Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Brad,
<br>
<br>My current 338Ultra is on a Sako L61R action,wears a 26" long #4contour barrel and is in a heavy filled Sako Hunter stock by McMillan with a Decelerator. Up top is a Leupie 3.5-10x. I purposely built the rifle heavy,to negate recoil. It is a beautiful blueprint,served my initial purposes well and has me doting on the chambering due to that rifle's excellence.
<br>
<br>However,I'm thinkin' about another on a S/S SUCKS,dropping at least one contour and bobbing it to 25". It will go in a "regular" filled Remington Classic pattern by McMillan and wear a 6x42mm in DD's. I figure that will shave nearly 2lbs total weight.
<br>
<br>My intent for the second 338Ultra,isn't for high volume Varminting(grin). It is would be a strictly "Meat and Taters" Business Rifle,of the highest order. No frills,no fanfare and I doubt a whole helluva' lot of fun at the bench(grin).
<br>
<br>I abhor brakes and gangly gizmos,dangling from my rifles. I WON'T do it. So if it comes to my trading a bloody nose,for a well placed poke of Mucho MOJO and Oooomph,I'll happily ante up that asking price(it's been proved). In reality,I expect it to be very "do-able". My lightest 375H&H Ackley goes sub 8lbs all up and is not that unpleasant to bang around with,even while employing Full Throttle 270's(it's regular diet).
<br>
<br>I expect the lighter weight Ultra will recoil faster,but won't be much "harder",if that makes sense.?. My light Six-Bits is perfectly balanced and I sorta roll with it and she is FAR from abusive and I'm just a lil' feller! Hell,even guys from Montana can make due with it(grin).
<br>
<br>Balance and stock fit/design are critical factors,as you well know. A scope of MORE than "adequate" eye-relief is also a very major component in the friendliness category,in my humble opinion. The Remington Classic stock pattern by McMillan and the Leupie 6x42mm,are my bread and butter. I'm heap big familiar with both. In harmony,they suit me best,for dealing with substantial recoil levels.
<br>
<br>So undoubtedly,a lightish 338Ultra is a very potent beast,on both ends. I'll grant that. But I am thinking,that with my shooting numerous Factory 700's so chambered,my Hybrid HAMMER will not be any more abusive,in a diret comparison. Plus it should grant an even higher level of average accuracy expectation,will be tailored to fit me ergonomically and boast the best stock on the planet.
<br>
<br>I'd HATE to be somethin caught betwixt that 6x42's crosswires! Damn!!..I think I just talked myself into a new rifle!(grin).............
<br>
<br>

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
2nd,
<br>
<br>Would the 300WM ADL action also work If I tried to build a .375 H&H?
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. 2nd and Mr. Stick,
<br>
<br>You may very soon be getting many questions on how a man goes about building a good quality rifle. So perhaps now I'll apologize for the plethora of stupid questions coming your way in the future.
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In my opinion,the FIRST rule of building a GREAT rifle,is to KNOW what you want.
<br>
<br>Without doubt,my tastes/quirks,suit me best. I'd assume you to know that,which suits you best.
<br>
<br>Translation? There are few rules,governing the building of a splendid rifle. Though it will most certainly hedge your bet,if you have a good idea regarding what feels best to you,in the area of stock design. From there,you have much latitude.
<br>
<br>After you have an idea of which sort of stock design you prefer,you can start to visualize balance/overall weight. There is much leeway in those avenues.
<br>
<br>My advice is to grab hold of as many rifles as possible and to weigh all those attributes,you deem as pleasing. The trick is to add as many attributes as possible,without going crazy in overall weight(my opinion,all).
<br>
<br>The MOST bang for the buck,comes from research and the crafting of a good plan. Pay close attention,to those things that weigh heavily upon YOU and chase your dreams from there.
<br>
<br>Good shoppin'............
<br>

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Stick, Why dont you just go a little bigger and get a
<br>375 RUM? I'm seeing how people compare the 338 WM and
<br>375 H&H and how the 375 is better. Seems the same
<br>logic would apply.
<br>

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Avagadro,
<br>
<br>With an ADL in 300 Win or 7mm Rem mag, the conversion to a 338 Win mag, 340 Wby, or 375 H&H is extremely easy. Conversion to the 338 RUM is a little more difficult, as work to the feed fails and possibly follower will need to be accomplished.
<br>
<br>Please do me a favor. Actually shoot one of these things before you build a 338 RUM. With the 338 Win mag and the 375 H&H, go ahead--they recoil easy enough to not be a problem (unless you build a super-light rifle). The 338 RUM is a different animal.
<br>
<br>I am currently stationed at Randolph AFB, and live at the NE corner of San Antonio. If you can get down here, I'll let you shoot my rifles, which include a 338 RUM and a 416 Rem Mag. I'm not sure how long the drive is, my guess is around 4 hours. I'd even put you up overnight. I'll be on an elk hunt from 16 Oct to 1 Nov, but after that we could probably hook up. My e-mail: [email protected]
<br>
<br>Blaine

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spike,
<br>
<br>If it were only a black bear I'd be just as happy with my 30-06..........
<br>
<br>The hypothetic situation was being 30 yds away from a 1200 lb Alaskan Brown bear.
<br>
<br>Blaine

