Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Last month somebody mentioned the FAST drill, so we shot it today at a practice session.

Load one magazine with two rounds and one magazine with at least four rounds.
Load the two round magazine first.
Fire two rounds at a 3x5 rectangle (index card)
Reload from slidelock
Fire four rounds at a lower target (The lower target is supposed to be an 8" circle. You can use a paper plate if you need to, or print the official target here.... http://pistol-training.com/fastest I used a 5.5"x11" A-zone on a USPSA target.)

That link above has some previous times to compare yourself to if you want and a formula to add time if you're using a particular type of holster. I'm not going to include it here because last time it just got confusing and really doesn't matter, since the main purpose of these threads is to just get people out shooting with whatever they feel like using.

If you're feeling froggy, this is what the world record looks like....

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Standard 7 yards?

Last edited by DINK; 03/02/15.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah. Sorry about that. 7 yards.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Once the weather gets a little warmer I'm going to try this.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Disclaimer...I shot this from a no-retention holster and open top mag pouches. I'm not convinced that using faux-concealment like in the video above makes a huge difference, but I'm not going to buy a specially designed IDPA vest to find out.

I was able to get into the 4.6-4.7s pretty consistenly, buy 4.47 was my fastest time.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
4.47 is pretty darn quick. I'm guessing I'll be looking at 2.5-3 seconds for the first 2 plus another 3.5-4.5 seconds for the reload and 4 shots at best.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Nice video. I am always shocked at how smooth you make it look when shooting a 9mm. I banged out 5.3 using a G22 and looked like I was having a seizure to do it.

Also someone mentioned it before but if you print the target on 8x11 paper instead of 8x14 it is shot at 5 yards and considered acceptable.

Last edited by varmintsinc; 03/03/15.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey Cheyenne,

It's suppose to warm up into the 30's on Thursday and Friday---wanna meet a Otto Rd. and give this a try????

Blue---very nicely done---4.47----I agree, you made it look smooth.
Greg

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Nice video. I am always shocked at how smooth you make it look when shooting a 9mm. I banged out 5.3 using a G22 and looked like I was having a seizure to do it.

I changed some things on my grip recently and it's made a pretty big difference in controlling recoil. I'm still working through the change, but it's already shown that it'll be worth it. But just shooting 9 helps tremendously, obviously.

5.3 with a G22 is pretty danged fast. That's very impressive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PM sent, Greg.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
So what did you happen to change on your grip? Did it help with muzzle flip or absorbing the rearward impulse?

For me the polymer guns have never felt smooth at all, the recoil cycle is a like a 4x4 going over a bumpy road.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So what did you happen to change on your grip? Did it help with muzzle flip or absorbing the rearward impulse?

Muzzle flip. I'd probably have to take some pics to really explain it, but I'll try....
-I shoot both thumbs forward.
-Hold both of your hands in front of you, palms facing you, fingers of each hand against each other.
-Put your right hand in front of your left hand (closer to you).
-Lay them on top of each other, with your left pointer finger resting in the groove of your right hand's pointer and middle finger.
-Now just push your hands in front of you like you're holding a pistol, both thumbs forward.
THAT was my old grip.

Now keep that same hand position and move your left hand up "one notch" so that your left middle finger is in the groove that your left pointer finger was in. Your left middle finger will be in complete contact with the bottom of the trigger guard, probably right where it starts to curve up. THAT is my new grip.

It doesn't seem like it'd be a lot different, but it is for me. Rolling your left hand forward just a little more really cams the pistol down into your right hand, countering the muzzle rise. I also feel (although I haven't figured out how to quantify it) that it helps with side-to-side deviation since my left hand doesn't have as much rotation available in that position. It feels more turret-like than before, if that makes sense.

It looks more like this now.....
[Linked Image]
The biggest problem adjusting to it has been that your left pointer finger is in contact with your trigger finger. It takes some getting used to, to not squeeze or pull with it and interfere with your trigger press.

Check out this video, especially from 2:30-2:40. that shows what I'm doing now, just doesn't explain really well what I was doing before.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
For me the polymer guns have never felt smooth at all, the recoil cycle is a like a 4x4 going over a bumpy road.

The Glock22 is a lot like that for me too. I can shoot it, but it isn't very comfortable. Part of the problem is the ammo we were shooting in such a light pistol, part of it is that ridiculous grip hump in the back.

With my M&P9L and Gen4Glock34 and new grip I can pretty easily track the sights during recoil, which I never could consistently do with my Glock22 and that stupid Lawman ammo.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Understand the shift in grip, makes sense how it would give more leverage. Thanks for sharing.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Bluedreaux, your "new" grip is similar to the "new" grip I learned about 6 years ago.

By raising and rotating your left hand forward on the pistol, you get more of the thenar eminence (fleshy part of the base of the thumb) on the grip at a higher level. This gives me much more control of muzzle flip than my "old" grip did.

Thanks for including the video.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Interesting... even just using that hold without a handgun and trying to "torque" up your right as if shooting it is fairly difficult to get the hand to rotate.

Would make a big difference to me with muzzle flip.

Gonna have to try this during the next therapy session.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a chance to shoot it last night with my P220 and duty gear on. I averaged 5.5/5.6. I cheated a bit, I left the snap undone on my mag pouch and the top hood down on the holster.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good shooting Mac!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Had a rough day at the range today---(see my "Glock Problem" thread)….anyway,
my best was 6.26 and I felt like a trombone-playing-monkey having a seizure---nothing was smooth---had a 6.46 and 7.06 with a totally screwed up reload. Good drill however.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Do you guys have your left hand torqued downward as far as it will go? When I try to duplicate the grip shown in the video (paying attention to the base of my thumb relative to the gun), my left wrist is bent downwards to the limit, is that correct. This also puts my left trigger finger in a weird position to interfere with the trigger and my right finger; have to work on that. (I have long fingers.)

I really need to get a shot timer. Have any of you had good luck with shot timer apps on an iPhone? I've tried a couple, but haven't found one that works reliably.

Last edited by Yondering; 03/10/15.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,706
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.