Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Ziggy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The area I'm hunting in does not have an either sex hunt. So I'm not sure what tag to get. I'm leaning towards cow because their's more of them but the area does have some decent bulls just not as many. This is a first for me. What do you all suggest?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First hunt? Get the cow tag.

Where are you going?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Ziggy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Gunnison W.elk wilderness. Why cow elk?

Last edited by Ziggy; 03/02/15.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Because if you get a cow tag you're sure to see many large bulls.

Seriously though, the cow tag is a good bit cheaper, but if you'd be happier with a bull, get a bull tag. If you'd be happy with any elk, you've got better odds with a cow.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Ziggy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yeah I thnk that's good advice. I'm mostly after the meat. Bull elk next year. Seeing a bull and having a cow tag is the way my luck runs your right about that.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Meat or antlers? I've shot a lot of both and on the average, the cows are more tender and better eating.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It's good to get your trigger finger used learning to hunt elk if you have not been successful before.
Cows are all I hunt anymore unless I happen o get an either sex tag

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Meat or antlers? I've shot a lot of both and on the average, the cows are more tender and better eating.

I love the flavor of Elk,

and I don't care what any one else says, All the Bulls I've eaten, were "chewey"

You want good meat? A Cow tips the odds in your favor.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
since there are more cows that is what we did. Can't eat the antlers anyway.

of course we saw mostly bulls and few cows, but just were not in the right place at the right time.

Personally I"ve become quite conscious of quality management and simply can't bring myself to shoot a couple year old small 4 or 5 point raghorn just to say I did. I don't have that mentality.

I'll get a bull tag for shooting one for the wall one of these days. If I get around to it. As long as cow tags are available and even if they were same cost as a bull, i'd be looking for the cows.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'll weigh in by recommending a cow. Never had a bad one, and they have all been better than bulls, even spikes. And a mature cow produces more meat than a spike. You are virtually guaranteed to see a big bull you can do noting but look at if you have a cow tag. Enjoy the trip and learn about elk.

Good hunting.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for cow.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Unit 54 or 53? I'd go for the cow tag.

Ziggy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sounds good cow tag it is.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ziggy
Gunnison W.elk wilderness. Why cow elk?

ZiggY:

Check page 43 of the 2015 Colorado Big Game hunting brochure. There are either-sex tags offered in every season in unit 54. I think that's the best option for a nonresident.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Ziggy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm not familiar with 54, all of my scouting was done in 53. All of my maps are of exact locations in 53. I've researched 53 for along time, their was not much else to do until I could finally manage the hunt. What can you tell me about 54? I picked 53 because I was given exact game crossings and started scouting from there. I took off 1wk last yr to check it out. In 54 I was givin large drainges as a starting point but the locations were not exact and required more time to scout.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Rifle or bow hunt?

A large number of cow noses/eyes and archery range is not always such a good combo. (Although being in elk is always good).

Be sure to take a camera with the cow tag.
Here is my experience last bow season with a cow tag in my pocket.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-hMqgfpimODRk5sOFZIWnc4ZWc/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-hMqgfpimODRG0teW5UYS1XdGc/view?usp=sharing

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have seen more nice bulls come out of 53 than 54. Specifically the northeastern quadrant going in over Bechwith pass. Last year a young fellow took a bull that was at least 380. During the early hunts and at least about 1/2 away into the 1st rifle season, the better bulls usually get pushed back into 53 and the cows head for the bottom land hay fields on private land. There is a reason that there are so many cow tags left for muzzleloader season.

I don't think anyone is going to give out specific locations of their honey holes. Especially on a forum with 30K-40K members.

I have been hunting 54 for 20 years on and off and I still don't have any, what some would call honey holes. Every elk I have killed in that unit has come hard .
If someone believes cows are a sure thing hunt, they haven't hunted in 54 very often.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/03/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
While I think there sure can be honey holes, as nomadic as elk are, I just don't think its nearly the same as a trail crossing for white tails.

Elk just seem to do whatever and for no reason at all typically... obviously they have their reasons, but nothing firm enough to form a set pattern, other than elk have always, for us, been where you find them. And that means about nothing really.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
B
with 54 you'll be doing a lot of hiking, but this is what it's all about. TONS of good areas in there, with a nice herd. I live in Crested Butte, so I know the area pretty well, beautiful country. I would say either tags with a cow tag as backup. As far as the area to hunt, weather will be your determining factor.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Has Ziggy said what season he's considering yet?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (35, 257 mag, 338Rules, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 15 invisible), 1,309 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,466
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.