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stick, good post... thanks. There was a guy at Saeed's whom I took to task as he maintained a 338 WM was no different recoil-wise than a 338 RUM... Lord. Some newbie who may be thinking of moving up from a 243 might read such rubbish and actually buy one! With your passion and experience you could almost "convert" me to a 338 RUM except I know I wouldn't handle the recoil well in an 8lb rifle... your light 375 Ackley... now that's intriguing. Actually, my next project will probably be a SS M70 with a Douglas #3 in 375 H&H, stocked in a High-Tech and scoped with a 1x4 Leo... should come in at 8 lbs "all-up."
<br>
<br>Hope you have a good season... antelope opens here Sunday, can't wait.
<br>
<br>Brad

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 375RUM has appealed to me,since it's inception. Prior to that,I dreamt of such a cartridge(as I had nothing but GREAT experiences with my 378Wby).
<br>
<br>But the beauty of the 338Ultra in my opinion,is it's ability to bring EVERYTHING to the court. It has ample projectile diameter,coupled with ample weight/SD/BC and delivers the above at very impressive velocities.
<br>
<br>In your comparison,the 375H&H is a bigger cartridge(more capacity). The 338Win is a shortened H&H offering. The 340Wby is a more realistic comparison,as it utilizies brass of very nearly the same length and couples it with a free-bored throat. That keeps it's Ooomph on an even keel,in my opinion.
<br>
<br>The Ultra brings even more to the table,as it offers even more capacity and does so in "standard" throating geometry. Plus it is sans a belt(another plus,in my opinion).
<br>
<br>Soooooo,when weighing the 338Ultra vs. the 375Ultra,I believe I will take the reduced diameter,at a much inflated velocity,as a more versatile all around chambering................
<br>
<br>

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the .375 was "better" than the .338, then I would assume that most hunters in Alaska would have .375's. In Alaska, the .338WM outnumbers the .375 H&H by a wide margin, but it does not mean that the .338 is "better." Both a great cartridges, and whichever of the two one is most proficient with should be the best one.
<br>
<br>The reason why the .338WM is so popular is because most hunters are not hunting bears alone, but instead moose, bears sometimes, caribou, deer, and other Alaska game. The .338 has become much of an "all around" cartridge.
<br>
<br>Also, .33 bullets can keep their own against those for the .375, except that while .33 bullets stop at 300 grains, heavier ones for the .375 are available. The .375 with its greater powder capacity does its best with 300 grain bullets and up, while the .338WM does its best up to 300-grain bullets.
<br>
<br>About shot placement: I remember reading a story from a couple of hunters that shot a brown bear several times with a .338WM and a .375 H&H, then had to track the bear after it ran. They finally killed the bear as it charged them, but it took a couple of fast shots with both rifles. There was no problem with either rifle, just that the hunters may not have hit the right spot until the end.
<br>
<br>Then in the late '60's there was a guy from Anchorage who killed three grizzly bears with five shots from his .338WM. He stepped too close to four grizzlies feeding on a moose carcass and they charged. One of the bears ran, and he killed two of the bears with two shots, and shot one on the shoulder to turn it. This one he killed at point blank with a shot through the head after reloading his rifle. I bet this guy would have done the same with any other rifle of equal power, but the main difference in the outcome was the way he reacted during the charge, and his proficiency with that rifle.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Blaine,
<br>
<br>Thanks for the offer. I will take you up on it sometime in November whenever it would be easiest on you.
<br>
<br>Good Luck with the elk hunt.
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Avagadro,
<br>
<br>Listen to what Stick tells you, he knows the Rem 700. I personally have a .300 RUM and a .375 RUM. I haven't breached the gap yet with a .338 RUM, but hopefully it will be coming in the near future.
<br>
<br>As for the .375 RUM, I LOVE IT. I have taken a bull elk and a bull oryx with mine, and the performance has been stellar. The recoil (mine is the LSS) is very high, and I find myself bleefing from my right index finger everytime that I shoot it. (The bottom of the bolt handle scrapes the skin off).
<br>
<br>As far as being practical, the .338 RUM is far more so. But, who says that we have to be practical as rifle fanatics?
<br>
<br>2nd

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Avagadro,
<br>
<br>Send me aen e-mail around 1 Nov, and we'll see if we can't find a time....
<br>
<br>Blaine

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gentlemen,
<br>
<br>When looking for a donor rifle for building a .338 WM or .340 WBY, which actions should i be looking at?
<br>
<br>From what I know so far, either the .300 WM or .7mm RM both will work. Is there any other chamberins that I can be looking for?
<br>
<br>Thanx
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Regarding a 700 donor action,any long action belted magnum chambering(.532" boltface),will work without modifications. That means 264Win,7mmRemmag,300Winny,etc.
<br>
<br>If a Sako extractor on the 700 appeals to you,than any standard long action chambering will suffice(.473" boltface). That means 25-06,270,280,30-06,etc.
<br>
<br>Lots of donor choices available to you,in either route...............

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Stick,
<br>
<br>How does one get a 700 with a Sako extractor? Have it installed or is it a whole new bolt assembly? Is one type (.532 vs. .473) inherently stronger than the other?
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
761 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 88 invisible), 2,977 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,075
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.