Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You see a lot here and elsewhere about Toyotas. Maybe I've missed them but can't recall seeing many if any posts on small or full size Nissan pickups. I know a couple of people that own them. One is full size the other is the smaller one. Both are older with a lot of miles and the owners say they've been good trucks.

Are Toyotas that much better, offer more options, better resale, etc. or what.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a 2010 Frontier crew-cab 4wd. Zero complaints in the 2.5 years and 40k miles I've owned it. Toyotas do have better resale, but otherwise I don't see any real difference in capability, options, etc. I can't comment on the Titan.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My bother-in-law has a Nissan truck (V-8 engine).

He loves it -- very trouble free (4 years old now, I think), handles great, very nice ride and goes like a bat out of hell.

His only negative comment is that it will pass anything except a gas station. Ah well, all that acceleration has a price!

John

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I love the '90's nissan pickups, super reliable, good backcountry trucks, the new ones like the frontier are not as good for me, have had both. Had a full size Titan, biggest POS i ever owned. Def NOT a work type truck, as prev poster mentioned, it did haul azz, but guzzled fuel like no other. If you can find a relatively low mileage hard body 4x4, dont hesitate to buy it, they are excellent.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good friend of mine has one, maybe a 2008? model year, Titan crew cab, he thinks its the best truck going. He doesn't baby it, hauls trailers loaded down with his rock crawler or many 4-wheelers so not a ton of weight, but not light either, and to my knowledge hasn't had any major repairs.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have several friends with Frontiers, I have a 2007 Tacoma 4 door. I looked at Frontier and at the time the back seat on the Toyota had a lot more room. Not sure today. As near as I can tell the Nissan might well be just as good. It just doesn't have the reputation, or the resale value. Long term, and with resale value figured in it will cost about the same to own both.

I only know one person driving a Titan. A local deputy who is a bloodhound dog handler drives a 4 door 4X4 Titan that belongs to the Sheriff's office. He has been pleased with it. It has performed well off-road, even had to use the winch a few times during searches so it isn't babied. He often pulls a pretty heavy trailer too. Gas milege is pretty bad, but he ain't paying for it. I understand the newer Tundras are just as bad.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Like Toyota, Nissan seems to think there's no need for a 3/4 ton. If we need to carry weight, it's Ford, Dodge, or Chevy.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It took them a loooong time just to make a 1/2 ton. I like my Tacoma, but think I'd still buy Ford, Chevy, or Dodge if I go back to another 1/2 ton. I know lots of folks who need and use 3/4 tons, I don't need one.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't know anyone with a Titan but the new one sure look bad ass!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
You see a lot here and elsewhere about Toyotas. Maybe I've missed them but can't recall seeing many if any posts on small or full size Nissan pickups.

There is a reason. Connect the dots.

That being said the older Hardbodys ran like the dickens.

220 Swift still king.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
2007 Titan here with almost 100k on it. So far it's been excellent.

Gas mileage is not great 13-14 in town 17-18 interstate but I'm the only guy I know with a full sized 4wd 4 door truck with 300+ HP that doesn't get 20mph towing a 5k trailer 75mph uphill in a head wind with the parking brake engaged while in 4wd low though.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was a kid I had a 68 Mercury Cougar with a souped up 302. The thing was fast.

My 2010 Titan is faster...and better on gas than the old Cougar.

A little over 50,000 miles and I just put struts in. That's it. I'm very happy with the truck so far. I can't imagine a truck that's more fun to drive.

Dan

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I had this done to mine, it makes them more fun to drive. laugh

http://uprev.com/secure/

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
2007 Titan here with almost 100k on it. So far it's been excellent.

