Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Baltimore/Chesapeake Bay crab cake is the only way to fly.

All lump, a little mayo, MINIMAL FILLER, Old Bay and

BROIL!!!

Bobby Flay took the basic Baltimore/Chesapeake Bay crab cake recipe up to Booth Bay Harbor and fed it to the locals up there that had been eating the local hero's green pepper,onion,cilantro, half a ton of filler crap cake and just blew him away.

They were actually visibly disappointed after eating "the real deal"

If ya wanna buncha a veggies make a salad first. JMHO

GB2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Crabs! Lobster!

You folks must be made outa money!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
some may know that for many years, I owned and/or operated seafood restaurants in Florida.
The recipe below is one I worked up back in the eighties. I would guess I served thousands of them over the years, and never had a need to vary the recipe.
In 2013, visiting family out west, I fixed these for a gathering. One of the guests was a 'famous chef', with a restaurant in Vegas. He said they were the best crab cakes he had ever eaten.
Sam's Crab Cakes

One beaten egg
1/4 cup Hellmann's Mayo
Several tablespoons of chopped scallion/ parsley mix
Dash of Salt, 1/4 tsp white pepper
16 ounces of Lump Crab meat

1/2 cup bread crumbs. (A Hot Dog roll in the food processor works great for the crumbs). Add in 5 or 6 Ritz crackers when you make the crumbs

In a bowl, mix the first 4 ingredients, then add in the crab meat. Mix in the crumbs, until you get a mixture that will hold together when you make a patty. Add a little more Mayo if needed to keep the cakes together. Do not add much more though.

Form patties in your hands. Have some of the crumbs on a plate. Briefly lay them in some of the crumbs, and sauté in a mix of butter and olive oil. Brown on one side, then turn and brown on the other side.

I need to try making these some time...never done it...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Crabs! Lobster!

You folks must be made outa money!

Dude, read the first post! I'm a mechanic feeding four. Ain't no big bucks here. When you volunteer to help out, and they send you home with a ten pound ice bag full of crab, you take it and smile. smile

Sean
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
down here in Florida, there are all the blue crabs you can eat, and for free. A chicken neck, bit of string and some brackish water are all that you need.
Heck, in the middle of the State, in the Ocala National Forest, there is a salt spring, and it's full of blue crabs.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sam, right on. My college sweetheart and I used to go out to Tierra Verde, near Sunshine Skyway and do it just like that. We would easily fill up a 5 gal bucket in an afternoon, and sometimes 2 buckets on a good tide.

A few long sticks stuck down into the bottom in around waste deep water with the string and chicken neck (or back). When a stick would twitch, we'd go to that one and slowly reel in the chicken piece and slide a net under the crab. Works like a champ.

Sometimes I'd net some tilapia off the seawalls on the way home.

Good eats, and free.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
we are truly blessed in Florida, when it comes to the bounty of the Sea.
My son killed 'em this year during lobster mini season in the keys. We ate like kings.
He shrimps as well, over on the intercoastal near Coco Beach. I have a freezer stuffed with fresh, frozen shrimp.
From Cedar Key, we get Grouper, Sea Trout, Redfish, Croaker, Tripple Tail, Snapper, oysters and clams.
Out of the fresh water lakes in the area, I catch panfish, catfish, Bass, Crappie, eel and other varieties.

Sam......

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
172 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,908
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.