Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Trophy hunters who leave their grizzly bear kill to rot would no longer be on the right side of the law if a new bill proposed by the Green Party is approved by the B.C. legislature.

B.C. MLA Andrew Weaver said the action aims to "kill" the trophy hunting of grizzlies in the province.

“If this bill were to pass, it puts an end to [the] trophy killing of grizzly bears,” Weaver told the Vancouver Observer.

The sole Green Party representative in the legislature of 85 MLAs says the law would alter the Wildlife Act, such that licensed hunters who shoot grizzlies must now take home the "edible" meat.

He announced his proposal to a large crowd of more than one hundred hunters and citizens on the Victoria legislature lawn Monday morning before introducing it into the legislature.

Weaver said trophy hunters who merely cut off grizzly heads and paws would no longer be welcome in B.C.

He added that his bill is a “compromise" that satisfies both responsible hunters, as well as urban environmentalists and conservationists. He cited a 2013 telephone survey research by Coastal First Nations.

“Ninety-five per cent of hunters believe you shouldn’t kill, unless you eat what you kill. And the overwhelming — 87 per cent — of British Columbians don’t want trophy killing."

“It’s viewed as wasteful,” he added.

http://www.vancouverobserver.com/news/proposed-law-aims-kill-trophy-hunting-bc-green-mla

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

BP-B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
While some might be edible, if those greenies smelled some of those bears, even they might change their tune!

Maybe we should roll some of them in rotting salmon and turn them loose on Kodiak or the Peninsula!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I have no desire to eat or shoot a grizzly, I have no problem with anyone who does shoot a grizzly.
Its only making the entire hunting community look like trophy hunters to uneducated seed eating, anti-hunting buffoons who have a hate on for all hunters.
Take the meat and give it to the dog or someone else's dog.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Wouldn't leaving it in the woods accomplish the same thing. Feed a less fortunate animal. Perhaps a fox, a bird ect.

MOLON LABE

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Wouldn't leaving it in the woods accomplish the same thing. Feed a less fortunate animal. Perhaps a fox, a bird ect.

No.....

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Fox and birds don't eat bear meat?

Won't bear meat make your dogs wormy?

Have you talked to your neighbors about feeding your bear to their dogs?

Should the hunter buy another freezer for this bear meat they'll be packing down the mountain to give to the dogs?

Should each hunter be followed to the kill site to make sure no meat is wasted?

You seem to have thought this through, and I would like to hear from someone with experience. Especially Canadians.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

As my 5-year-old son inspected the eyes, lips, and nose of this freshly-killed bear, he inquired as to whether we would be keeping the meat. I lifted a paw near his face so he could whiff the odor of dead walrus that miles of moist tundra had failed to erase.

I went back to the kill site less than two weeks later to retrieve the shoulder blade which had been neatly drilled by the 45 caliber slug. There were only a couple of minor rib bone fragments and a raven feather or two to indicate any animal had ever been there…no stain in the tundra, nothing.

But my boys enjoy brown bear; we're just somewhat choosy about what we salvage. Nothing wrong with a berry-eating bear. Salmon or beach-kill bears are another matter.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 03/03/15.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I wonder if it wouldn't be good to look for all animals that have died (from any causes) and take the meat and give it to the dog or someone else's dog.

673 says leaving carcasses in the woods won't accomplish anything.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like another recipe for bear issues.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Fox and birds don't eat bear meat?

Won't bear meat make your dogs wormy?

Have you talked to your neighbors about feeding your bear to their dogs?

Should the hunter buy another freezer for this bear meat they'll be packing down the mountain to give to the dogs?

Should each hunter be followed to the kill site to make sure no meat is wasted?

You seem to have thought this through, and I would like to hear from someone with experience. Especially Canadians.

Yes wild animals eat bear meat....

If bear meat or any other meat gives your dogs worms then cook it for them, but I doubt it does....

I haven't talked to my neighbors about feeding bear meat to their dogs because I would be feeding it to my own dogs.....

Yes the hunter may have to buy another freezer, why not I do if I have an excess of meat....

Why follow the hunter to the kill site? If I shoot any other animal there are laws already in place so you have to take the meat. Many/most grizzlies are shot in the company of guide/outfitters.....There are fines and a moral obligation to take the meat of all game animals already, why not simply add a grizzly bear.

With your infantile response you seem to miss the point.
Its about shooting something as large as a grizzly bear and leaving the meat, which is in many peoples view, (hunters and yes fellow Canadians) wrong....
I hunt and your point of view is what we would call the (trophy hunter) mentality, and it is what BC resident hunters would like to get rid of as it makes us also look bad.

hey, dont eat it? dont shoot it, or at least take it off the mountain and utilize it in some way.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Starving a dog in order to make it hungry enough to eat bear meat doesn't really fall in line with good animal care IMO.

Sometimes it's edible, sometimes it's not. I would no more expect that a grizzly be eaten - though it can be possible- than I'd expect fox or wolverine carcasses be salvaged for edible meat. It makes a lot more sense to require the salvage of prairie dogs and ground squirrels for human consumption than any of the above anyway.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It seems certain canadians could eat skunk if required of them.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Will they have to start eating mice too?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 673
.....your point of view is what we would call the (trophy hunter) mentality, and it is what BC resident hunters would like to get rid of as it makes us also look bad.

I have no bear in this hunt, but it seems to me that you're doing a disservice to BC hunters by speaking for them as if you know their wishes.

What I don't understand is, if the meat is nauseating, how can it be considered "edible" in the fist place?

I'm all for enforcing laws on recovering the meat of animals that most people would eat, because wasting something that others would use is wrong. But if most people wouldn't eat it, that all goes out the window.

There are plenty of examples of animals that are hunted without the meat being consumed.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They can't force you to eat it. If this law is passed, then simply salvage the meat from the field and toss it in the dumpster once home.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bearstalker
They can't force you to eat it. If this law is passed, then simply salvage the meat from the field and toss it in the dumpster once home.

The stink would probably bring in a bear wink

MOLON LABE

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bearstalker

Exactly....
Also, some grizzlies might be pretty good eating as some people report, some are not suitable for even dogs.
If you want to leave the meat in the USA then its none of my business, but if you want to leave the meat in the bush then MOST hunters here in BC dont support you.
If you are required to take the meat then the outfitter will know whom to give it too.
Natives here dont support leaving the meat... and skunk has been eaten by trappers and their dogs/cats and nothing go's to waste, nor should it.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no bear in this hunt, but it seems to me that you're doing a disservice to BC hunters by speaking for them as if you know their wishes

Smokepole

Other hunters from BC are welcome to post here their point of view, its already been common knowledge here for along time what the resident hunters point of view is.
Its not just the non-hunting community, its the hunting community at large.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I hunt in the US but I don't pretend to speak for US hunters at large. If BC hunters feel as you say, why isn't it the law already. And why was it proposed by the green party and not BC hunters.

Last edited by smokepole; 03/04/15.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
What Smokepole says smile Green Party is just trying to end the Grizz hunt. This is one step down the path they are trying to blaze. I'm a BC hunter and have no problem with the leaving of bear meat. I also don't hunt bear FYI.

Pardon my fat fingered I-phone typing
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
731 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 85 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.