Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a newly acquired 75 IV action with Sako optilock x tra low rings and a Swaro 4-12x50 mounted on it. I ran numerous and I mean numerous empties thru it last night because of this post and only once did brass hit the scope on the way out but they landed a good 6 feet from me on all occasions. I did not forcefully move the bolt back either , just a quick motion . Ejector and Extractor are at the same exact positions as on the 85 correct?

BP-B6

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yes the ejector/extractor are the same on 75s but the bolt face is different. The 85s have the bottom of the bolt face machined to achieve CRF.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still my favorite out the box big game rifle. If mine hasn't run into these issues by now, I doubt it ever will. It is definitely one I would not see go. Still shoots bug hole groups, and runs without fail. Only thing on this rifle that gave me continual grief was the Schmidt and Bender. Great optics and outstanding mechanics, but don't think it the best choice for such a nice handling, well balanced, light weight rifle as my Sako. Every time I hunt the rifle, I think, crap, the rifle would handle so much better if I didn't have this big ass scope. Don't know what I was thinking to run such a heavy scope, so the only change I've needed was removing the truck axle for something simple, trim and light. Otherwise, don't see anything on the rifle bad, and don't see anything on the rifle that couldn't be fixed if it went bad.

Also love the Classic M70s, but only after they've been worked over, they fit me, and are well vetted. I have one of those left, chambered 416 Rem, and she's not going anywhere, but that was a lot of work getting her where she is now. The reason I went the 85 Sako route on my 9.3, I didn't feel like building another M70 for that chambering, wanted something turn key out the production box, and had already run 85 Sakos in 30-06, 338, and 375HH, that were all exceptional out the box. This last 85 9.3x62 has been so over the top fool proof, that it can hang pretty close with my guild smith built M70 in just about any way you care to measure raw performance, and that is straight out the box factory stock. Liked the rifle so much that I sold my most favorite and last 30-06. First time in my entire hunting life, since being a teenager, that I've been without a 30-06. That's how much I love this particular model 85. Absolutely ugly as sin, no aesthetic value whatsoever, but the best darn out the box production hunting rifle I've ever run, and it has been run pretty darn hard.

All this stuff is kinda like boots and backpacks, what fits and works well for one, may end up POS for another. When it comes to the M70 EW as example; I gotta have good fixed sights, so something along the lines of Recknagel is on my short list. I have no use for the Bell and Carlson stock, it does not fit me and does not work well with fixed sights. Most M70s I get my hands on end up getting a fair deal of work, even if keeping the barrel. So by the time I am finished, I end up spending more money, and a ton of time, to get something that fits me well and I really like. I am lucky to be close friends with a top shelf guild smith getting most everything free, or at most, cost. But even then, in comparison to what I paid for my last Sako, which fit me out the box near as close as my high end custom fit rifle, will go through a mag box of shells as slick as you please, has top shelf Recknagel sights, and everything on the rifle is take apart - put back together repeatable with little to no change in POI, that for me, I see it as a great bargain and awesome choice. But, like those boots and backpacks, the mileage of others may vary.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
B
B
Hey new to all this.
I just bought it.
Noticed shavings when examining bolt after cycling loaded rounds. 8 times
Never fired the gun.
After looking at the casings saw gouges at the neck of the casing.

Not a reloader. But don't know if I would reload these?
When I bought it looked down the barrel and saw a LARGE piece of brass. 1mm X 1mm.
I have been out of the game over twenty years. Was going to go deer hunting on the Queen Charlets or Hdigwy or whatever the almighty natives have forced the Canadian taxpayer's to call it.

I bought this because I thought I was getting the best. Now not so sure.
Haven't used it yet. Maybe I should send it back and look at something else.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
bead,what action is yous 85.Most all the problems are with ejecting M actions.The gouges sound like some other issue.If it were me I would have a smith LOOK at it.If he thinks it's a simple fix,I would fix it.Otherwise back she goes.JFR I have an 85S 308W and it has no function flaws what so ever.Best rifle I own.
GL

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
IC B2

B
B
Seem to be having a hard time finding that.
One site said SM?
It is a sako 85 Finnlight 270 wsm

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the S action in 260 and 7mm08, no issues, and the SM in 300WSM, and no issues. One is a Hunter with a cool wood stock for silhouette, and the others are Finnlights for hunting. Hoping to have a Varmint in 223.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
It's an SM action. I would check to make sure the brass isn't catching on the feedramp.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bead
Hey new to all this.
I just bought it.
After looking at the casings saw gouges at the neck of the casing.

Not a reloader. But don't know if I would reload these?

WSM's will do this. It's the case bearing hard against starboard on its way out. You cannot avoid it. It's normal and will not cause any problems. Mine does it. After nearly 500 reloaded rounds it still prints 3/8" groups every time.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
B
B
hanks.
Havent shot it yet.
But so much for the Sako silky smooth action.
My 25 year old ruger m77 338 is a cadilack feed compared to this.

