Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've developed a sudden hankering for an 1895 Winchester rifle and I don't want (1) to sink money into an original gun; (2) to buy one with a rebounding hammer/tang safety; or, (3) buy one in .405 Winchester. That leaves me looking at the Browning/Miroku 1895's made back in the 1980s in 30-06 and 30/40 Krag. The 30-06 is the one that interests me the most, as I'm already set up to load for it.

Anybody hunting with one of these rifles? If so, how do you like it? What kind of '06 loads does it like? Anything I should look out for when buying one?

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I too have always wanted one. My late cousin who died at 37, has one and 2 1886s. One is a shorter version.

His wife has them now, and I don't think she would sell anything.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have an older Browning in 30/40 and really like it. I load down somewhat, and it is accurate! Also picked up a high grade Winchester .405, I don't like the rebounding hammer and safety, but I've gotten used to it and it's no big deal to me now.

Ken
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Had a 30/40 about 20 years ago. Great rifle. Killed deer and Javelinas with it. Like a dolt in a moment of weakness I sold it. Funny you bring this up as I picked up this one in 30/06 just this past Sunday!
[Linked Image]

Love it!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ok. As a quick sidenote. I have 8 rifles in the 30/06 ctg. my three favorites are a model 54 Winchester, an old Oberndorf Mauser sporter, and this new 95. If I had to settle on just one it would be the new 95. Call me stupid,crazy whatever. But it just feels like it's part of me. And none of the afore mentioned rifles are scoped. The two bolt guns are fitted with old Lyman #48's.

I would be hard pressed to make a shot past 150 Yards. I Would be more than satisfied if the only rifle I had was the 95.

Founder

WS

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sounds like you already figured out what you want. Personally I'd look for an original .30 Army (.30-40). You won't have much more into it than an early Browchester and have something that appreciates in value. Takes a little looking but they're out there. I got the one below from Cabelas last fall for about a grand. There was a good thread on these classics a while back including a great pic of Kaywoodie here in camp: 1895 winchesters

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
My main reason for getting the Browning is it is apt to be used and used well. I won't hesitate to take it anywhere and chances are it will get abused. Sometimes I get shy taking some of my old originals some of the places I might end up. But TMitch is right! They are out there!!!

Founder

WS

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I'VE HUNTING WITH A 95 IN 30.06 FOR ABOUT 20 YEARS, I MY OPINION IT IS THE BEST WOODS, DEER HUNTING RIFLE. IT HANDLES GREAT, POINTS PERFECTLY FOR ME. I INSTALLED A PEEP SITE ON THE BOLT KINDA LIKE A MODEL 71. BROKE MY HEART WHEN I MY EYESITE STARTED TO GO AND I HAD TO SWITCH TO SOMETHING WITH A SCOPE, A MARLIN GUIDE GUN. GET ONE, YOU'LL LIKE IT.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think that you will fall in love with one, if you can find one. I've used one regularly for about 15 years. My .30-06 hates bullets lighter than 165gr. With the loads it likes and a Marbles tang sight, it will group under 3 inches at 200yd off the bench, even with 60 year old, trifocal eyes. It has made a number of game shots well over 150 yards away. Mine is not for sale.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
What I enjoy about mine is I can still see the factory sights!!!with my nekkid eyes! I turned 59 last Thursday! As long as I can still see 'em. I'll continue to use 'em!

Founder

WS

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
What I enjoy about mine is I can still see the factory sights!!!with my nekkid eyes! I turned 59 last Thursday! As long as I can still see 'em. I'll continue to use 'em!

There is something to be said about that! I'm one year behind you and know exactly what you are talking about. I have 20/20 vision, but it doesn't start getting that way until about 20 feet... grin

I dread the day I have to hang up my M94 with peep sights, or quit shooting my Garands. Hopefully, that won't happen.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

There is something to be said about that! I'm one year behind you and know exactly what you are talking about. I have 20/20 vision, but it doesn't start getting that way until about 20 feet... grin

I dread the day I have to hang up my M94 with peep sights, or quit shooting my Garands. Hopefully, that won't happen.

