Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dont hunt bears and I have no problem with anyone who does, I could care less what the green party says or any other political party says, its not a political issue and I really dont understand what the problem is.
Take the meat if you shoot a grizzly, lol, its not a skunk or a mouse.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Of those 3, which have you eaten, and if not, why not?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I taught my son many things which he ignored, the one that seems to have stuck best is don't kill something unless you are going to eat it.

The darn guy wouldn't kill ground squirrels until they stripped a fruit tree in a single day, and he feels like rattlesnakes should be relocated or put on the BBQ. He doesn't like venison so wouldn't hunt deer until his kids told him they liked it.

I've never eaten grizzly but eating what you kill is basic hunting ethics. Coyotes, bobcats and ground squirrels that I've shot don't get eaten but I wish they were as tasty as quail so we wouldn't be wasting the meat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by specneeds
I taught my son many things which he ignored, the one that seems to have stuck best is don't kill something unless you are going to eat it.

The darn guy wouldn't kill ground squirrels until they stripped a fruit tree in a single day, and he feels like rattlesnakes should be relocated or put on the BBQ. He doesn't like venison so wouldn't hunt deer until his kids told him they liked it.

I've never eaten grizzly but eating what you kill is basic hunting ethics. Coyotes, bobcats and ground squirrels that I've shot don't get eaten but I wish they were as tasty as quail so we wouldn't be wasting the meat.

so you don't practice what you preach either?

personally I don't care for bear meat. shot one old bruin in my life, likely won't shoot another. meat tasted like crap and the trophy thing isn't my bag.
however I realize there are those who do like trophy hunting. I choose not to participate.

it's called freedom, we used to have a lot more of it.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Of those 3, which have you eaten, and if not, why not?

None... The reason is I have never killed a grizzly nor skunk, I have killed a mouse and didn't feel bad about it.
Considering that it takes years for a resident hunter to get drawn for a grizzly, common sense would suggest that its not a common experience to kill a grizzly unless you were a guide/outfitter, this is the only hunting community that would be ruffled about the potential new law.
If it makes you feel better,,,, I will take you on a guided hunt for mouse, if/when you get one we can leave the meat for the birds, it will be a tough hunt as were not allowed to bait here.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
common sense would suggest that its not a common experience to kill a grizzly unless you were a guide/outfitter,

On that note, I'm out of here. eek

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have always felt it would be a good idea to take the CO to the carcass, have him point out the edible portions, then give it to him. I'll pack it out but he can eat it.
In all seriousness, I think a mountain grizzly would be pretty good eating. However, trichinosis is always a concern, especially in a mountain bear, so treat it accordingly. I know a lot of people who prefer grizzly to black bear for which the same cautions apply. Likewise, if you eat marmot, cook it well and avoid eating the entrails (most will have no problem following these instructions). GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always wondered why I never read of getting grizzly meat out and have been disturbed by the waste. Really dont like any hunting for the sole purpose of a trophy to brag about. It cheapens the whole deal. However I dont like baiting, tree stands... but as long as you do not break the law or harm someone, it is not my business. Heck I am in a different country and will probably never hunt your bear. None of this is my business. grin

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
...its not a political issue and I really dont understand what the problem is...

Think again!

Just leave it the way it is. If the meat looks good take it out, if not leave it. IT should be your call not the rat politicians and tree huggers.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Should Canibalism be grounds for leniency in murder, as it is less wasteful?"

A question of compelling logic. Let's hope these legislators do not read "Calvin and Hobbes".

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by 673
...its not a political issue and I really dont understand what the problem is...

Think again!

Jordan smith
Too quote a few words out of context does not make for a dialogue.
It is not an election year, the green party has 1 seat...if the NDP get elected then you can forget ALL grizzly hunting because they have already promised that.
This is quite simple...hunters are not in agreement with taking only the hide from such a animal, they are concerned with how that is perceived by the general public, and are distancing themselves from the (trophy hunting perception) and they are guided by their own moral culture.
As I said earlier the only hunters who are in a static over this proposed law are the guiding community, and thats why I dont understand what the big deal is.

Last edited by 673; 03/07/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by 673

Think again!

Jordan smith
Too quote a few words out of context does not make for a dialogue.
It is not an election year, the green party has 1 seat...if the NDP get elected then you can forget ALL grizzly hunting because they have already promised that.
This is quite simple...hunters are not in agreement with taking only the hide from such a animal, they are concerned with how that is perceived by the general public, and are distancing themselves from the (trophy hunting perception) and they are guided by their own moral culture.
As I said earlier the only hunters who are in a static over this proposed law are the guiding community, and thats why I dont understand what the big deal is.

That's exactly my point! Grizzly hunting very much IS a political issue. Keep in mind that an elephant is eaten one little bite at a time. I'm vehemently opposed to this law, and I'm not currently a guide or outfitter. I'm opposed for one reason- I don't want to see the "elephant" of hunting end up being nothing more than a pile of bones picked clean by the vultures in a couple of decades! I have no personal opportunity to hunt grizzly in BC, but I DO have the opportunity to stand up for maintaining our freedoms, and the integrity of personal choice in our country, and judgement-based decisions when out in the field. These are things that the NDP, Green Party, and many others that are opposed to hunting would take from us in a heart beat, if possible, and they are trying to do so one little bite at a time.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I understand your point...What do you say when resident hunters also want the meat packed out?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
They are free to do so if they wish. But if they shoot one, find that the meat is totally inedible, they should have the freedom to make that judgement call and leave the meat for other wild animals to eat.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How would a hunter know if the meat was inedible?
I have shot rutting mule deer that were unedible, I'll gladly have you over here to bc and I'll make you a mule deer steak on the barbi and if you can eat it all then your a better man than me, I'll buy the beer.
I have hunted grizzly before, my buddies hunt and kill them too, and at least they take some of the meat, backstraps etc

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Keep in mind that an elephant is eaten one little bite at a time..... These are things that the NDP, Green Party, and many others that are opposed to hunting would take from us in a heart beat, if possible, and they are trying to do so one little bite at a time.

Exactly.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This may have been mentioned but I saw a show on the food network where at least one Russian Chalet Type restaurant they were featuring served brown bear burgers...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems like a lot of judgment in this here thread by some who probably never spent time in brown bear country or have seen what a high bear population will do to moose calves.

Last browny I shot, I was determined to be "ethical" and salvage meat with the hide and skull. First cut I made nicked the gut and a ball of tapeworms the size of a softball came rolling out at my feet. That carcass fed the birds and scavengers. Curious how many of you guys would take that meat home and feed it to you families? Or your dogs? I did save at least a couple moose calves so I could more likely put some moose meat in my freezer the next year.

Last edited by Pittu; 03/07/15.

Eat moose, burn spruce
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
This may have been mentioned but I saw a show on the food network where at least one Russian Chalet Type restaurant they were featuring served brown bear burgers...

That explains why they're always pounding down the shots of vodka......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 34 invisible), 2,815 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,631
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.