Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Posted up in the "Freak Show" by accident, here it is for the food forum.

Helped the local Portagee hall with their crab feed last night. 500 people in an hour, close to a ton of crab (literally) and two hundred pounds of chicken. Took home about five pounds of Dungees, so, low cal snack time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by calikooknic; 03/01/15. Reason: +pics

Sean
GB1

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sean, feeding all those people is a good thing brother. No better giving back than feeding others. And I know you do it a lot. grin

You're a good man sir!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, an open bar for the cooks is a good thing too! whistle

Sean
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Looks delicious!

I like liberals-------------------------------------they make good bear bait! grin
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Looks great. I did a fair bit of work at our Anacortes refinery and would stay in LaConner and eat the hell out of crab cakes at the Seafood and Prime Rib. Killer stuff.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love Dungee's! Never had them as cakes, but I'll bet they don't suck. I'm pretty sure I could make half a dozen disappear rather quickly. They look great Sean!!

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Love me some crab cakes!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As sweet as Dungees are, they were a bit on the rich side. But no, did not suck, if I can have a say.

Not pictured is some home made salad croutons that I crushed up for cohesiveness, about a qtr cup.

Last edited by calikooknic; 03/02/15. Reason: damn-phone!

Sean
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sean those look great!..not to step on your toes here's my recipe for crab cakes I posted a few years back

Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes...I have been making these for quite a few years now and they seem to be a big hit.

Ingredients

16 oz. lump crab meat
2 eggs beaten
1/4 red bell pepper finely diced
1/4 small sweet onion(vadalias are best when in season)finely diced
4 tbs mayonnaise
1 1/2 tbs Old Bay seasoning
1/4-1/2 tsp hot cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp dry yellow mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tbs chopped fresh cilantro
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 pinch of sugar
2/3 cup crushed corn flake crumbs(these can be purchase in a box already to use (This is the ingredient that really sets these crab cakes apart from others )
extra virgin olive oil
2 tbs butter

Mix all ingrediants together except the lump crab meat.
After everything is mixed GENTLY incoropate the crab meat.You want everything mixed but don't want the crab meat broken up.
now form into cakes cover with wax paper or I use freeze paper (the coated side)refrigerate the cakes for an hour or two or longer if you want to pre prepare them.
Next coat a pan with olive oil and 2 tbs butter heat and when hot add the cakes. Fry till brown and flip and repeat till golden brown on other side. remove from pan on to plate with paper towel to drain excess oil and then plate for eating. I make a quick remolade with french dressing,honey, apricot preseve and 2 tbs mayo. I tend to just see what I have on hand and get creative.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Judging by the counter of ingredients, our recipes are very alike. The only difference being I roll mine in breadcrumbs just before frying. Either way, fantastic eats!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hot damn I love me some crab cakes!

I'm a simpler is better kinda guy when it comes to CC's.

Best I've had were at a place I worked years ago, Peasant Uptown. Sous chef had hands the size of a skillet with 5 handles, and damn could he pick crab. Dump a whole pound or two in each hand and flick out any tiny piece of shell.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Baltimore/Chesapeake Bay crab cake is the only way to fly.

All lump, a little mayo, MINIMAL FILLER, Old Bay and

BROIL!!!

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Hot damn I love me some crab cakes!

I'm a simpler is better kinda guy when it comes to CC's.

Best I've had were at a place I worked years ago, Peasant Uptown. Sous chef had hands the size of a skillet with 5 handles, and damn could he pick crab. Dump a whole pound or two in each hand and flick out any tiny piece of shell.

You want to see some picking go to one of the festivals on the Eastern Shore. I've watched those ladies pick a crab clean in under 15 seconds. It's nothing to see a pound of lump produced in a couple of minutes. Here's one from Crisfield.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
we nmade up about a dozen crab cakes and a dozen salmon cakes on sunday. we vacuum seal them and freeze. they are great for a fast meal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Looks great. I did a fair bit of work at our Anacortes refinery and would stay in LaConner and eat at the Seafood and Prime Rib. Killer stuff.

Lived up there for 8 years and ate a whole lot of crab! Shot a lot of ducks down in Skagit flats too.

FWIW if you're making crab cakes I prefer Blue Crab but for just crab eating it's hard to beat a dungy.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Only crabs around here are well shocked eek

I like liberals-------------------------------------they make good bear bait! grin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm with ya Pugs.

Folks around here look at ya like ya have a third eyeball if you mention blue crabs in the same sentence as a dungy.

Fact is dungy are easier to eat but blues give up nothing in flavor. I love blue crabs. Had a buddy that grew up in Beaufort. Every summer he'd head home and return with a huge cooler slap full of blue crabs!

Holy god, I ate and drank myself silly every time.

