they make it eaiser to shoot well... a good trigger that is.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
DJones, what does that hog weight in the last picture?

i haven't weighed hogs in a long time, but i'd guess under 200lbs. haven't shot a big one in a while. this one's probably a little over 200lbs. i make them look a lot bigger by putting the camera close to the ground. btw - i steadied the rifle by resting the magazine on the hood grin

[Linked Image]

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The key words are "different shooting positions". Non floated barrels shoot just as well when all shots are the same and the shooter does everything the same. The free float allows for different pressures from different positions.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Pretty simple really! It's NOT a combat type rifle!!

So you need an optic to help you kill deer more easily?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rost495

LOL, anything I can do wiht a dot I can do with irons.... but magnified optics can trump that.

No you can't.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TWR
The free float allows for different pressures from different positions.

NO WAY?!?!?!?!?

Travis

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,898 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.