Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm interested in going back to South Africa or perhaps Namibia for another dose of African adventure. On my first trip, I took 8 species of plains game, and had a wonderful time living out a lifelong dream. I also found the that the taxidermy and shipping and waiting for trophies was just too costly and took too long and too much worry. I'd like to go back and have more African hunting experiences, but don't really care to bring back more trophies, the photos and memories would be enough. I am a hunter of modest means, and don't have room in my house for more "stuff" anyway. ( After a year, I haven't even hung up my eland and gemsbok heads) I might keep the teeth of another warthog, or the outer horn sheath of an eland, but that's about it. I'm more of a hunter-naturalist than a trophy hunter for sure, but the entire PH / Outfitter system seems geared to trophy collectors. I'd like to shoot a few antelope, perhaps a few birds, do some fishing, while learning about the environment and the critters that live there. Are these sacrilegious thoughts? Does anybody offer that kind of experience?

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Absolutely. We've had a few hunters come in, hunt, take some good photos, and leave. We have to be honest, taxidermy IS a substantial cost to a safari and one that needs to be budgeted for.

Please check your PM folder.

Last edited by KMGHuntingSafaris; 03/02/15.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have done a couple of hunts in Africa like you described. A couple of days of photographic safaris mixed with fishing and hunting is always fun. My wife and I spent a month in Zimbabwe once doing just that. My last couple of trips I have not spent any money on pack and dip, air freight, agents, taxidermists, etc. The memories have been more than enough.

You may consider Mokore Safaris in Mozambique. They have a several hundred thousand acre unfenced concession with great plains game hunting. They also operate an Eco Camp in the area that offers experiences other than hunting.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Another note is consider the time of year you go. Depending on the area you can see some unique things when the seasons change.

For me I love being in Zim during the month of November. I have seen rivers fill up overnight, grass sprouting, mopane trees turn green, and red velvet mites appear with the first rain.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I huted South Africa in June 2014

10 fabulous days and eleven different species of game in the salt

I opted for no import due to the 10k worth of cost involved

I am more than satisfied with a great photo album and money saved on heads on the wall will get spent on other hunting

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Check around, theres a number of outfits offering cull hunts. More shooting, less trophies! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't think it is sacreligeous at all....I was a bit surprised at the cost of taxidermy for a safari, and I don't have the wall space, either (yet, I must admit that I REALLY wanted that gemsbok and wildebeest head as a reminder of my first trip!)
As long as the meat is used, I have issue with leaving heads/hides back in SA. However, I do believe it you DON'T export the trophies, you will be charged VAT on the trophy rates (which I still think is cheaper....ALOT cheaper...than taxidermy rates).
Maybe Marius can weigh in on that, as I am not certain.....

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
While I admire the artistry and workmanship that goes into the taxidermy, you certainly need sufficient wall space, or even a trophy room to display it. However, a zebra rug on the wall would be cool.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
1st time we went to Africa, we brought everything back. Last couple of times, not. Pictures good enough. God grandson's stuff came back, but just a couple of things. No VAT charged on the stuff I left there the last times I was there. One big difference between now and the old days is, the pictures so much better, they can actually fill in quite nicely, and can get poster size ones to put up that can really show what's there.

Ghost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 16gauge
However, I do believe it you DON'T export the trophies, you will be charged VAT on the trophy rates (which I still think is cheaper....ALOT cheaper...than taxidermy rates).
Maybe Marius can weigh in on that, as I am not certain.....

You are absolutely correct. If nothing get's exported, there is VAT payable on the animals. VAT is 14%. Excellent point.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did 8 safaris and only on the last one did I take a trophy. It was for Elephant and I brought the tusks back. Prior to that I gave all my trophies I shot to the PH/Outfitter to do with as he desired. The Ph actually mounted my Oribi and Waterbuck and another PH friend had a pedastal mount made of my Sable. I have 2 Zebra rugs that were actually gifts from friends there. I just don't particular have any use for trophies. Also I live in a modern townhouse and the ceilings are a little less than 8ft. Also my late wife has almost everywall covered with nice (and valuable) oil paintings we had collected over the years. I have my memories and many photos to show. They are all I need. I plowed the Taxidermy and shipping fees into more animals and longer safaris. Worked for me.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Quite understandable thought. The experience is #1, mounts #2. Still figuring out where a 54" Kudu, Gemsbok, and a few others are going to land......not to mention the Bison from Utah. I just thought a skull/horns (ok european mount) paled in comparison to a shoulder mount.

I do a lot of tap-dancing around the wife and give friends dirty looks when the pour the salt in the wound - they know better than to ask where animal A or B is going - but they do it anyway, and always in front of the wife.

Go, pay the VAT and enjoy every minute!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just went through this with a PH. I explained to him that my wife and I really wanted to visit and hunt in Namibia, but after a 2009 safari to RSA, my "man cave" is full and and I don't need any more mounts.

He assured me, that NOTHING goes to waste and if I would be satisfied with photos, that was fine with them. Obviously, the costs of taxidermy and shipping is significant, and could make the difference between safari, or no safari.

I plan to go this route.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This is the reason I haven't gone to Africa. I love the idea of it. But I don't know what to do with the trophies? I don't want big mounts taking up my wall space anymore (I sold off my two Moose mounts just to get the wall space back) and I'm a meat hunter but you don't get to bring the meat home from Africa. It just doesn't work out well for me.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
You can just have European mounts done.. They are easy to move, and cost far less than full mounts.. I have a relative that went, and only brought home photos of the game taken..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
as far as im concerned the experience is worth more than any trophy brought back....would happily go even with no camera along and nothing brought home but memories........but would REALLY prefer to bring the camera too laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'm a meat hunter but you don't get to bring the meat home from Africa. It just doesn't work out well for me.

Mike I am a meat hunter too, but take comfort in the fact that all the meat ( and a lot of other stuff that we don't consider edible) gets used for human food when a game animal is shot in most of Africa. I did get to taste some of my animals on my first safari, and I'd insist on the opportunity to taste some of each on my next safari, but regardless of who has the meal, all the meat gets utilized by someone, and they are grateful.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
You can just have European mounts done.. They are easy to move, and cost far less than full mounts.. I have a relative that went, and only brought home photos of the game taken..

What is rarely discussed is the cost of export

1st there is the cost of cleaning the skull....this must be done to be legal to export

Then there is insecticide dipped, wrapped and packed in a wooden crate and air shipped

After your pacage leaves Africa it can only be shipped to certain airports that will receive game

After US arrival a USDA approved broker must be hired to clear your crate and pay game and fish fees

Then the crate can be picked up or shipped with more cost to you

Dip and pack for my 10 animals was going to cost $2400
Shipping from Africa to Chicago was quoted at $1400
Broker fee at Chicago was quoted at $500
Shipping from Chicago to me was quoted at $300

$4600 for a crate of cleaned skulls and salted capes

Add in a $9000 quote for 10 shoulder mounts and I decided to pass on import and just embrace the memories and photographs

The cost after the safari is seldom talked about

It is as much if not more than the hunt itself depending on animals killed

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
"After US arrival a USDA approved broker must be hired to clear your crate and pay game and fish fees"

This is wrong...you can, and I and many others have done so, do this yourself...and no fish and game fees....

but yes, none of the rest is cheap...

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The costs are about the same for importing trophies to Canada as what Tedthorn listed. I'd rather hunt more.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
373 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 38 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.