Print Thread
Hop To
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Just picked up a new heritage RR, for a cheap knock around woods gun. going through the manual, and was reading the loading procedure. It says to leave the hammer down on an empty chamber. I totally understand that, but with the safety, and you are carrying it on, why not load all six chambers? This isn't my first single action, but the others were Rugers with transfer bars. For those of you in the know, even with the safety, 5 rds. or 6?

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 02/27/15.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If the manual says leave the hammer down on an empty chamber, then that's what I'd do regardless of what is said here. Ruger's safety is one of the few that is reliable or usable. I have no idea what the current safety is like on a Rough Rider, but I'd follow the instructions.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Seconded, Ethan.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good advice. I have had several of the Rough Riders and they are lot of bang for not a lot of buck. Follow the manufacturers instructions for the safety issues. The safety on these completely blocks the hammer which is very good. It does not act like a transfer bar in that the trigger has to be fully depressed to fire. If you happen to flip of the safety and drop it, or the hammer gets struck, it could discharge. Just be careful!

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And yet you same guys have ZERO qualms stomping around the woods with a rifle and round in chamber, safety on.

TFF

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
And yet you same guys have ZERO qualms stomping around the woods with a rifle and round in chamber, safety on.

TFF
I don't think you've ever heard my thoughts on that issue.

It's an entirely different issue than a rifle. With a single action pistol, you're just handicapping yourself one round-generally five instead of six. This just decreases firepower and does nothing to decrease the time for the initial shot. With a rifle such as you're describing, the difference is significant, since you're having to chamber a round and take the safety off or at least chamber a round before pulling the trigger. You're just pulling the trigger on the single action.

Ruger's safety system is old, well-known and proven. Original Colt SAA's also had/have a safety system. It is proven too, to not be reliable. What I'm saying about the Heritage system is: I don't know enough about it that I would trust it. I have to be very well versed in a single action's safety system to trust it.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Interestingly, Freedom Arms specifies the same on their M97 that is fully protected by a hammer block. The now legendary M83 lawsuit made them a bit nervous I suppose.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have never had an accidental discharge and you handle guns long enough, you will.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Load one, skip one, load 4. Pull the hammer back and lower it on an empty chamber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think that if it were my gun I would load it thusly:

In its box, into the trunk of the car, pointed towards the next gun show with some "boot" money to ad to this gun and find someone I could give this Haritage junk gun and some of my cash in hand and come home with a Ruger, Colt, or one of the Colt SAA clones from many good makers now. Cimmaron, USSA, The italians such as Uberti and others and have a gun worth toying with and shooting for a very long time. Each of thos guns outclass the rough rider in spades when it comes to fit, finish, color case hardening, metalurgy, timing.... everything.

Last edited by safariman; 03/03/15.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Ahh safariman, it ain't yer gun....... I bought it for a cheap knock around woods gun, and didn't want to spend the money for the better pieces. Back to you guys who gave me answers to my question, thanks. probably play with it both ways and then just load 5.....

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 03/04/15.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by safariman
I think that if it were my gun I would load it thusly:

In its box, into the trunk of the car, pointed towards the next gun show with some "boot" money to ad to this gun and find someone I could give this Haritage junk gun and some of my cash in hand and come home with a Ruger, Colt, or one of the Colt SAA clones from many good makers now. Cimmaron, USSA, The italians such as Uberti and others and have a gun worth toying with and shooting for a very long time. Each of thos guns outclass the rough rider in spades when it comes to fit, finish, color case hardening, metalurgy, timing.... everything.
A guy who advocates Kel Tec's knocking somebody else's choice in weaponry? That's rich.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead

TFF

actually i have always had qualms. meaning i rarely use the safety prefering to leave a round OUT of the chamber. Doesn't take long to put one in a chamber.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by maddog
Ahh safariman, it ain't yer gun....... I bought it for a cheap knock around woods gun, and didn't want to spend the money for the better pieces. Back to you guys who gave me answers to my question, thanks. probably play with it both ways and then just load 5.....

maddog

Good point, and good luck with your gun. There is a use and a purpose for guns at nearly every price point. The frame mounted safety is a deal breaker for me on a revolver of any kind, or the Marlin and Winchester lever actions for that matter, but that is just my personal preference.

Back to the topic and query about which you posted, that small safety l see on these does not look very robust to me. I don't think I would trust it. Safety in the 'fire' position and hammer down on an empty chamber would likely be how I would fly this one. And I would darned sure rather have a Rough Rider 44 Mag on my hip than no gun at all.

My worry would be that the safety would get bumped or slip to the "ON" position and disable the firearm in a needed moment, but perhaps that safety can be pinned or otherwise made to stay out of the way, then carry 5 like any other single action revolver.

When I first joined this forum, I traded VAnimrod out of a Rossi/Puma model 92 clone in 454 Casull that had a similar looking safety sticking out of the top of the bolt. I had a gunsmith remove it and fill in the hole then polish the area. One had to look hard to tell that an extra safety was ever there, and I simply carried it as I would any model 92 or clone thereof. Just an idea there for you.

Last edited by safariman; 03/04/15.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (163dm, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 65 invisible), 3,033 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.