Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I am very interested in replacing my 35 year old Sears canvas bird hunting coat.
Please offer up brands and what kind of experience you have had with that product.
Thanks
Phil

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had this Filson bird hunting coat for 20 years (+/-) - I heard recently they have discontinued a lot of their hunting products, but I don't know. My coat is just getting broken in - made of "tin cloth" - they last.

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also have a Filson Waxed Canvas (very heavy cotton) coat. Very expensive but willl last a lifetime. I would look at LL Bean, they have some nice traditional hunting coats, they also have a waxed cotton version, and the good news, they are reasonable for price.

Last edited by 300Savage; 02/24/15.
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thank you

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Labsandelk, my first Hunting Coat was from Montgomery Wards, I believe it was a Western Field. Bought it new in 1966 for $16, wore it until 1993 when I passed it on to my son. He used it as a work coat, and got a couple of year out of it before he stopped using the coat, 30 years of service is not to bad. I then used some Remington upland bird clothing ( well made and durable) for the next 10 years before I switched to Filson. Remington Coat, vest and pants are still downstairs in a closet. They show very little wear and are warm and comfortable to wear. Some sort of man made fabric that breaths well, drys out quickly, and is warm to the skin. I only got the Filson stuff, because Gander Mountain had a 1/2 off Sale after Christmas in 2004 and I could not pass on the deal. The Filson coat and bird vest have stood up well, so have the chaps, the oil coated tin cloth pants are getting very frayed on the bottom of the cuffs and I think I am going to take them and have a piece of leather sewn to extend the life. If you do deceide to order Filson do yourself a favor and have them install the leather binding on the bottom of the pants.

Last edited by 300Savage; 02/24/15.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[color:#FFFF00][/color]
Originally Posted by Odessa
I've had this Filson bird hunting coat for 20 years (+/-) - I heard recently they have discontinued a lot of their hunting products, but I don't know. My coat is just getting broken in - made of "tin cloth" - they last.

[Linked Image]

Those dogs look happy smile

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for the heads up on the Filson pants
It seems that Jays is a large retailer of Filson. I will stop in and see what they have in stock then order on line

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I called Beans and they are currently out but the fall order will be in sometime in June

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are familiar with Jays, you must be from Michigan. I stopped at the store in Clare on my way to do some Salmon Fishing last October and was amazed that they did not have any Filson items for Sale. I don't know if they still carry the brand. The latest Filson catalogue shows only one store in Michigan in the UP.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Filson heavy tin cloth should get raves on durability, but it will never be broken in. If it is hot you will sweat more than a little under it. If it is cold it wears like a stiff board and gives little warmth. To its credit, if going thru the jaggers it can't be beat. They named it well when they used the word tin cloth. They do have some lighter tin cloth offerings that are more practical.

LLBean has jackets that are much more comfortable for all around use.

Last edited by battue; 02/25/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
True enough - tin cloth does hold the heat in when its hot; of course when it's hot I don't wear a coat of any type (use a shirt with some brier patches and a strap vest, add a wool vest if it's cool). Now, I've always been quite warm in the tin coat when it's cold out; of course I wear other clothes under the coat (how much actually depends on how cold it is) - a nice wool vest over a good flannel or chamois shirt helps as well if it is pretty cold. Browning also offers a nice line of canvas pants and coats; not as expensive or as stiff (or as durable) as the Filson, but should last a long, long time. Happy hunting!

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Odessa,

I'm a hunting coat freek and there isn't much I'm not willing to try in the search for what works. No doubt Filson makes quality gear. That being said high on my list are clothes that move easy while wearing.

My problem with the heavy tin cloth is it doesn't move all that well. Especially when you start adding layers underneath. Most of the time when moving and while upland hunting in the cold I wear two LW poly something tops along with a thin puff jacket. These days usually under an llBean field coat.

That combination gives a lot of flexibility to adjust to varying temps. And if something needs removed-usually the puff jacket-I place it in a garbage bag and put it in the game pouch. Takes up little space and you hardly know it is there.

Whoever came up with the idea of the puff jacket should be given a big thanks from all who roam around in the outdoors. One extremely versatile piece of gear.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Battue, well stated. I do find my Remington hunting coat or a Gander Mountain canvas barn coat much more comfortable for movement and breathability than my Filson gear. If it wasn't for the opportunity to pick up a coat, strap vest, pants and a pair of chaps and suspenders for just over $200 about 10 years ago at a close out sale, I probably would not have Filson gear. I still very much like their chaps and bird vest, great for warm weather hunting. Get the extra large version and you can wear it over other clothing for cold weather. My Filson coat is 11 years old and it is still stiff, and the pants when you slip them on in a cold cabin are stiff and cold to the touch. But they can't beat for the briars and hawthorn bushes.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Versatility is why I ended up with a strap vest. I wear whichever garment works for that day and put on the vest as the last layer.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I have a Filson tin cloth cruiser and I really like it. It wears like iron.

I have been chastised before for posting stuff like this but I will post it again. I have purchased grade "A" primo vintage stuff from these folks. You can trust their word on condition. If you browse thru their hunting clothes available you might even find a like new replacement of your old Sears jacket! Not that they have one now, but keep checking!

http://www.vintagetrends.com/search/thumbnails.asp?SS=Hunting

Last edited by kaywoodie; 03/02/15.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Kaywoodie, I will check out this site. Not sure why someone would chastise a member for providing useful info.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Oh not really chastise. That might have been too strong a word. More like a little belittling or teasing concerning my affection for vintage things of wool, and canvas. But I can't help the fact that I prefer old style equipment. Nothing against folks who prefer newer fabric/materials. It just not my particular style.

Last purchase from the folks was a like new Chippewa Mills buffalo type check Mack from the 50's. It's my elk hunting coat. I have another canvas upland hunting coat I picked up elsewhere.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Google tin cloth in New Zealand.
Check out Swandri and ecowool. That may lead you to other links.
New Zealand companies make excellent waxed coats.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Kaywoodie
Found an older LLBEAN coat on that site. Think I will get it
Thanks
Phil

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My absolute favorite is vintage Duxbak from the late 1920s thru the late 1940s. This coat has buttons, so no metal snaps to wreck the stock of a fine shotgun. large side pockets (actually tandem pockets) share one wide flap. I wish somebody would re-make a coat in this pattern. I've been collecting them in various sizes thinking that one day I can convince someone to start making them again. I don't know if the sanfordized cravenette cotton canvas is still available, but its a great fabric. It's super strong, water resistant, and light weight. IMHO, these original garments are really the best of the best ever made. I have several Filson coats, but I find that oiled tin cloth either makes me sweat (its doesn't breath) and/or is stiff and frigid when worn in the cold. The lighter weight shelter and cover cloth seem to breath and I don't notice them being stiff or cold in sub-zero temps. If I think of it I'll post some pics of my classic Duxbak jackets.

Phil, msg me your size.

Last edited by kingston; 03/07/15.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
772 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 79 invisible), 3,058 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.