One year my dog got into all the buttery, spicy shells and bits. She ate herself sick and the exploding azz was epic. Took nearly a month to get the house decontaminated eek

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
some may know that for many years, I owned and/or operated seafood restaurants in Florida.
The recipe below is one I worked up back in the eighties. I would guess I served thousands of them over the years, and never had a need to vary the recipe.
In 2013, visiting family out west, I fixed these for a gathering. One of the guests was a 'famous chef', with a restaurant in Vegas. He said they were the best crab cakes he had ever eaten.
Sam's Crab Cakes

One beaten egg
1/4 cup Hellmann's Mayo
Several tablespoons of chopped scallion/ parsley mix
Dash of Salt, 1/4 tsp white pepper
16 ounces of Lump Crab meat

1/2 cup bread crumbs. (A Hot Dog roll in the food processor works great for the crumbs). Add in 5 or 6 Ritz crackers when you make the crumbs

In a bowl, mix the first 4 ingredients, then add in the crab meat. Mix in the crumbs, until you get a mixture that will hold together when you make a patty. Add a little more Mayo if needed to keep the cakes together. Do not add much more though.

Form patties in your hands. Have some of the crumbs on a plate. Briefly lay them in some of the crumbs, and sauté in a mix of butter and olive oil. Brown on one side, then turn and brown on the other side.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dan, your recipe does look great, but I will have to go with the last sentence of your post.

"I tend to just see what I have on hand and get creative."

I looked at about five or six recipes on line, looked in the fridge and cupboard, and started mixing. Let them chill for thirty minutes in the fridge, and got my pan, olive oil, and butter ready for battle. Wish I would have made up a cilantro/jalapeno/sour cream tarter sauce like I make for fish tacos, but it still went down ok.

Sean
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yep it's creative cooking not rocket science!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Baltimore/Chesapeake Bay crab cake is the only way to fly.

All lump, a little mayo, MINIMAL FILLER, Old Bay and

BROIL!!!

Bobby Flay took the basic Baltimore/Chesapeake Bay crab cake recipe up to Booth Bay Harbor and fed it to the locals up there that had been eating the local hero's green pepper,onion,cilantro, half a ton of filler crap cake and just blew him away.

They were actually visibly disappointed after eating "the real deal"

If ya wanna buncha a veggies make a salad first. JMHO

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Crabs! Lobster!

You folks must be made outa money!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
some may know that for many years, I owned and/or operated seafood restaurants in Florida.
The recipe below is one I worked up back in the eighties. I would guess I served thousands of them over the years, and never had a need to vary the recipe.
In 2013, visiting family out west, I fixed these for a gathering. One of the guests was a 'famous chef', with a restaurant in Vegas. He said they were the best crab cakes he had ever eaten.
Sam's Crab Cakes

One beaten egg
1/4 cup Hellmann's Mayo
Several tablespoons of chopped scallion/ parsley mix
Dash of Salt, 1/4 tsp white pepper
16 ounces of Lump Crab meat

1/2 cup bread crumbs. (A Hot Dog roll in the food processor works great for the crumbs). Add in 5 or 6 Ritz crackers when you make the crumbs

In a bowl, mix the first 4 ingredients, then add in the crab meat. Mix in the crumbs, until you get a mixture that will hold together when you make a patty. Add a little more Mayo if needed to keep the cakes together. Do not add much more though.

Form patties in your hands. Have some of the crumbs on a plate. Briefly lay them in some of the crumbs, and sauté in a mix of butter and olive oil. Brown on one side, then turn and brown on the other side.

I need to try making these some time...never done it...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Crabs! Lobster!

You folks must be made outa money!

Dude, read the first post! I'm a mechanic feeding four. Ain't no big bucks here. When you volunteer to help out, and they send you home with a ten pound ice bag full of crab, you take it and smile. smile

Sean
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
down here in Florida, there are all the blue crabs you can eat, and for free. A chicken neck, bit of string and some brackish water are all that you need.
Heck, in the middle of the State, in the Ocala National Forest, there is a salt spring, and it's full of blue crabs.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sam, right on. My college sweetheart and I used to go out to Tierra Verde, near Sunshine Skyway and do it just like that. We would easily fill up a 5 gal bucket in an afternoon, and sometimes 2 buckets on a good tide.

A few long sticks stuck down into the bottom in around waste deep water with the string and chicken neck (or back). When a stick would twitch, we'd go to that one and slowly reel in the chicken piece and slide a net under the crab. Works like a champ.

Sometimes I'd net some tilapia off the seawalls on the way home.

Good eats, and free.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
we are truly blessed in Florida, when it comes to the bounty of the Sea.
My son killed 'em this year during lobster mini season in the keys. We ate like kings.
He shrimps as well, over on the intercoastal near Coco Beach. I have a freezer stuffed with fresh, frozen shrimp.
From Cedar Key, we get Grouper, Sea Trout, Redfish, Croaker, Tripple Tail, Snapper, oysters and clams.
Out of the fresh water lakes in the area, I catch panfish, catfish, Bass, Crappie, eel and other varieties.

Sam......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10gaugemag, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,612 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.