Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Kota Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Can you fire form 358 win brass from 308 brass, or do you need to full length resize with a die?

Getting a 358 win. and need to learn to load for it.

Anybody got a good moose load?

Thanks; John Sloan "Kota"

Do not pray for an easier life, Pray to be stronger men
HR IC

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Kota
I have had NO trouble resizing 308 brass w/ a 358 FL die. One wants to lube the inside of the case neck, Imperial Sizing Die Wax is your friend!!! And then gingerly run the case over the expander ball on its way into the die. Shoot & enjoy.

Ulvejaeger

No moose load but I would think that my elk load will work as well as anything, 250 gr. Hornady RN Interlok's, 41.5gr IMR3031 and CCI 200 primers.

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just run new 308 win brass though a 358 win fl sizing die and load for 358 win. Any 225 or 250 gr bullet out of 358 should tip over a moose. Good powder would be IMR 3031 or win 748 is what I use most. Have fun and good luck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only time I've had a problem running the 308 brass through was when I was using military brass. Ends up with a false shoulder. Factory stuff, either new/unfired or 1x fired 308 runs through like a champ.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used Fed 308 brass, and had no problems at all using RCBS standard dies.

I used 225 PT's for elk, although they are Godawful expensive at ~$1.00/each.

I have finally found some 200 gr AB's, and hope to try them as soon as I find another can of Ramshot TAC.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
^^^^

I've got at least a hundred 200gr NABs for my repeater, and as many 225 NABs I'll either load for my single shot, or trade to someone that can use the length.....and some TAC I hope they love. I think expanding some 308 win/fed/rem, will be better than the 1x Hornady 358 brass, that I have. Seems soft.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Since I have dies for a 32 Spl, I often make the jump in 2 steps but have done it in one using the 358 dies with no problems. Lots of lube on the inside and good to go.

No help on the moose load as I hunt mostly deer and bear with mine.

Dale

This space for rent

K
Kota Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it. Keep it coming, I can use the info.

Thanks; John

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
If you go with 225 Nosler Partitions, keep checking Nosler Pro shop for seconds. With some patience you will be able to score some partitions half price.

The other bullet worth looking at is the 200tsx, a bit pricier than partition seconds though.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
One of my favorite rounds! As others stated, no sweat to neck up 308 brass. Good bullets for moose include 225 NP's, Speer's 220 flat point & 250 spitzer along with 250 the Hornady spire point. All should be readily available. 300 yards and even a touch over is easily doable with those loads.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Use a tapered sizing button. Buy one if you only have a standard button. Standard buttons are made to expand a neck on the way out after sizing. Tapered buttons expand on the way in and again on the way out.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

K
Kota Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by noKnees
If you go with 225 Nosler Partitions, keep checking Nosler Pro shop for seconds. With some patience you will be able to score some partitions half price.

The other bullet worth looking at is the 200tsx, a bit pricier than partition seconds though.

Do the NP seconds perform as they should with respect to grouping and expanson? What makes them seconds?

John

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
The Seconds shoot like first as far as accuracy. I have only shot deer with them so I can't say 100% that thier terminal performance is unchanged. Personally I wouldn't have an issue using them on a paid for out of state hunt. If I did have an issue then I would buy one box of firsts to use for the final zero check and the hunt.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Seems no one answered the first part of your question and the answer is yes, though I don't see much of reason for doing it that way.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
K
Kota Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by TwoTrax
One of my favorite rounds! As others stated, no sweat to neck up 308 brass. Good bullets for moose include 225 NP's, Speer's 220 flat point & 250 spitzer along with 250 the Hornady spire point. All should be readily available. 300 yards and even a touch over is easily doable with those loads.

Do the Spire points perform better out to longer ranges? I'm thinking 300 yds will be about the max for me. I'll be shooting them out of a BLR with a 20 inch barrel.

We like to see how close we can call the moose in, that is the rush for us. We usually bow hunt, and the ranges are usually a few yards to a few feet. This is our groups first rifle hunt for them. I shot one with a rifle on my own in 2001. If I'm lucky, I'll be putting powder burns on them.

John

K
Kota Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Seems no one answered the first part of your question and the answer is yes, though I don't see much of reason for doing it that way.

Thanks Steelhead. My dad has a bunch of old 308 ammo he discovered after he sold his 308, so thought I would create some cases for my new rifle with those old cartridges.

John

K
Kota Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Use a tapered sizing button. Buy one if you only have a standard button. Standard buttons are made to expand a neck on the way out after sizing. Tapered buttons expand on the way in and again on the way out.

Who makes a die set with the tapered sizing die standard, or do I have to buy the tapered one seperate? Recommend me a good set of dies.

Thanks; John

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've ran into the deaded outer doughnut while reforming brand new 308 Hornady match brass . You could close bolt on reformed brass without a bullet seated , but not with a bullet seated. Tried to " size " just the neck after refoming but just made bulet harder to seat with same result. That left outer neck turning , I said screw it and just dug till I found sme new 358 brass to buy. Never tried to fire form so I to would be intrested in other experince in such.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I never have had a problem with running military 308 brass in a 358 sizer die. The only problem I've had with sizing to a different caliber is brittle brass. If your case necks split you will likely need to anneal. I've not had to yet with military brass. My dies have tapered expanders though.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My old RCBS dies came with the the rounded expander ball and it took a lot of effort to neck up 308 brass. I called RCBS and the sent me a tapered expander at no cost. With a touch of Imperial Sizing Wax you won't even know your are expanding the neck.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
708 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.