Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
A stock similar to that one would be perfect. Actually, it is almost too nice, but it would work. I would have paid $150 in a heartbeat.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
GB1

G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
It has occurred to me to buy some cheap part from the guy just for the opportunity to let him have both barrels on feedback. But you only get so many characters on feedback, and again, I don't know the whole story.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
It has occurred to me to buy some cheap part from the guy just for the opportunity to let him have both barrels on feedback. But you only get so many characters on feedback, and again, I don't know the whole story.

I have a FWT stock sitting around and a nice one at that, I was considering offering up for a more than fair price. Think I'll just keep it for now.

Last edited by battue; 03/01/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

If I were insanely rich, I would consider starting a company to make good quality aftermarket reproduction parts just to drive these guys out of business. Extractor rings damn sure wouldn't "start" at $9.99 unless I really had to charge that to make a small profit!

Gun Doc

In case you weren't aware of Wisners Inc.... They make outstanding repro parts for a few firearms. Model 70's just happen to be one of their specialty. Granted not the cheapest, but dam fine quality.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/web_layout/rifles/winchester/70pre.html

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
...I feel better that I gave a rifle ...a new lease on life...

hey BSA,
I would't mess with a pristine rifle, but luckily I don't own any of those ;-)

Example, I bought this '41 308 heavy palma barrel match rifle and doesn't have any collector value, but a re-barrel & restock (if I ever find a cloverleaf hunting stock) and it will chasing deer long after I am gone.

Tim

[Linked Image]

IC B2

G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by battue

I have a FWT stock sitting around and a nice one at that, that I was considering offering up for a more than fair price. Think I just keep it for now.

battue,

If you read my posts, I believe I have said or implied in just about every one of them, including the last one, that I can't truly judge this guy without knowing the whole story. Haven't I said that more than once? Did I not qualify my statement above with "and again, I don't know the whole story."?

I'm not looking for a FWT stock, so I am not trying to change your mind. I am simply saying that, more than once, I have said that as much as I hate to see this guy doing what he is doing, perhaps if I knew the whole story I would feel differently.

At times, maybe too often, something "revenge like" occurs to me. By "both barrels" I meant tell him what I thought about his actions, in public, not leave dishonest feedback. But then I often realize I don't know enough to go forward. You don't know me, nor I you, so perhaps you don't think my qualifying statements are sincere. They are, but I guess you either believe me or you don't.

Best,
Gun Doc

Last edited by GunDoc7; 03/01/15.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I know.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder how much extra profit this guys is making by parting a rifle out. I agree with you, Gun Doc, it's a real shame.

Eric

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EricM
I wonder how much extra profit this guys is making by parting a rifle out. I agree with you, Gun Doc, it's a real shame.

Eric

Man, I feel your pain. We at Ithaca lovers of Shotgunworld have been coping with this for quite a while now. Those precious old 37s being shamelessly parted out for profit. It's enough to make grown man cry

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have no problem with someone parting out a pre-64.
If you look at the big picture you have to consider that tearing down one plain vanilla 1960 30-06 may keep a dozen others running with original parts.
My 270 has a replacement barrel and replacement stock both from parted out rifles.
Three messed up rifles combined to make one very nice one.
Carry on.

I like it here. They let me swear.
IC B3

G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
POPGUN,

It is undoubtedly true that the majority of the parts, hopefully all of them, get other rifles up and running. That is the silver lining, and I have recognized it.

As far as the "plain vanilla 1960 30-06", one hopes those are the ones being parted out. The rifle that got me so riled up was a '52 .30-06 with the stock cut for a pad, something collectors hate to see. But it seems it was a nice enough rifle otherwise. The claim is the barrel is "excellent inside and out." The stock is a bit dinged, but certainly serviceable. All the parts point to a nice rifle someone would be proud to own and use. He has feedback for parts from a '46, so I'm not sure if anything is "safe." I suspect it is mostly a money deal, and some rifles are too expensive to part out. But I admit I don't know how this guy or any others decide what rifles to part out.

To be fair, other than the messed up rifle you started with, do you know if the parts you needed to complete your .270 came from other messed up rifles or perfectly fine ones that someone parted out? I guess it doesn't matter.