IC B3

B
B
That's exactly what it is doing. The ramp has raised "ears" and it appears to binding on them.
It seems to feed pointed to right.

Is this normal.
If so I cant see how this can be called a silky smooth action.
My 25 year old ruger m77 338 is light years ahead of this on smooth.
Probably only fired 150-200 rounds through it. So not worn out and never jammed.

B
B
Yes it is catching on the feed ramp.
The ramp has two "ears" it is binding on as it is fed it skews to the right.
I believe the shavings are due to these "ears"

This is NO silky smooth action.
My 25 year old ruger m77 is light years above this for smooth.
And its not worn out. Maybe 150-200 rounds through it.

C
C
Originally Posted by geedubya
Very seldom do I pay retail, preferring to purchase rifles pre-enjoyed at a value. However, there are occasions......

[Linked Image]

Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine, 308 Win.

I have an inkling it won' be following anyone else home until I assume room temperature.

JAPPF,

GWB

Nice carbine! Got any issue with the ejection or is it working well?

C
C
Im in the progress of buying a Sako 85 Bavarian in the 30-06 caliber and this thread make me back off a lil. I kind of wonder if they all have this issue or just a couple out of the lot. Did Sako do anything to improve their action in the last years?

I asked Stoeger here in Canada and there is what i got for answer;

"The Sako mechanical ejection system does eject on a more vertical angle because of it’s placement in the bottom of the action. Sako has been using this ejector system since 1995. At that time, most scopes were 1” tubes and used smaller hunting style turrets. In recent years, 30mm tubes have become more common and a lot of scopes now feature tactical size turrets for some reason. With a low mounted scope, this sometimes can put the turret in the path of ejection. With 1” scopes having small turrets, low rings will generally work well. With bigger 30mm scopes, particularly if they have large turrets, we recommend medium rings."

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Cafard

Nice carbine! Got any issue with the ejection or is it working well?

Nope!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A SBC cousin chambered for the 30-06 Springfield

and

[Linked Image]

a Bavarian half stock in 6.5 x 55

luckily, I've had no problems whatsoever with ejection!

JAPPFT,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Im in the progress of buying a Sako 85 Bavarian in the 30-06 caliber and this thread make me back off a lil. I kind of wonder if they all have this issue or just a couple out of the lot. Did Sako do anything to improve their action in the last years?

I asked Stoeger here in Canada and there is what i got for answer;

"The Sako mechanical ejection system does eject on a more vertical angle because of it’s placement in the bottom of the action. Sako has been using this ejector system since 1995. At that time, most scopes were 1” tubes and used smaller hunting style turrets. In recent years, 30mm tubes have become more common and a lot of scopes now feature tactical size turrets for some reason. With a low mounted scope, this sometimes can put the turret in the path of ejection. With 1” scopes having small turrets, low rings will generally work well. With bigger 30mm scopes, particularly if they have large turrets, we recommend medium rings."

Cafard, that is exactly correct.

Nice rifles and vittles there G!

C
C
[Linked Image]

damn i love the look of this carbine! Is it a Z3 4-12X50? did you went with Optilocks?

Last edited by Cafard; 11/12/16.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes I can vouch for a .204 and a .270 Win. giving me the vertical ejection right into the windage turret on both rifles. Just one inch tubes. I temporarily solved the .204 clearance problem by spinning the windage turret to the left side. That rifle would put 5 .204's in under 3/8". The .270 Win. - nearly the same but the case would nit the turret and fall back into the port. Couldn't live with it. Would not take one for free other than to sell it.
The problem is the ejector is in the bottom of the action and sends the case straight up and into the scope - MAJOR MAJOR design flaw!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

damn i love the look of this carbine! Is it a Z3 4-12X50? did you went with Optilocks?

yes,

and yes

[Linked Image]

I wanted it to resemble it's 308 cousin (bottom).

However the Swaro on the 30-06 has the BRH reticle.

In retrospect, as I'm a short range shooter, the BRH style reticle is too busy when conditions are foggy.

I've really grown fond of the 30-06. Its a shooter. Don't ususally use factory, rather reload using Nosler Accubonds, but a bud of mine found four boxes of the Barnes Hog Hammer with the 168 gr. Barnes TSX, and I've had excellent results. The pix above was a twofer I was able to line up. One DRT, the other ran about 10 yds.

JAPPFT,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 11/12/16.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I have a M85 Bavarian in 7x64 that I purchased second hand. This thread has helped me a lot, since I did experience the problem of ejected brass flipping up too vertical, and it hit the scope turret. I did not have a 30mm scope or large "tactical" turrets, just a plain jane Leupold in medium rings. I did not want to install higher rings.
I ordered a Gre-tan long/strong spring and installed it with minimal fitting, problem solved.
Thanks for all the discussion and the easy solution, works for me!

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.