Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Anybody ever have the bolt of their m70 break the part where the bolt handle and bolt body are welded together? I have a push feed Feather-weight from the late 80s that started out as a 243 that I shot out and now is a 308 that I want to have barreled to 358win.Anyway I want to use this rifle for all the 308 case shells 260,7-08 and maybe a wildcat.Is there something I should do to prevent this two piece bolt from breaking or find something more meaningful to worry about like is it ever fricking going to warm up.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd find something more meaningful to worry about.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
That was my gut feeling but I read a article by Brian Pearce some time back where he wrote about it and there was something you could do about it to prevent it from breaking.He was talking about using the rifle in a dangerous game type situation not shooting sweet little deer that I use the rifle for...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I was a Winchester warranty 'smith for fifteen years or so. In that time, I saw three or four. It seems to me, they all showed up within a two year period which led me to believe it was a production problen which occured briefly. GD

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
GD thanks.I can go back and worry about what color my wife wants me to paint the bathroom

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
greydog -

THNX, that's nice to know.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think most of these problems, whether they are M70s, M700s or some other make and design, are either done well and fail within a period of use, or they will be proven in that period of use. If the latter is the case, I wouldn't worry about it. If I was flying several thousand miles and hunting out of country, perhaps it would be worth augmenting the joint.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a Classic STS .338WM, it is my "beater" for keeping in my Taco 4x4 and Greydog was among the BC smiths who worked on this, when a buddy of mine started the project.

After speaking with some very experienced local gun people, I chose to send this to Martini Gunmakers in Cranbrook, BC and Jan Kolenbrander, the former metalman there, modded the bolt/handle a and a couple of other things.

I also have a short Classic STS .308, this was much modded by the same excellent smiths and is my other "beater" as I got a h*ll of a deal on it.

Both are in Micky FWT patterns, Edge on the .308, both have Brockman/Talleys and sourdough fronts.

The single reason I did this is that I do NOT take chances with my gear in what are often solo BC bush trips and felt that the $$$$ spent to have the work done were well spent.

Would I do so in areas where G-Bears do not exist, no, not worth it, IMHO.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by greydog
I was a Winchester warranty 'smith for fifteen years or so. In that time, I saw three or four. It seems to me, they all showed up within a two year period which led me to believe it was a production problen which occured briefly. GD
I figured it was quite rare. I've used M70s for over 40 years, along with a bunch of other guys and never had it happen, nor heard of it happening.

But another thread a week ago had a M70 where that occurred. I hope he sent it back to Winchester for repair; I'm betting it won't cost him a cent other than shipping.

A process called 'pinning' can give some added strength and/or insurance that it won't occur when shooting at something that can bite back.. I've done it on a couple of rifles via the customers' request..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by greydog

What years might you guess?

Speak life
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have also heard of welding the bolts to prevent breakage. Pre 64's didn't have this problem as their bolt and handle was milled from one piece of steel.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
If you want your bolt handle to fall off, you're gonna have to buy a Remington.

It's never going to warm up however so you're screwed on that end. wink

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

What years might you guess?[/quote]
As I recall, these were in the mid to late-eighties. I have two post-64 Model 70's and I'm not concerned about either one. GD

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yep, Brian Pearce can tell you all about it...he's had an article in Rifle magazine about just that, and a mention or two in his Q&A's from time to time.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had a M-70 bolt handle come off a few years ago. The rifle is a M-70 Classic stainless synthetic in .270 WSM.

Supposedly, per the USRAC advertising literature, the bolt handles had both interlocking flutes and brazing to prevent this from happening. This one clearly had the flutes but no brazing was apparent. Perhaps stainless can't be brazed, I don't know.

Anyway, I took the bolt to a local welding shop and had them TIG weld the handle to the bolt. Crisis resolved.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I had the bolt handle on my 416 welded on by Dan at Accu-Tig for $50 all in. Cheap insurance. D'arcy Echols pins his.

Conduct is the best proof of character.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1941USMC, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,308
Posts18,468,178
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.