Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Idared Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Mark was a member here before passing away and was an avid Krag and Savage 99 collector.

Savage 99 collectors might enjoy looking at Mark's collection that is being offered for sale by Amoskeag Auction Company. You can find them HERE

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I just said to Grogel this morning that these should get some tongues wagging! Nice originals as well as some superb customs. There's a couple non-Savages that perhaps I shall take a run at. A couple of Michael Petrov's rifles re-appeared in the auction catalog also. Their auction estimates seem screwy to me on a lot of this stuff.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is odd. Serial #88x,xxx and yet a later gun???

http://www.amoskeagauction.com/105/1573.html

LOL
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The SN is misstated. I'm sure it's a B and not an 8 - or something on that order.

I know Mark lost some guns to flooding in his apartment. Glad to see his heirs will still reap the rewards of his efforts. He sure was an interesting fellow!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
got to meet Mark and see some of his custom 99 at the 1st Fest at Jeds! Gary the Auction is the weekend of Joes get togather, I can see you bidding with a bunch of the fellows beer in hand telling you to go for it! Maxing out the old Visa!

Last edited by saddlering; 02/28/15.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quite an interesting and diverse collection...

1800 pieces. Where would you keep it all?

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night for fear of losing it to theft, fire, flood, tornado, earthquake, typhoon, meteor storm, etc. etc.

grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 99guy

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night for fear of losing it to theft, fire, flood, tornado, earthquake, typhoon, meteor storm, etc. etc.

grin

A perfect illustration we can all relate to of how our possessions can own us rather than the other way around.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I Had the Oppertunity to Meet Mr Benson in Person at Jed's Fest -Wedding
He Had Quite a Group of SAVAGE's, Mostly Custom's Griffen and Howes, Engraved and Some Nice T's
And a Lot Other Stuff.
A Very Nice Man, he was a joy to speak with and meet.
He'll be Missed.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
OH NO, Gary is gonna have to spend the day down the road at the local restaurant, they have WiFi. Other wise we are incommunicado, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mark was a great gun collector and a good historical writer, I particularly liked his articles on Townsend Whelen and the 22 Hornet. His knowledge of custom Krags was probably second to none.

Before the internet was what it is today, Mark used to send a regular news letter to his gunny "friends", things that he had for sale and things that he was looking for. We did business over the course of a couple of decades and I still have some rifles and gun parts that came from Mark's West End Avenue, NYNY, address.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Be an interesting auction to go to some top end & some shooters to pick over
I like the Belgium hammer combination
38-55 / 12 g

One in the hand is better than two in the bush

Graham
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you know which day and what grouping has the 99's? Or are they scattered in all the groups?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This some collection! glad to see it's getting the attention it deserves, for his heirs.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 300Savage
Do you know which day and what grouping has the 99's? Or are they scattered in all the groups?

They're scattered throughout all the groups over both days. Note too, that not all the guns on the block are Mark's. Without counting I would say maybe 20% are his.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I spent much of yesterday going through the on-line catalog - the perfect remedy for being stuck in the cabin. I was truly fascinated by the diversity of what I saw. What struck me the most was that even though much of what he had are not pieces I would have been interested in pursuing, at the same time, I found them incredibly interesting. In addition to the Savages, the custom Krags... one in .450 Alaskan, another in .405 WCF, another one stocked like a full-stocked Kentucky rifle... I could go on and on. Each one surely a conversation piece - each piece unique and often very unique in its own way.

I enjoyed the previous auction of Petrov's rifles as well. The ones listed presently, I understand are the ones that didn't sell at the last auction.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by 300Savage

They're scattered throughout all the groups over both days. Note too, that not all the guns on the block are Mark's. Without counting I would say maybe 20% are his.

There are 95 lot's listed as coming from his collection on day 1 and 63 for day 2.

Gene
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoyed looking through that auction. Some very classic looking custom Krags!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

grin

When I saw them, they were trunk of Mark's Miata!

I usually side with Shakespeare on the subject of lawyers, but Mark was exception that proves the rule.

An armed society is a polite society.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rakkasan

grin

When I saw them, they were trunk of Mark's Miata!

I usually side with Shakespeare on the subject of lawyers, but Mark was exception that proves the rule.

Although death is a little strong, a little extreme, I agree with WS in general and would opine that many successful attorneys are good actors who can play any role that will strengthen their case. On the surface, they can smile and seem to be your friend, while just below the surface they are scheming to find an advantage. I interfaced with MB over a number of years and think that he approached his gun collecting in the same manner he would advocate in court, with passion and the goal of winning.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A beautiful and diverse selection, to be sure. It would be a fun auction to attend if for no other reason than to see the guns and listen to the bidding. A digression, if I may. Lot #261 is a stocked Colt dragoon. In shooting such a pistol with stock attached, where would the left hand go to avoid powder burns? I've wondered about it in the past but with no expert group to answer my question. Thanks.
yooper

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,209
Posts18,466,132
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.