Hop To
#9649446 03/02/15
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Local gun shop has a bunch of Arsenal Bulgarian guns for $999.00 with a folding stock. They sold 3 yesterday afternoon while I was there..I got caught up in the excitement. I almost bought one myself but every time I pick one up and try to like it, I put it back down.

The concept of the AK is a cool one, never have to clean it, shoots all the time etc. Its the reality of the clunkyness and inaccuracy that puts me off.

I Google'd 200 yard shots with an AK as that is how we roll here and I wanted to be an expert but could not see much encouragement whistle

$1400 out the door with a case of Tulammmo...

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd pick up an SKS and roll the other $500+ into more ammo or back into my pocket over an AK if I wanted a 7.62x39 burper, but that's just me.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought one that was supposed to be accurate. It wasn't, especially after the barrel got hot. And then it did jam on me once, too.

It's not a bad thing to be familiar with how they work, but I have a hard time wanting one for a grand or more. That said, I do still have a few mags and scope mounts.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You walked away from a good deal like that? What was clunky exactly? Haven't seen that problem on an Arsenal.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
clunky to me, inaccurate as well for the two I had before....but you get caught up in the excitement smile

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
every sks I've ever shot, except one in an aftermarket plastic stock, has shot better than every AK I've ever shot.

my comment is worht what you paid for it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a MAK-90 in 223/5.56 with a MOJO peep sight on it, it's the most accurate AK I've fired...I feel pretty good if it holds 3 moa with "selected loads" and a touch of luck. It's rather instructive using a RCBS precision mic when sizing brass for these finely constructed rifles.

I'll agree that the SKS is a far superior rifle, as far as accuracy, when compared to the AK or Mini-14.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I want one just for the sake of owning one. However, I can't bring myself to pay $500+ for one. Paying $1000 is crazy.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have one just to have one. You ain't missing much...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got just the rifle for you wareagle, nice peep already installed, some mags....

I will say the MOJO sights are a huge improvement, the one's on my Swiss have made it into a near MOA rifle even with my aging eyes.

Last edited by kciH; 03/02/15.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
AK "reliability" as far as how most think of it, is a myth. They are no more reliable in actual use than any other well developed arm. By that I mean- yea they're simple enough that illiterate 3rd world rejects make them go bang, but they malfunction just like everything else. They're also the same people that break the stocks off so they're easier to carry, rebend the barrels so bullets will come out of them after them being "destroyed", and the same people who will murder each other to get M16/M4's and they don't have much problem making them go bang either.

I used to think the AK was malfunction proof as well. Then I saw them being used in great numbers, fired more rounds than I ever cared to from them, found out that they do in fact malfunction on top of compromised shooting qualities in every single area which lead to figuring out why it was designed that way in the first place and why the soviets used them. In short- they are the cheapest way to put something that goes bang in the hands of illiteratet conscripts by an army that didn't care how many of them died. Nothing about them was designed to be used well.

As long as you're ok with the above... Rock on! grin......

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
they are great for mag dumps you cannot hurt the accuracy much even if the barrel is glowing a dull red. smile

One thing the 123ish mild steel bullets do at close range is shoot thru a slightly thicker small oak or sweet gum tree than the 5.56 with 55 grain bullets. That is the only thing I see as an improvement.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For that kind of money, you can get one of the new Rock River AR/AK hybrids. Much more accurate and I'd bet it's twice as reliable. Not to mention that it uses standard AK mags, too. You couldn't give me another AK.

Like many others said, I'd rather have a cheap Chinese SKS. JMO, though

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kciH
I've got just the rifle for you wareagle, nice peep already installed, some mags....

Want me to send you my address? grin

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
$599 shipped to your dealer smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
$599 shipped to your dealer smile

Ha, it must be a good one. No thanks. wink

Last edited by wareagle700; 03/05/15.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Price reduced to $589! lmao

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Price reduced to $589! lmao

Let me guess, trade value of $700?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One owner! Low miles!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is absolutely nothing about an AK or offspring that has ever made me want one.

The one I fired reinforced my thoughts about them. The guy owner was shooting 12" groups at 100 yards and offered me a try. I also shot 12" groups, confirming it wasn't the shooter.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,176
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.