Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rolly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Does anybody think the above load is insufficient for Eland? I am planning to use it in May in RSA with JJHack as my outfitter. I would love to read your opinions.

Rolly
BP-B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I don't,but what did JJHack say,or have you asked him yet?

Last edited by elkhunternm; 03/02/15.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Nope, plenty good for eland.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Those eland are big big animals, think Brama bull size. While the 260 grain partition will work fine if a good angle is taken, the 300grain partition would work better. I took mine with a 300gr A-frame out of my 375. With that said, I would suggest you use 300gr accubond or 300gr A-frame which are both bonded bullets unike the partition which will shed the front part on entry. Your PH is not gonna let you take shots over 200yds and more than likly will get you within a 100yds. He doesn't want to track a wounded one for 2 days so use biggest bullet you can and don't stop shooting after the first one. The 4 skined hanging Qtrs on mine weighed 900lbs. Good luck on a great animal

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I used a 7mm Rem Mag with a 150gr. Nosler e-Tip at 3,000 fps last year.

My first shot impacted the big front leg bone just below the shoulder, shattering the bone, centered a rib on the way in and traveling straight on angle to the heart...

Only it didn't make it. That bullet just plain ran out of steam perhaps 6" shy of the heart.

The big bull leapt up about 6-8 feet - his entire body length or more vertical...and then he crashed straight down, that right front leg shattered. I could only see his head and it barely looked like I had done nothing more than knock the wind out of him.

He stood up after a time, showed his left side and a second shot went into the high shoulder, breaking the shoulder and possibly the spine. That finished him.

These are the autoposy pix.

[Linked Image]

If you look very carefully, you can see that the big humerous bone was impacted dead center and completely shattered.

[Linked Image]

That rib is about about the width of my wrist and solidly 3/4" thick.

[Linked Image]

Eland are BIG and can take a LOT of punishment. My first shot was right on the money - I needed more penetration. Plain and simple.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My recommendation: go big on the bullet. I'd avoid the Accubond - they expand more than needed and can limit penetration. I'd go Partition or A-Frame and I'd not deny a TSX it's place. 300 grains and 2500 fps will do the job on anything in Africa.

Last edited by rnovi; 03/03/15.

Hunt Africa while you can
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
The Nosler Partition will work just fine, for sure-

You might want to read JJHack's writings about the 270 gr. Barnes TSX in .375. He really likes the bullet for African game.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rnovi
I used a 7mm Rem Mag with a 150gr. Nosler e-Tip at 3,000 fps last year.

My first shot impacted the big front leg bone just below the shoulder, shattering the bone, centered a rib on the way in and traveling straight on angle to the heart...

Only it didn't make it. That bullet just plain ran out of steam perhaps 6" shy of the heart.

If you look very carefully, you can see that the big humerous bone was impacted dead center and completely shattered.

My first shot was right on the money - I needed more penetration. Plain and simple.

rnovi: Great post and info, Thanks for sharing! Good info on the bullet performance.

Never shot an eland but don't know how the bullet did not even make it to the heart after hitting that big bone(?)

All bullets are the same for killing BG animals.....I read it on here. wink smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A lot of people somehow think a Swift A-Frame will out-penetrate a Nosler Partition of equal weight and diameter, because the Nosler loses "more" of the front core. This isn't so, because A-Frames are relatively soft all over, since they're made of pure lead and copper. Also, only the front core on AF's is bonded. Consequently the entire bullet often expands, including the rear core, resulting in a wider bullet, which reduces penetration.

Also, the .375 Partitions are among the heavier models with the partition moved forward, so they retain a higher percentage of their weight. The few 300-grain .375's I've recovered average 87-88% weight retention.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My experience with moose and Partitions and A-Frames mirrors what John just said. I generally shoot moose more than once. Often I'll 'try' another type bullet if I've put one into him lethally already. On two different occasions I've hit moose with Partition/A-Frame combos which were in other ways identical loads.

[Linked Image]

The moose that caught this 250 A-Frame was fully ventilated by a Partition. (358 Norma; 200 yards approx.)

[Linked Image]

Those two 140 Partitions were staggered with A-Frames of the same weight and loading in my 6.5x55. The moose which caught them was hit from a distance of somewhat less than 150 yards. All four bullets hit the chest and passed into the far leg. These two Partitions were tight against the far hide. The A-Frames were stopped by the muscles in the leg. (Since it was a shared hunt, I never collected those bullets.)

That's not to say that A-Frames are inferior in any way, but their superior weight retention doesn't necessarily translate into greater penetration.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

That's not to say that A-Frames are inferior in any way, but their superior weight retention doesn't necessarily translate into greater penetration.

Right. Expanded Frontal diameter makes a huge difference. The A-Frames have a larger frontal than a Partition that blew it's tip off. That's one of the reasons the TSX's have such a great reputation as a penetrator, especially if they blow petals off.

I've yet to see an eTip blow the petals off. In fact, the one that I recovered from a Zebra completely smashed through a shoulder and looks picture perfect.

