Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It isn't all about numbers of course....mostly it's about having some basis of comparison of what might be attainable in a given area to gauge overall size that we can expect to find in an area we want to hunt.

Saying that an area can produce mule deer in the "180 class" tells us a lot more than simply saying "it produces big 4x4's" since the definition of "big" is highly subjective among different folks and areas,as we know.

Pat's right and it isn't only about antler size.On occasion I have shot big bodied ,old bucks with head gear that was "mediocre" compared to what the area can produce because I knew they were "old".

Conversely I have passed up mule deer bucks that grossed over 180 because I knew looking at them, that they were young,destined to be giants if they lived long enough.One spread 32". I know the details of measurement because someone else killed them after I let them walk.

But we talk about scores so that we have a common language of communication...and as a general rule, it takes an older deer to grow that kind of headgear....but not always. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Great input. I have a wonderful antelope and whitetail on the wall, so I'd like to find a mule deer next. Currently a little burned out on trying for an elk.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I let this enormous old monarch walk.......I'm a stupidasss

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of my favorite mule deer bucks is a 3x3 that barely spread 20", taken on BLM in Colorado back in 1998, that wouldn't even score 160. But he was REALLY old, and the antlers are heavy and tall, with lots of interesting "beading" and some twisting in the tines. He was taken after a couple of days of figuring out where other hunters didn't go. The date was November 3 so the rut was barely starting, and his meat was very good. (Have found that to be true of many big mule deer bucks, some even during the rut.)

Five days later in Montana I killed my biggest-ever whitetail. It was a pretty good fall!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Yeah, that would net you a kick in the jimmy if we were hunting together. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

JG: LOL! I hate to do it but I guess i would have to agree! smile

Big old bucks are definitely the coolest and like John says their venison is very good!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

That's a locomotive with antlers... Wow... What a buck!

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd probably let him walk too, my first priority when hunting is meat. a buck or doe that old has a higher chance of not tasting the greatest or being too tough.

of course it all depends on the circumstances, if it's the only deer I'd seen all season, bang.

I prefer WT to mulies for table fare so I rarely shoot a mulie anyway. different strokes for different folks.

I also could care less about what my hunting partners shoot, it's their tag. but that's just me.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Mature, older bucks are what does it for me. High scoring bucks are a bonus, but age to me is the most important element….

This. [Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
It isn't all about numbers of course....mostly it's about having some basis of comparison of what might be attainable in a given area to gauge overall size that we can expect to find in an area we want to hunt.

Saying that an area can produce mule deer in the "180 class" tells us a lot more than simply saying "it produces big 4x4's" since the definition of "big" is highly subjective among different folks and areas,as we know.

Pat's right and it isn't only about antler size.On occasion I have shot big bodied ,old bucks with head gear that was "mediocre" compared to what the area can produce because I knew they were "old".

Conversely I have passed up mule deer bucks that grossed over 180 because I knew looking at them, that they were young,destined to be giants if they lived long enough.One spread 32". I know the details of measurement because someone else killed them after I let them walk.

But we talk about scores so that we have a common language of communication...and as a general rule, it takes an older deer to grow that kind of headgear....but not always. smile

I have not put a tape to any of my biggest bucks. I can guess the average just looking at em but its a guess and it really doesn't matter to me. They were what I was after at the time.

The hardest deer to kill for me was years ago, with a bow and it took weeks to figure it all out and make the kill. ZERO inches of antler. She is mounted.

The biggest bucks antler wise I've killed have been totally anti climactic for me. They showed up and I shot em. Really quite boring.

Thats why inches mean nothing. The hunt is typically more important than whats harvested though we love the meat, but size of antlers, while I"m like most, I'll likely not pass a big one up unless its not bigger than the last.. I just am not in it for inches.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds a lot like me, I hunted one buck in particular this year and never got a shot, I ended up filling my tag on a 2.5 yo dry doe, she was perfect for the table.
I have one doe I have tried to get the last 3 years, never had her in range, I call her Doris and she is very smart.
dumblucking into a huge buck isn't satisfying, same as paying lots of money to go somewhere and have a guide point one out to me. but that's just me.
preseason scouting, picking an animal/animals and hunting it/them is very satisfying.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Size standards are relative to where you are.

the problem is when guys come from other states and bring their "local standards" with them.

I totally understand your point here and don't disagree. When I was out your way I bout [bleep] my shorts with all the bucks I saw, and passed up legal bucks for the first time in my life. Having grown up hunting the public lands of Michigan that was a brand new experience.

As you know I shot a doe, but would have shot anything bigger than my biggest buck taken here which by your standards would have been pretty piss-poor. The doe happen to be fatter so she got the bullet.

Thing is I paid full price for an any whitetail tag. Another guy may have opted to shoot one of the smaller bucks I let walk, and having paid the premium I'd not have blamed him even though I'd prefer seeing only mature bucks taken.

I'll be back before long and this time (most likely) by myself and hunting a lot harder than I could w/ an 11 yo in tow. Then it'll I'll be working by YOUR standards smile !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm hopefully going to be hunting with Ryan this fall! But I'll be going by my standards. laugh

I LOVE big bucks. But if I don't get one I'm OK with that too. I'm all about the hunt and what makes my socks go up and down at the time.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I like that part of the quote. At the time.

Some days something will float my boat and will get it. OTher days I"ve let ones bigger than I've shot walk for whatever reason.

Still wish I could shoot a big one opening day once and then duck hunt the rest of the year.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Since I'm from the Mo side of the Ia/Mo border, a 150 whitetail isn't anything unusual, actually it is our minimum for a shooter. I would say that a 170-180 mulie is in the same class, but seems to be harder to find for me. Of course all of my hunting at home is on well-managed private land, all my mule deer hunting has been on public land. It makes a difference.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
I'm hopefully going to be hunting with Ryan this fall! But I'll be going by my standards. laugh

I LOVE big bucks. But if I don't get one I'm OK with that too. I'm all about the hunt and what makes my socks go up and down at the time.

you can shoot whatever you want, my recommendation is to see what's out there before you drop the first 4x4 that walks by wink

could you pass this deer up?
[Linked Image]

FYI, he's still alive wink or at least was a month ago. I'm excited to see what he looks like this fall.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Originally Posted by tzone

you can shoot whatever you want, my recommendation is to see what's out there before you drop the first 4x4 that walks by wink

could you pass this deer up?
[Linked Image]

FYI, he's still alive wink or at least was a month ago. I'm excited to see what he looks like this fall.

Young deer right there....let him walk next year too..

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Agreed.

Edited: I guess i should qualify my answer a bit. blush

It depends where I am. Here in New England in heavy cover I'd likely end up killing him....things tend to break fast here with little time or opportunity for sizing an animal up in the heavy cover,and I'd probably shoot based on rack alone.

But in (say) eastern Colorado or Alberta,I'd probably let him walk,maybe having a bit more time in more open country or under other circumstances where I had a better chance to look him over.Aside from the fact that I would not want to travel to places like that with far better trophy potential, to end up killing a young buck that I did not go there to find.

Besides the fact that the difference between that buck,and a REALLY big one from Colorado or Alberta(or Manitoba or Saskatchewan), is going to be very apparent.I've found that if you have to look at them very long to decide if you want to shoot or not, they are almost never as big as you think.

A really big buck has that "POP", that "WOW!" factor.

Last edited by BobinNH; 03/03/15.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
never happen. this was taken on pubic land that gets a decent amount of pressure.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 53 invisible), 2,951 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.