Gas mileage is not great 13-14 in town 17-18 interstate but I'm the only guy I know with a full sized 4wd 4 door truck with 300+ HP that doesn't get 20mph towing a 5k trailer 75mph uphill in a head wind with the parking brake engaged while in 4wd low though.
The GM 6 litre LS engines do about the same. mtmuley

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Had a guy tell me the other day his 2014 Toyota Tundra got 51 mpg. I don't think he really knows WTF he is talking about though, lol.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
He's dyslexic.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I think he's dumbassic

He figured his mileage by watching his gas hand because when he filled it up it went above full and when it went down to the F mark it was 1 gallon and it was always around 50 miles traveled when it did that, so 51 mpg.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
You see a lot here and elsewhere about Toyotas. Maybe I've missed them but can't recall seeing many if any posts on small or full size Nissan pickups. I know a couple of people that own them. One is full size the other is the smaller one. Both are older with a lot of miles and the owners say they've been good trucks.

Are Toyotas that much better, offer more options, better resale, etc. or what.

It's a cult question. smile

I've owned both, had 3 Nissans, now driving a Tacoma. Both my last Nissan, and my current Taco, have 4.0L V6 engines and 6 speed manual transmissions. The Nissan had more HP and torque and better gas mileage. To overcome the engine differences, Toyota runs deeper gears and higher RPM, thus the lost gas mileage ... about 1.2 MPG across the long haul. The Nissan pulled trailers better despite having a lower factory tow weight rating.

I'm fairly satisfied with the Toyota, but the Nissan was a better truck.

Each person's needs and expectations are different. What I would say is this: if you are going into a purchase planning to keep the truck stock plus or minus changing tread pattern but not tire size, the Nissan is likely going to be a better choice, however, the toyota's front suspension geometry is a lot easier to modify and there's a lot more aftermarket support, so if you're going in planning for future change, the Toyota is probably a better candidate.

I'd also say that if you are ok with an automatic transmission, you might be better off with a half or three quarter ton fullsize truck. The small trucks are disappointing in the gas mileage arena. Mostly, though, I hate automatics enough that I think the tradeoff of a small truck is worthwhile.

Last edited by T_O_M; 03/23/15.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a MοΏ½bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think he got the 1 and the 5 bassakwards.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went to buy a Toyota in 2005, Toyota would not give me a fair price on my trade so I went to Nissan and drove away in an 05 4x2 Crewcab 4.0/6spd Frontier, I have owned it longer than any other vehicle and it has 195K on it now.

I think it has been a very good vehicle but needed repairs at times.

I drive it like I hate it, even now and have no issues running the 275hp 4.0 to the 6K redline. I have carried one ton of ceramic tile in the bed (on the bump stops), hauled multiple vehicles with a tow dolly and oversize trailers with no issues, it is balanced and tows very well for its size.

It has failed to start two times in 10 years, one time I was told a relay failed and Nissan replaced the power distribution box under warranty. A few years ago it would not start in the driveway, turned out the rubber bumper fell off the clutch safety switch, stuck it back on and it was fine.

In warranty, I believe it was 60K, I had the rear pinion seal replaced and the cam tensioners. The pinion nut backed off during a trip to Houston, luckily I was able to limp it to a friends house and re-install the nut that was captured in the yoke and have driven it as is for almost a year, I think this is related to the dealership work years ago, I believe the FSM calls or a new nut when installing the seal.

I have replaced the front wheel bearings, u-joints, carrier bearing, front brakes pads twice, spark plugs, and one window motor. Two weeks ago I replaced the cam chains and tensioners, 20 full hours of work but they were rattling real bad and mileage plummeted from 19.5 to 12.0 in less than 3 months, it is getting 19 again now.

The worst fuel mileage ever was 9 mpg, but it took me 23 hours to evacuate from the south side of Houston to College Station for the hurricane.

I would buy a Toyota, the small version although I am looking to get back in a fullsize truck.

I would buy another Frontier based on my experience over the last decade but I would get a 4x4 automatic with a white exterior and charcoal interior.

Oh, I drove it to work Monday for the first time since the cam chain replacement and got tagged by another driver...bad luck I guess.

Dave

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,081
Posts18,463,897
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.