Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#9651270 03/02/15
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

Not looking to buy anything but has anybody here bought, or know somebody that "actually" bought anything from this person? If so, what was the experience? Anyone know who this person is? Do these guns exist? Lol...

For as much as he is on auction sites, you would think that there would be more about him out there as a seller.

Take care,
RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Do you mean Wildwood in China, ME?

If so, I wouldn't consider buying anything from them unless I could hold it in my own hands and inspect it in person before reaching for my wallet. I have never bought anything from them, but saw their stuff at gun shows and visited their shop when I lived in New England. They may be the most reputable of dealers today, but back then the grading was universally high and the descriptions were vague to the point of overlooking flaws that a blind man could see.

My friend, Bearrr264, and I drove from Boston to China, Me, to look at a Winchester 54 in 250-3000 that had been advertised as being both original and minty. When we got there, the rifle was neither original or minty. It had been d&t for both side and top mounts, probably 8 extra holes. The bolt handle and safety had been modified to clear a scope and there was a recoil pad installed. The only way that it could have been minty is if somebody wiped it down with SCOPE mouthwash. When Bearrr264 pointed out that the rifle wasn't quite as advertised, he was told something like "It is in the original condition that we received it.". Disingenuous? You decide.

Caveat Emptor!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
SCOPE mouthwash, that is funny!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I live just down the road from wildwoods. they have been in business for many years. they stand by everything they sell 100%
and yes I'm sure sometimes mistakes are made. they do a large volume of their business on the internet these days like many other shops do. I've bought many rifles from them over the years and so have many of my friends and coworkers.

plab

Gotta love them 303's
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I bought a 30-30TD, 1899-SRA about 5 years ago from this seller on Guns Amer. Everything was exactly as advertised. Had it lettered by JTC and everything matched. However, I really bargained with them to get the price reduced as their prices seem to be quite a bit higher. This gun had been listed for almost a year and I guess they were willing to budge some...JMHO

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They advertised for years in the print version of gun digest. Their prices on 99's were sky high. I called once about a 99 I really wanted. They said they didn't have any room to negotiate. The price they were asking was about 50% too high. I found a comparable gun (same model and condition) for about 60-65% of what they were asking. Most of the rifles including the one I wanted had been on there for years. I am seeing many of these 99's on Gunsinternational now. I'm not sure they really want to sell their guns.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Majority of what I see them list are wrong guns listed at collector + 50% prices.

Have skipped over their listings for years, wouldn't buy from them even if it looked like a screaming deal. Don't trust them, definitely get the feeling they are looking for the fools that Barnum missed.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had never heard of them before now. They've sure got a bunch of Savages including an 1895 carbine. If their descriptions are anywhere near accurate it must be like a museum. grin
yooper

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I doubt they ever sell many guns judging from their prices.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Majority of what I see them list are wrong guns listed at collector + 50% prices.

Have skipped over their listings for years, wouldn't buy from them even if it looked like a screaming deal. Don't trust them, definitely get the feeling they are looking for the fools that Barnum missed.

I was waiting for you to weigh in. grin I knew it would be well animated. laugh

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They actually have one listed I would like to have.

But the price is way out of line, crappy pictures and nobody will return my emails. Some of those 99's have been listed for years.

They are pretty proud of them.

In buisness you can sell a lot for a little or a little for a lot. I think their philosophy is the later.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Here this group goes if I can't steal it I will not buy it but when I sell it it is the best in the world for all the money and Five dollars more!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FUG1899
Here this group goes if I can't steal it I will not buy it but when I sell it it is the best in the world for all the money and Five dollars more!!

So true

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ras
I have Dealt With Wildwood On Several Items Over the Years.
I ALways Got a Fair Deal With Them, And Nice Folks in My Opinion to Deal With, Years Ago They Were Known as DICk and CRAIG in Shot Gun News etc - This Is Going Back 15 to Plus Years Back Now.

They Have a Set Mind as to what they Want to Sell For, They or Me Or any-one Else May Not Sell for what You Want to Get.
But as I said, I have dealt with them, and pretty easy going to talk to and and bicker around on a Price.

J.M.O.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Buy low, sell high? grin

Maybe we should link to some of their rifles and see how they stand up. Truthfully I haven't looked at any of their listings in at least 5 years. First one I looked at tonight was a 250-3000 with what looks like a busted stock and gray receiver for the asking price of $1450, can't say that has changed my opinion.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/SA...6f74-DB220544-90B1-1C33-4613C6B841255AEC

Second one is a 99H (actually 1899H) in 303 with pitting on the barrel and receiver for the price of $1495. Opinion still not changed.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/SAVAGE-99H-FEATHER-WEIGHT-303-SAVAGE.cfm?gun_id=100533520

Third is another 1899H in 303 with refinished barrel for $895. Don't think I'd be interested in that one either, but it's the best so far.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/SAVAGE-1899H-FEATHER-WEIGHT-303.cfm?gun_id=100528659

A guy can't buy every rifle, so I don't see how anybody can be faulted for watching for good deals. Personally I don't care what someone else pays for a gun, none of my business. Don't fault someone for trying to get top dollar on a sale, or for letting one go low for what he has in it. I'm thrilled if they find something they wanted for a price they are happy with.

