Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like the Ruger piston gas adjustment, mine stays on 2 and ejects to 4 O clock, with 46.5 grains of Varget and a 150.

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by RMulhern

Pretty simple really! It's NOT a combat type rifle!!

So you need an optic to help you kill deer more easily?

Travis

No Travis! I oft times use a scope to ascertain or evaluate a bucks rack since I quit shooting smaller bucks 30 years ago! Using binos is sometimes time consuming!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
So you only use it to better identify your target before shooting?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by TWR

It's over gassed and needs a heavier buffer.

Thanks. Sounds like ejecting forward is over gassed, and too far rearward is under gassed, is that correct?

I've been wanting to try an adjustable gas block on that 308 anyway.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by deflave
So you only use it to better identify your target before shooting?

Travis

No!

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
So why do you use a scope?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well...my Great Uncle is Oscar Leupold and I promised him many years ago that I'd put one of his 'devices' on a rifle!

He died HAPPY!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm going to start Stamp collecting and come up with a better mouse trap for "goes bump in the night." Walking down a residential hallway with a 14.5"/16"er feels like a midget with a sword... (no offense to any sword-wielding midgets here...)

I'll report back in 1-90 days, depending on how my new friends at the ATF are feeling about Stamp licking. Until then, I plan on carrying the 16" middy like a flame-thrower smile

-John

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I held a Jack carbine in my hands today. The trigger I did not like, but better than usual, so another $230 is needed from Giessle, the float tube is very stiff compared to say a 15 inch DD LW keymod type tube, its got a light and a chrome lined barrel all for the low low price of $2395.00! I liked it for $1500 but that is as much as I liked it. The SR15 e3 mod2 is about the same money and this is better than a Colt 6940 how, the paint job, light?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm a fan of the concept, but for me they are a bridge between handgun and bolt gun. I seldom go far without one of these in the truck.

I'm fine buying quality, because I know me, and by the time I got something like I want it, It'd cost me more than just buying the gun I wanted in the first place..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guess I'm on the pedestrian side o things. Good accuracy, good trigger, quick-detach optics for most things, irons for fun.

Seriously doubt (99.999%) I'll ever need a gun for competition.

If I ever need a combat rifle, God help us all as the world has turned to schit.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I mostly hunt coyotes and shoot off sticks but I've always watched the comp guys and loved how easy they make it look.

Not being a competitive guy myself, I never thought I'd enter up but I paid attention to what they used that worked and have tried to improve my own shooting both AR and pistol. Heck I even bought a timer, once I shot with one and saw that I might be a little more competitive than I thought...

Shooting from 5 yards all the way to 800 has got to make me a better game shot, if not, it sure is fun. And that's part of how the lines blurred, trying to be more versatile. The soldiers and gamers have learned from each other, the rest of us could learn a thing or two as well.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Practice never hurts.

We shot "only" NRA High Power Service Rifle.

BUT along the way we heard this cross training mantra.... and shot some rimfire silhouette, some 3 and 4 position rimfire, some bullseye( even managed 20 leg points in 3 "service" pistol matches), as many fun mathces with the AR we could find,that were various styles, IDPA, IPSC, and even shot the match rifle version of highpower with a bolt gun some, and started doing a lot of palma type shooting with both bolt and finaly service rifle.

All I can say is it was amazing what you could learn from each sport that came back not only to Service rifle, but to hunting.

Wife or I never got to the top levels in Service rifle, but we sure did ok for what we were doing at the time.

And it transferred right into the hunting fields. SO much so that the first deer I shot after getting decent with the AR, I was so surpised, I never expected the gun to go bang when it did and so quickly, but it was a perfect shot. Eye saw it, brain said WTF lets go, boom.

And even if you suck at longer distances like I did, it sure can make a 300 yard shot on something gravy... guys at the lease used to listen to the 308 whistle to impact.... they would never shoot 300-400 yards... If thats where what I needed to shoot stopped. Boom.

And I'd have never rolled a few yotes and even deer etc... on the other side of 400 without the practice...

I was fairly well tuned up when I double dinged my caribou with a 338 Win mag years ago, 802 yards both shots. Shot seemed SO easy. My old 4H shooter I had coached was my spotter, and I was going to shoot the other side of 1000 and he insisted we get closer... we did. He was amazed at the shots. ( this next part is not arrogant at all, I think that most of you that know me, know I am opinionated and strong headed but don't take it as arrogance) But.. I would have been as amazed as he was, if I had missed either shot.

It builds confidence.

Ya know... if you knew what you know now when you were 20.... or 18....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I held a Jack carbine in my hands today. The trigger I did not like, but better than usual, so another $230 is needed from Giessle, the float tube is very stiff compared to say a 15 inch DD LW keymod type tube, its got a light and a chrome lined barrel all for the low low price of $2395.00! I liked it for $1500 but that is as much as I liked it. The SR15 e3 mod2 is about the same money and this is better than a Colt 6940 how, the paint job, light?

A LOT of that $2400 price is paying for the name. I didn't mean to suggest people buy THAT rifle in particular because I sure wouldn't, but something like that is what I'd sure build.

I'd say that a Jack-like AR would be lighter and smoother shooting than a 6940, and I'd personal prefer to not have a quad rail-but that's just me.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You were clear to me, that this setup is close to somewhat ideal across the board to use for a build or buy pattern.

Not saying buy that one etc....

FWIW

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Clear but I still had to go look at it. I did read some review that said theirs copy had ejection issues and it was a 2MOA or so gun.

Same set up with decent SS barrel/comp/fixed and shorter along with decent trigger would be cool.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ejection is tuneable, but on an expensive gun should already work... 2moa with good ammo on that cost of a gun, ridiculous. Or the reviewers can't shoot.

I've never seen a 2 moa AR

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

And it transferred right into the hunting fields. SO much so that the first deer I shot after getting decent with the AR, I was so surpised, I never expected the gun to go bang when it did and so quickly, but it was a perfect shot. Eye saw it, brain said WTF lets go, boom.

One of the real benefits of thousands of practice rounds & competitive shooting.............

Exactly the same for me.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I watched this guy milling around in some brush for several minutes, then he finally spooked and jumped across a 3' opening headed for the hills. I didn't even realize I had fired until it was all over with. I saw the opportunity and reacted before I even thought "shoot".

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Now that is one more good deer! You just get him? Damn he is nice!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 37 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.