Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Falcons or kestrels(?) heck if I know but they are awesome flyers.

You don't even know they're around until you see this little black/brown rocket come smokin' past!

There is a certain cottonwood tree(out of thousands...) roughly 3/4 mile away from where we've been feeding and they've nested in it for several years in a row. Couple years ago I saw what appeared to be an adult or big chick sitting on the ground near the nesting tree. It didn't move and I walked right up to it. Not sure if it was injured or what so all I could do was just leave it alone.

About the size of a pop can.

Last edited by SamOlson; 03/04/15.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kestrels are small falconiformes. They hunt in very similar fashions.

If you want to be in awe of something hunting in the air, watch a goshawk.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a kestrel is just a small type of falcon

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think we have just about everything but Snowy Owls. There is a lot of stuff this area ain't, but if you wildlife, we have plenty of it.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh okay, thanks for the clarification, learned something today!

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have been up close and personal with a Great Horned Owl. Let me tell you, that was one bad dude!

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sam, I have come to appreciate anyone that can catch a bird in flight with a camera.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I know of a guy who was driving down a section line with the windows open and a hawk flew in the cab. Talk about oh chit!

Also heard a story about an old timer(pre-cab days) who was out on his tractor working a field and a hawk accidently dive bombed right into his back. Guess it scared the ever livin' chit outta him as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You name it we got it.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard, it is tough for sure, especially when you're bouncin' around in the pickup over a field of frozen cow turds!

Sheridan, thanks for the links, I'll have to check that out.

Last edited by SamOlson; 03/04/15.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by zimhunter
You name it we got it.

Man, ain't THAT the truth.

....and one never knows WHAT is going to blow in off the Pacific / Sea of Cortez, either.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

P
PVT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I know of a guy who was driving down a section line with the windows open and a hawk flew in the cab. Talk about oh chit!

Also heard a story about an old timer(pre-cab days) who was out on his tractor working a field and a hawk accidently dive bombed right into his back. Guess it scared the ever livin' chit outta him as well.

I heard a story about an ole boy wearing a grey Stetson while hunting. A big Red Shouldred Hawk dived on him and took his hat. I'd have to let have drawers too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've a friend who lost a hat and some rather impressive streaks of scalp to a GHO some years back. It seems that chewing gum with a grey beard in the right light must look like a squirrel.

He shaved his head due to the scars, and the beard to avoid any more.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I bet he was cussin' when the hawk lifted his Stetson!

Little safer inside the cab, cheap entertainment.

Looking.....

[Linked Image]

Mouse!

[Linked Image]

P
PVT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I bet he was cussin' when the hawk lifted his Stetson!

Little safer inside the cab, cheap entertainment.

Looking.....

[Linked Image]

Mouse!

[Linked Image]

Awesome. Well done.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have redtails and a couple of other smaller hawks I have never totally identified. Ospreys, owls of a couple of varieties and the occasional wayward bald eagle.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 03/04/15.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
We have redtails and a couple of other smaller hawks I have never totally identified. Ospreys, owls of a couple of varieties and the occasional wayward bald eagle.

You have red shouldered (they have a russet breast), broadwings during some seasons, Cooper's, sharp-shinned, and American kestrels.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PVT

Awesome. Well done.

One of the most awesome things I have ever witnessed was about 7-8 years ago. My buddy and I were out driving a rural gravel road when we stopped to take a leak.

Standing there when notice 2 bald eagles flying around about 4-500 yards away. Not an uncommon sight until they both flew way in the hell up in the air and pretty much locked talons(?) and spiraled down to the ground.

Spinning and twisting around until they got fairly close to the ground when they separated. They repeated this 2-3 times and of course we just stood along the road and took it all in.

It was late March or April when it took place and the only thing we could think of was they were mating.

Neither of us had ever seen anything like it. Pretty wild maneuvering.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep Sam thats their courting display and usually happens in April....very cool you saw in person.....seen hundreds of bald eagles but have only seen that via video....

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (219 Wasp, 1234, 2500HD, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 40 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.