And I don't think what WE say on this forum has squat to do with market prices: gunbroker and RIAA and Julia prices dictate that in my opinion. Heck, when I go to gunshops now they search gunbroker in front of me to find values.

As to Wildwood, maybe if a guy was close enough to stop by and lay hands on the guns you could pick up some reasonable deals. I know Cabelas prices run high, but I've got some very decent guns from them because I was able to stop by every other day and watch for new arrivals. And I let some of them go to friends for less than market price... Wonder what Wildwood offers for the guns it sells? Might be a good place to sell.

Last edited by Calhoun; 03/03/15.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Doug, if you think there prices are inline for their offerings, I have a lot of rifles that I would like to sell you. Please drop me a note as I have many 99s that far exceed their listings in terms or rarity and condition and bet my prices would be extremely fair by comparison.

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You've noticed?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin None of it REALLY applies to me, cause once I own it, it normally doesn't go anywhere. When I buy a rifle I often tell the seller that and also offer to the seller that if I EVER do decide to sell it he has the option buy it back. Wildwood had two rifles at the Manchester NH show that really caught my eye. 1899 B AND 1899C. BOTH short barreled and both "looked" correct. You know me, Mr. Procrastinator. The next show they were gone, as well as several other Savages they had for sale. A fellow was toting around a very nice pre-mil F in .300. Only flaw was someone scratched "Bud" on the lever hinge. He wanted $650. I heard them offer him $500. I thought that was a fair price. It's very different dealing with someone on the internet versus face to face.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lovemy99

Doug, if you think there prices are inline for their offerings, I have a lot of rifles that I would like to sell you. Please drop me a note as I have many 99s that far exceed their listings in terms or rarity and condition and bet my prices would be extremely fair by comparison.

THrow Them Up DREW, And Let's See what Happens.
FRANKLY I Don't Understand When who, ask something for what "it may be worth to to some" one bashing others prices

I Look at it you have 2 choices Either You Can Buy it, , or Dicker with one, 2nd or walk away.

You Don't See MARLIN or WINCHESTER Guys Bashing Prices, and I see Rats as to what i think may be a rat that i would not give 50.00 dollars for sell for hundreds or thousands.

My Point Being Any-one is entitled to ask what they feel it can sell for! And either there's Some body willing to pay for it or walk away.

My other point is, Savage Prices have seem to drop, and not because of solely the Economy.DOUBT IT. But this Group has a Big Influence in the market, being right or wrong, and if you don't thinks so, check again, as to some listings, there are people now dating guns, because of this group, and some are not even members, there are some base prices from years back, because of this group. YEARs BACK BEFORE the Net, You Go to a SHOW, and EVER-one Whom was selling was comparing Prices to Dick & CRAIG "Wildwwod" as we know it today

I Often wonder as to why a man may take a rifle, clean it up make it look nice, and say he paid 300.00 for it and wants to sell it for 350.00? OH ,OH,Oh, thats a no,no he just f'd it up,
But Turn-Ball, or Griffen and Howe,etc , oh how nice,and sell for stupid money, who are they to command that kind of money and why is it o.k. not to bash that? I don;t understand and never will. J.M.2cents!

It's all about desire, If you want it, you will find a way to obtain it, whether your willing to pay for the asking, or keep dickering to come to some happy medium to the seller as well as the buyer.

I could't afford some of the rare engraved Rifles of Savage,
that have been for sale in the past for thousand and thousands as what some of them sold for 15K plus, so i deceided i wanted some badly, i took up my own work, to adore and pay homage to some of the great works Savage had. Are they Worth 15K plus, no,
But I sure If'in Turn-Ball did a RESTORATION it would sell.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
FUG, you are 100% correct.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This thread is getting funny!

The OP asked for opinions and he got both positive and negative feedback, exactly what you would expect from a diverse group of responders. It seems that guys who are geographically closer to the seller, those who can visit the shop and have the opportunity to inspect a unit before deciding to buy it, are more positive than the guys who can't personally inspect the unit. Nobody has posted a horror story about buying a unit based on a description and upon receipt found that it was far out of sync with the description provided.

It seems to me that anytime you buy a firearm via the internet, you are betting on the integrity of the seller, even if he/she has a return policy, and more and more sellers are going to an "all sales final/no returns" policy. Many people complain about eBay, say what you want, but if you buy something on eBay and have a problem with the item or with the seller, eBay's customer service will help you get a resolution.

As for me, I stand by my original comment, that I wouldn't buy from Wildwood unless I could physically inspect the item in question before making a purchase decision. Maybe it isn't fair for me to judge Wildwood based on one negative interaction, but it is the only interaction that I've had with them and it was decidedly negative.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 67 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,531
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.