Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Ed, Got busy today and didn't get a chance to call him, will try to remedy that tomorrow.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a two position Wisner that Jim Kobe put on.
I have a two position Chapman that I put on with Chapman tooling.
I have a number of Dumoulin 3 position that came with an action attached.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What is your opinion of each?

To me Mauser means 3-pos, although both of my current sporters have modern Remington style safeties. One because it came that way and one because it was a cheaper package trigger/safety on a budget build.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The third position means nothing to me.
The Chapman has a lot of sharp edges compared to the Wisner.
The price difference may be $10, which would not pay much per hour for turning a Chapman into a Wisner shape.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I know it's a bit of a necro-thread revival, but ........ smile

Does anyone have any pics of the aforementioned safeties in the "safe" position?

We are having this discussion on another site. I am not happy with the position of the Dakota lever as it's very vulnerable to be moved into the "fire" position by mistake.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's because when in the middle position it is only for disassembly ot the bolt. Safety position is all the way to the back. Also the reason I don't use Genty's is due to the weak detent, it is not very positive.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
Mauser cocking piece getting shortened.

For those amateurs like me.... timing the safety means things must work together so the safety pushes back the firing pin ~0.030". If that does not work when put together, modification may be possible by altering:
1) the cocking piece
2) the trigger
3) the safety

The timing can display 3 states:
1) The safety would have to push the firing pin back too far, so it will not engage.
2) The safety pushes the firing pin back 0.030". With rifle cocked and the safety on, the trigger does nothing. When the safety is taken off, nothing happens until the trigger is pulled.
3) The safety does not push back the firing pin. With rifle cocked and the safety on, the trigger causes a small click. When the safety is taken off, the rifle fires that instant.

I have seen Mausers with the safety swing an arc with the wrong shape, so the only way to change the timing is welding material onto the safety.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 63 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.