Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This is almost heresy in some parts of the world, but wow.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152374609468509

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Thanks! We don't eat much sweet corn (prefer to can it), but that sure looks easy.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

4ager:

I wish I had seen this video last summer. We got a pretty good (for us) crop of corn from our backyard garden and we have shucked the ears and frozen them. Been eating them and sharing them ever since. This looks easier.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That almost makes me cry!

How many days of my life were spent shucking corn one leaf at a time, picking off the silks......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The way in the video even cooks the worms too.....

No need to shuck an ear of corn one leaf at a time. Cut the butt end off (as she does in video), but don't cut all the way through the far side shucks, this will allow you to remove the butt and about half the shucks. Then cut the tip off, but from the side that you just exposed tothe side with shucks remaining, again, not cutting through, this will remove most, if not all the remaining shucks. Takes longer to type and read than it does to do it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for sharing that.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, Sean. We've been using a pretty easy microwave method of cooking/shucking our garden corn, but that's even easier!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I grill the whole ear and the moisture in the silk steams the corn and then cut the bottom and shake out the ear like in the video. Easy, but wear gloves- it's HOT.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
For you corn grillers, how much time does an ear take?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been cooking corn that way for years, and by trial and error came to the same four minute microwave time the video mentions for average sized ears. For even cooking I turn the ear over at the two minute mark. Rarely do we have worms in our corn anymore, but if so, they cook and are cleaned off afterward.

Microwaving whole unshucked corn releases a lot of steam into the microwave so I added one step last summer. I wrap a small rubber band tightly around the silk end of the ear, to seal off the "open" end of the shucks. That reduces moisture released inside the microwave by half or more, a factor if you cook several ears in succession. I destroyed one microwave several years ago by cooking several ears one after another and the moisture built up into the electronics and fried the unit with a small fire. blush

For freezing, I let the ear cool as it is, unshucked, and then seal wrap the unshucked ear in Saran wrap. Microwave the frozen ear for four minutes.

We cook ears of corn in a campfire the same way: wrap whole unshucked ear in aluminum foil and bury in the coals for a few minutes. A shovel helps. Bury the foil wrapped ear completely, because if part of it is uncovered and exposed to the air, it will scorch and burn the corn at that point.

Love corn cooked that way!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Makes sense, microwave just heats up the water, and husks hold in the steam. That's slick.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Cheesy
The way in the video even cooks the worms too.....

No need to shuck an ear of corn one leaf at a time. Cut the butt end off (as she does in video), but don't cut all the way through the far side shucks, this will allow you to remove the butt and about half the shucks. Then cut the tip off, but from the side that you just exposed tothe side with shucks remaining, again, not cutting through, this will remove most, if not all the remaining shucks. Takes longer to type and read than it does to do it.

You tryin' to say my momma lied to me?!?

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm reminded of the old (bad) joke about the old Indian chief in his teepee. It's bitterly cold and a young researcher is there trying to get the chief to talk about what it used to be like. The chief is under a buffalo hide, but still shivering in the cold. The kid says, "Chief, you might be warmer if you turn the hide over and put the fur next to you instead of on the outside". The chief, skeptical but cold, smirks but tries it. In a few minutes, his shivering has subsided. A couple more minutes go by and the chief starts laughing quite a bit. The kid asks "Chief, what's so funny?"

Chief says, "Dumb old tatanka, him wear shirt inside out his whole life".

I don't think momma lied to you (or in my case, grandma); they just didn't know any better.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Brings memory's of some of Mickey's post and recipes he'd come up with long ago.

Phil

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Short of a couple of root veggies, corn is the only one I refuse to eat.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is excellent in every way!!!

Thanks!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cheesy and I with help from Dad and whatever kids we could con into it shucked about 2/3 of a pickup load at a time while the women would start freezing. We always cut it off the cob before freezing and topped the plastic bags of corn off with a mixture of salt, sugar and water. Tasted much better than the stuff frozen on the cob. The way he described really is the fastest way we ever found to get the job done.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My child bride has used the microwave version in the video. Works good if no access to fire. Pull silks or not, soak in water,throw on grill or in fire. When husks turn black, it's done. I used to work for a canning company. A comMon noon meal was:build a small fire, throw in the corn, when fire burned out- the corn was done. Sweet corn, like fish, is best cooked before it knows it's dead.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

345 members (10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,599
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.