In the end, I suppose we are back to your main point. Perhaps the "important" thing, for lack of a better word, is the net number of functioning Pre '64s out there in the world. That is a number no one knows, but hopefully every parted out rifle, regardless of vintage or condition, results in a net increase.

At least it isn't something like the government cutting them up with a chop saw. That would be a true tragedy with no redeeming aspect.

Gun Doc

Last edited by GunDoc7; 03/02/15.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by stealthgoat
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
...I feel better that I gave a rifle ...a new lease on life...

hey BSA,
I would't mess with a pristine rifle, but luckily I don't own any of those ;-)

Example, I bought this '41 308 heavy palma barrel match rifle and doesn't have any collector value, but a re-barrel & restock (if I ever find a cloverleaf hunting stock) and it will chasing deer long after I am gone.

Tim

[Linked Image]

Mr Stealthgoat, how does she shoot as is? what length on barrel? Im interested if you decide to part with it, I may have a stock for it and would cut barrel back to 24", did you get bottom metal with the rig? very best winpoor

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[/quote] .... Im interested if you decide to part with it, I may have a stock for it and would cut barrel back to 24", did you get bottom metal with the rig? very best winpoor [/quote]

Hey WinPoor, Good morning to you sir.
It was your picture of 'Carlos' and that big 8 point in the "Who shot a deer with a Model 70 this year" thread that made me start thinking I want to hunt whitetails with a pre-64 'snipery' this fall. A nice low comb cloverleaf hunting stock (wood or Mickey) is the hardest thing for me to find.
I do hope to have a whitetail picture with it in the fall!
Regards,
Tim

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mr Stealth, IF I had to go to one(1) gun that will be it, the very last to go! It is a one holer with a 36X and match ammo BUT the low comb steel buttplate will beat hell out of you on bench!You never notice a thing on the whitetails !!! very best WinPoor
Im building a 257 BOB target, varminter, Carlos JR as my old man deer hammer right now... v best

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by stealthgoat

Hey WinPoor, Good morning to you sir.
It was your picture of 'Carlos' and that big 8 point in the "Who shot a deer with a Model 70 this year" thread that made me start thinking I want to hunt whitetails with a pre-64 'snipery' this fall. A nice low comb cloverleaf hunting stock (wood or Mickey) is the hardest thing for me to find.
I do hope to have a whitetail picture with it in the fall!
Regards,
Tim

That's just plain awesome. Good luck with your hunting this year!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It's just a rifle. We have a greedy bastard around these parts set on dividing farms into 5 acre tracts. I'm not sure what my kids will have to eat in the future if this trend continues.

Maybe when he passes, they'll cut him up into little bitty parts and bury him all across the countryside.

G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
It is just a rifle, albeit a classic, even if it is a plain Jane classic. Another thing dividing up farms is multiple children inheriting them who have no interest keeping the farm intact. Eventually, the 5 acre tracts may get divided yet again.

At least the cannibalized rifle parts are not being buried, but hopefully being put to good use. At least there is that.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
GunDoc7, Does the seller you refer to have a fruit in his seller name? (An apple maybe?)
John

G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
John,

This particular seller has "hitch" in his seller name. Actually, I wonder why we have to dance around the names? All I have ever said, albeit sometimes colorfully and with passion, is:
- He parts out rifles.
- He seems to part them out to make the most money as opposed to keeping bolts intact and numbered bolts with receivers, etc.
- I hate to see it happen to solid, useable rifles.
- There is a silver lining to the whole deal as hopefully the parts result in a net increase of functioning Pre '64 M70's in the world.
- I would like to know more about his situation before I condemn him entirely (not that he or anyone else cares what I think.)

None of those statements are false. As far as I can determine, he describes the parts honestly, delivers on time, and deals fairly.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 03/05/15.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
GunDoc,

I thought sure it was probably the same guy that wants $200 for a mag box. It appears to be from the same 220 Swift that looks like it is as thoroughly parted out as what you described.
I guess in the long run it's kind of like if I came into possession of a valuble Wurlitzer organ or piano and could quadruple my investment by parting it as opposed to selling it outright. Different strokes and different passions for different folks. I tend to look at the potential upside sort of like you do, maybe for each one parted out, a couple more stay running or get revived.
John

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

611 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 57 invisible), 1,982 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,246
Posts18,448,040
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.