Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
340mag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I purchased a fairly decent kukri recently,a working camp tool, not some expensive custom blade, the knife blade is decent,the handle will be replaced, but the scabbard is basically cheap crap and while I could send it out to have a kydex sheath made custom, Im rather reluctant to send the knife out, and would rather fabricate the sheath to my specs so any info or experience is welcome.
price is not the big issue as they are cheap enough, but Id like to make it myself.
[Linked Image]
http://nepalkukri.com/index.php/popular-products/11-afghan-brown.html
custom kydex scabards / Sheath's are available, from several suppliers, or you can get the materials to make your own.
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php
http://www.valhallacustomkydex.com/knife-sheaths.html
http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/general-survival/the-1-hour-custom-kydex-knife-sheath-in-your-kitchen/
http://clevelandkydex.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=28_4

Last edited by 340mag; 03/02/15.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Little bit of a pain just to make one sheath, but if you want to, the key will be to buy a hand setter for the rivets/eyelets. In order to set them properly, that would be the minimum you'd want to get. As for the rest you can probably do the heating with a toaster oven and/or your kitchen oven or something similar as long as you're careful and follow some guide(s) from the internet. You can probably press it with a towel and a couple of 2x6's if you find the right examples on the web on how to make yourself a simple press. Be sure to form it quickly as it cools fast and sets up really quickly. Good luck with it.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
340mag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks for the info so far! if anyone else has experience please chime in!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've done a few. it isn't too tough, but I could never get the rivets right until I bought the press.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Rivets are the killer. I use the hand setter and some end up looking like they've been chewed on... I'll get a rivet press before I do another.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Toad that's very nice looking work. What are you pressing it with? I'd love to be able to do that

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought some of the foam from one of the knife making supply web sights and made a press. the amount of spring retention can be controlled and adjusted later if necessary.

another thing I found out the hard way is to NOT EVER use a belt sander or sand paper on the Kydex, unless you can scrub the inside of the sheath/holster. if you get one tiny grain of sand in there, it will scratch the knife every time you use it and it will never go away. I use files or rasps for final shaping.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by toad
I bought some of the foam from one of the knife making supply web sights and made a press. the amount of spring retention can be controlled and adjusted later if necessary.

another thing I found out the hard way is to NOT EVER use a belt sander or sand paper on the Kydex, unless you can scrub the inside of the sheath/holster. if you get one tiny grain of sand in there, it will scratch the knife every time you use it and it will never go away. I use files or rasps for final shaping.

Wow that's an excellent tip I never thought of...thanks for posting this...

Public landowner...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
a little tip I have figured out. 2 layers of masking tape on each side of the blade only while pressing gives it just enough clearance that the blade does not drag when going in and out. The dies for a press will make all the differance in the world. however if you have a drill press, chuck a 3/8 drill bit, scoot the table to the side a little and drill a hole in the table, chuck up the top die and drop the bottom die in the hole and instant rivet press.

When it comes to knives and guns, what does NEED have to do with it?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DaleAtkerson
a little tip I have figured out. 2 layers of masking tape on each side of the blade only while pressing gives it just enough clearance that the blade does not drag when going in and out. The dies for a press will make all the differance in the world. however if you have a drill press, chuck a 3/8 drill bit, scoot the table to the side a little and drill a hole in the table, chuck up the top die and drop the bottom die in the hole and instant rivet press.

that little tip would have saved me ~$70

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'll send you a bill. Say half. LOL

When it comes to knives and guns, what does NEED have to do with it?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.