I really wish I had some bullet recoveries from that Eland. Sad to say, it just wasn't on the list of things the trackers in Africa were after at the time.

Hunt Africa while you can
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rolly
Does anybody think the above load is insufficient for Eland? I am planning to use it in May in RSA with JJHack as my outfitter. I would love to read your opinions.

Rolly, make sure your rifle is dialed in like this:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you are hitting close to the orange you'll be just fine. Bullet should be just fine as well. Ask Mr. Hack to see if it meets his criteria. He has the experience to back up his recommendations... Good luck with your hunt and make that first shot count!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have rolled a couple of adrenalin wound running elk with the 260 gr Partition and I would rate them harder to kill than an eland.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A lot of people somehow think a Swift A-Frame will out-penetrate a Nosler Partition of equal weight and diameter, because the Nosler loses "more" of the front core. This isn't so, because A-Frames are relatively soft all over, since they're made of pure lead and copper. Also, only the front core on AF's is bonded. Consequently the entire bullet often expands, including the rear core, resulting in a wider bullet, which reduces penetration.

Great info John. I have an article by JvB on bullet performance. At close range, the A-frame penetrated less than the Partition... and expanded less. But had a MUCH higher weight retention (99.5% vs 68.8%). This was confusing until I read your post above.

Jason

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have killed 2 Eland. Both were killed with a 375H&H and 260gr Nosler Partition. In the first one he was hit while browsing and went straight and I mean straight down. He was on his belly with each of his legs pointing out in a different direction. Darnedest thing I ever saw.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Here is a few pics of a 300 gr. TSX (.416 Remington) recovered from my eland last year. The first shot was a bit far back in the lungs (my fault), and in an attempt to slow him down, I tried another shot at him after he turned to run. This one was found in his chest, after entering his right ham...for about 7' of penetration. For animals this size, I think the larger caliber, the better. Of course a .308 will work under ideal conditions and ideal shot placement, but how often do we get those?

Attached Images
Pic 1.jpg (89.52 KB, 118 downloads)
Pic 2.jpg (86.3 KB, 112 downloads)
Last edited by vanbuzen9; 05/13/15.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by vanbuzen9
Here is a few pics of a 300 gr. TSX (.416 Remington) recovered from my eland last year. The first shot was a bit far back in the lungs (my fault), and in an attempt to slow him down, I tried another shot at him after he turned to run. This one was found in his chest, after entering his right ham...for about 7' of penetration. For animals this size, I think the larger caliber, the better. Of course a .308 will work under ideal conditions and ideal shot placement, but how often do we get those?

True.
I have, like most folks who have gone to Africa, a copy of Kevin Robertson's 'The Perfect Shot'. Great illustrations of vital organs in animals with perfect broadside, or quartering, or frontal, shot placement.

Unfortunately, animals don't often present themselves in perfect shot positions, and this is where big calibers really shine.
My only Eland was a monster taken with a bow and a Muzzy 100 gr. broadhead, but if I were to take another one, it would almost certainly be with my .375 Ruger and either a 250 gr. Barnes TTSX or a 270 gr. TSX. Nothing against Accubonds, they just don't shoot as accurately out of my rifle as the Barnes bullets do.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Originally Posted by vanbuzen9

True.
I have, like most folks who have gone to Africa, a copy of Kevin Robertson's 'The Perfect Shot'. Great illustrations of vital organs in animals with perfect broadside, or quartering, or frontal, shot placement.

Unfortunately, animals don't often present themselves in perfect shot positions, and this is where big calibers really shine.
My only Eland was a monster taken with a bow and a Muzzy 100 gr. broadhead, but if I were to take another one, it would almost certainly be with my .375 Ruger and either a 250 gr. Barnes TTSX or a 270 gr. TSX. Nothing against Accubonds, they just don't shoot as accurately out of my rifle as the Barnes bullets do.

I agree, you would be wise to go with a Barnes TSX. In the less than 400 gr. weights, they shot the best by far in my rifle. I'd go with the 270 gr. version if you can, but the 250 would probably do just as well. My only issue with Barnes is that they copper foul the s**t out of your barrel, doesn't affect accuracy if you make it a point to clean often, but still a pain.

My opinion is that a .338 should be minimum for eland, with the .375 just about perfect. They are extremely large animals that really can take a beating. My PH estimated mine to be around 1700 to 1800 lbs.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had a similar result to RNOVI while using a 7WSM and 160 Barnes @ 3060. The shot was about 65 yds and the humerus was centered and only fragments of bullet reached the area of the heart, bone fragments in the lungs did more damage.The first shot put the bull down but he made about 90yds before he went down. The shot would have been fatal as the major artery in the shoulder was severed and he was bleeding severely. Next trip is going to be with Ruger 375 and a pocket full of TSX.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Doesn't anyone use the BBC's anymore??? [Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Doesn't anyone use the BBC's anymore??? [Linked Image]

If the have them, they do. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.