I'm a bit ahead of both of you and find that while my ability to use barrel mounted irons is compromised, receiver mounted peeps are still very usable. A larger aperture is easier to use, I have a harder time using the small diameter hole in my Sharps vernier tang sight unless a high contrast target is used. I love the bolt mounted peeps on a couple of my lever guns and the "Climbing" Lyman on a couple others. The Providence Tool Pattern 21 sight would look good on your Browning, Kaywoodie.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
That's crossed my mind! About two years ago I pulled one of those Providence sights off of a kids tang safety new 95. Also put a higher blade on his tang safety carbine. But he wouldn't part with that climbin' sight. Go figure.

Suppose I'll just stick with the stock sight for now.

Founder

WS

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thanks for all the info guys. I bought one last week: a Browning 30/06 rifle made in 1984 and fitted with a Redfield receiver sight and a nice 1/2" Pachmayr pad. I'll get some pics up next week but it's got some nice figure in the wood and the metal work is very clean.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Good for you! You will not be sorry! Have fun!

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a bit ahead of both of you and find that while my ability to use barrel mounted irons is compromised, receiver mounted peeps are still very usable.

Oh, No!! Ya ain't one foot ahead of me....(grin)

My M94 Winchester has the Williams FP, which is right in front of the hammer, and the Garand sight is basically in the same place. I can also handle my AR with the "Issue" sights, though I prefer a scope on it.

It's *IF* my close-in sight deteriorates to the point that I can't use them (receiver sights) that I'll really hate. I hope that when the time comes I can't see the receiver sights, it will be when my eyes aren't going to open anyway.

All else aside, I found a long time ago that receiver sights are far superior to a barrel mounted semi-buckhorn, and it is the first mod to a new rifle if it is to be used with irons.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Yeah, have a Lyman 66 on my Model 64 Win. And a lyman #2 on an old wore out 94 I pack around. And several Redfield 70's and Lyman 48's on a wide assortment of rifles from Krag-Jorgensons to Mausers.

Love them receiver sights.

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I can't use any irons without glasses these days, and I hate wearing glasses in the woods. It is possible however, to mount a small reflex-style red dot either in place of the open rear sight, or on the receiver. Turnbull makes adapters for some rifles, but it shouldn't be too hard to make one to fit in a barrel dovetail. The sights only weigh about an ounce, so there's not a lot of inertia to deal with under recoil. I made an adapter for a TC sidelock that uses a Weaver base for a 98 and screws into the rear sight holes on the round barrel.

It ain't as pretty as the original irons, but it beats drilling holes in a nice, old, gun and definitely beats not shooting one at all.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Skinner makes a barrel mount peep sight that fits in the original rear site dovetail. Not the optimum place for a peep sight but it works a lot better than you'd expect.

I've been using Mojo peep sights on a couple of military rifles, a Yugo Mauser and a Swede 96. They replace the military issue rear sight and I'm here to tell you they flat out work. Sight in with the supplied aperture and then take it out for a larger aperture.

I still need to wear my glasses but with a longish barrel like a 95 has the front sight is still sharp enough to be able to hit accurately out as far as you can get a good sight picture. A 12" square steel at 200 yards is not that challenging with either of those old rifles and that barrel mounted peep.

I know it's not the best sighting system but it lets you keep shooting irons without having to D&T a valuable rifle and at $48 it's cheaper than a new Williams FP.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was on the Skinner site today. They make a peep that fits on the rib of a Ruger Number 1 using a screw that replaces one of the rib mounting screws. It's very neat and tidy. There are a couple of sights that use the scope dovetail, but they aren't quite as compact, having knobs and such sticking out the sides. Those are better suited as backups for a scope, I think.

I recently picked up a .45/70 Ruger and am still trying to decide how to sight it. Finding a scope with enough eye relief and a long enough tube for proper mounting is a bit of a challenge, as I don't like the looks of extension rings. A peep may be the answer if I set aside my anti-eyeglass notions.

Is the Skinner fairly easy to adjust?

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

608 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,115 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,399
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.