-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The shroud comes off easily but can the bolt be further disassembled? There seemed to be plenty of oil underneath the shroud so I'd like to take it down as far as I can to remove as much oil as I can. Thanks.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Starts the disassemble around 2 minutes in.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The above video is why Ruger says not to disassemble it. But if you want to destroy the factory warranty and risk losing tiny parts, go for it. You can even make a redneck cheeckpice for it out of Bondo.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There actually is a GOOD video on YouTube showing the correct way to further disassemble the bolt. It was done by a company who makes replacement bolt handles showing how to change the bolt handle. It's easy once you know the technique.

My RAR bolt had way too much oil, and may have caused a failure to fire in very cold weather.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Richdeerhunter
There actually is a GOOD video on YouTube showing the correct way to further disassemble the bolt. It was done by a company who makes replacement bolt handles showing how to change the bolt handle. It's easy once you know the technique.

My RAR bolt had way too much oil, and may have caused a failure to fire in very cold weather.

This one? That makes it look much simpler for what I want to do, which is the same as you. Any idea what width the bar is?

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=S7TKNxmuT2w[/video]

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That's the correct video. I used a screwdriver blade wide enough to take up the pressure. Can't remember which one now.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That first video was painful to watch.

The better video doesn't show how to remove and replace the "tail" piece from the firing pin. What worked best for me was to use a small brass pick type tool with a flattened and forked end on it to compress the firing pin spring and spin the "tail" piece off by hand. There is a hole on the side of the bolt body that exposes the front shoulder of the firing pin. With the bolt in padded jaws in the vise, and the "tail" piece up in the shallow notches up top, use the forked brass pick inserted in through the access hole and on the front of the firing pin shoulder to compress the firing pin. This will allow you to spin the "tail" piece off and back on by hand.
If this is clear as mud to you, I can take a few pics later and they will explain it better than I can type.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 03/03/15.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.